Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
A Serbian Film
Quite enjoyed this although there were a couple of scenes which I found extremely unpleasent and hard to stomach.
I can't get that cool sound track outta my head..
Old 09-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Evil Dead

Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown: Pretty interesting documentary on Lovecraft. Nothing too terribly revelatory for most Lovecraft fans, but a good watch nonetheless.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Bedazzled (remake)

I love this film, great fun and it takes me back :')

The Ferrets like it...
Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
A Serbian Film
Quite enjoyed this although there were a couple of scenes which I found extremely unpleasent and hard to stomach.
Yuck!!

Just read about it on IMDB. "Up there with Irreversible and Salo".

Never gonna watch this one, that's for sure.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Evil Dead

"Murder By Decree" (1979)
-Christopher Plummer, James Mason

Plot:

Press Kit Synopsis:
Murder By Decree: Synopsis
It is England in the Autumn of 1888 and Queen Victoria still rules over the British Empire. Sherlock Holmes (Christopher Plummer) the legendary private detective and his loyal companion and chronicler, the earnest Dr. Watson (James Mason), are enjoying an opulent first night at the opera in London’s fashionable West End.

Meanwhile, in the squalid jungle of the East End of London, a prostitute is being horribly murdered. The dreaded killer, commonly known as Jack the Ripper for the gruesome manner in which he mutilates the bodies of his victims, has struck again. The sickly miasma of fear is as palpable as the autumn fogs which envelop the slums. The forces of law and order seem powerless to stop the savage butchery.

Holmes is approached by shadowy figures to take on the case. Although Police Inspectors Foxborough (David Hemmings) and Lestrade ( Frank Finlay) more than welcome his assistance, Sir Charles Warren (Anthony Quayle), the Commissioner of Police from Scotland Yard, actively does not.

The master criminologist is guided in his pursuit of justice, through the seamy Victorian underworld, to the psychic Robert Lees (Donald Sutherland) who fearfully points him in another direction. Holmes and Watson, constantly in danger for their lives and liberty, become not only the grand masters but also the pawns in this lethal game of hide and seek.

They search out and are found by the hapless Mary Kelly (Susan Clark), a girl of the streets, whose only crime is the knowledge of a fatal secret, which she will protect at all costs. She in turn leads them to Annie Crook (Genevieve Bujold), a servant who made the mistake of marrying above her station, whom even the illustrious detective cannot protect from herself.

The hunters and the hunted stealthily move through the mist-shrouded maze of Whitechapel’s cobblestone streets where every shadow instills fear. Watson is violently attacked by, and Holmes at last comes face to face with, the Ripper.

As he inexorably unravels the mystery, Holmes crosses swords with Lord Salisbury (John Gielgud), the Prime Minister of England, and finds himself threatened by the macabre power of a secret society and the all-pervasive, long reaching might of the Establishment. He is challenged by no ordinary murderer but one with influential and determined friends and what he has to stop – if he can – is Murder by Decree.

Phantom's Review: In my eyes, this is the best Sherlock Holmes movie ever made. Brilliant cast, fine acting and direction, wonderful sets and costumes and a fantastic story.
Simply the best
Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 PM
HDC Idol

So I saw the movie The Runaways the other day...

...And say what you will about Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning, but they put up AMAZING performances as Joan Jett and Cherie Currie. Incredibly well-done, this movie is a fantastic bio-pic and haunting look into the short-lived career and stolen childhoods of The Runaways. It's a fantastic character piece and and definitely an engaging film. Michael Shannon, who plays Producer Kim Fowley, does so with the right amount of sleaze and art.

My only complaint about the movie was that it was too short - I wanted more...

So I went ahead and checked out...

Edgeplay: A Film About The Runaways

What an amazing documentary. Directed by Victory Tischler-Blue, bassist #2 for the band after Jackie Fox quit, Edgeplay is an incredibly well-done and honest film told through depicted through interviews with Vickie Blue, Cherie Currie, Lita Ford, Jackie Fox, Kari Krome, Sandy West, and Kim Fowley. Interesting, sad, disturbing, and ultimately engaging look into the lives of teenage girls who were taken advantage of by their Production Company. It's too bad that Joan Jett was not a part of the film - My only complaint with this one is that, again, I wish that it was longer.

Both movies are HIGHLY recommended if you like The Runaways or if you're interested in good, solid music bio-pics or documentaries. Don't let the presence of teenie-boppers Stewart and Fanning fool you - They did an amazing job.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:24 PM
HDC Idol

Evil Aliens (2005)

OK. Wow. Quite possibly the most fun I've had on a random Netflix Rental since we picked Murder Party randomly out of a hat...

Low-budget BBC schlock that is an absolute BLAST, Evil Aliens never once takes itself seriously and delivers a truly enjoyable slapstick gorefest. I found myself chuckling outloud more than once. It's sort of like Feast with a lower budget, more silly, and... British.

HIGHLY recommended - V, Roshiq, et al: I think you'll get an absolute kick out of this.

Elvis - Even though you're not generally impressed with horror comedy nowadays, I think that you'd enjoy this one.

4.75/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Misanthrope

Cool I'll give it a spin Chrono

-----

Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Masoch's mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Yuck!!

Just read about it on IMDB. "Up there with Irreversible and Salo".

Never gonna watch this one, that's for sure.
I can't say I will ever want to watch this again. I did have nightmares and feel physically sick regarding one specific scene which to be honest, I felt was completely unecessary.
No body who has children should EVER watch this. x
Old 09-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Thanks for the rec, chrono. Trailer looks pretty good also.:)

If I Want To Whistle, I Whistle (2010)

The story of this 2010 Silver Bear Winner in Berlin Film Festival centers around Silviu, an 18-year-old about to be released from a juvenile detention center is pushed over the limit when his mother reappears to take his little younger brother with her at Italy. But Silviu blames his mother for his bad upbringing and takes desperate measures to stop her from doing that as he wants to save his brother from his own dissolute fate. Meanwhile, he finds himself in a 'special date' with a Sociology student, Ana, working in the penitentiary as an intern...under a hostage situation!

This subtle take on the young-man-in-prison genre from Romania perhaps like a Slumdog Millionaire for the Romanian viewers as there are some comments at imdb for blaming it as a overrated, stereotype or nothing new for them. As I haven't been seen much of a Romanian film before so I find it pretty decent and kind of engrossing actually.

>>: B

Road Kill (2010)

>>: C

Pin: A Plastic Nightmare (1988)

Haven't heard of it much before but it's a beautiful low budget Psycho-thriller. A well executed story treated by a nice cast and a great ending.

>>: B+