Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Little Boo

The Birth of a Killer

It was around 4 am when I heard footsteps coming from downstairs. I had been awake all night, I think. I must have been watching a film on television. There was no time to dwell on it, I had to see what the noise was. The light was off and I couldn’t see anything. I made my way over to the door but tripped over something on my way. It must have been a bag I’d forgotten to move. Quickly, I shot out of my bedroom and walked towards my parents room, to tell them about the noise.

They weren’t there. There was blood… on the floor, and on the door. I noticed a knife lay on the floor, outside my room. I grabbed it, I’d need something to defend myself with. I continued towards the stairs, trying to be quiet so the intruder wouldn’t hear me. Oh god, what am I going to do?

I quickly made my way in to the living room. If I look back now, I know I will run straight out the front door. I have to know what has happened. I cant leave my family without knowing.

The living room was clear. I turned back, to check in the kitchen, he’s got to be there. The intruder must have come through the back door. As I reached the outside of my kitchen, I saw it. A shadowy figure stood in the doorway, about the same size as me. It had a wry smile on its face, as though it was mocking me, laughing at what it has inevitably done. I dropped my blood-soaked knife, suddenly overcome with fear. I wanted nothing more than to turn around and run. Run until I collapsed from exhaustion, I wanted to be anywhere but here. But I couldn’t, quickly I picked the knife back up, ready to lunge at this creature with all of my strength. But it was gone. It must have backed off into the kitchen. So on I went, hunting the creature. Sweat dripped heavily from my brow, I felt so hot, adrenaline was racing through my veins.

As I neared the door, I heard a shriek of pure agony, or grief, coming from back upstairs. I raced through the living room and up the stairs. The creature must have gotten around me somehow. I heard somebody crying in my room. A man.

Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw once I walked into my bedroom. This had to be a nightmare. I wanted to wake up. I started hitting myself. Banging my head against the wall, slapping my face, shouting for myself to wake up. This can’t be happening. This can’t be real.

There my mother lay, throat cut, stomach gutted, with her intestines half pulled out. My father was there too. He was desperately picking up parts of her mangled body, trying to piece her back together. He was weeping, screaming. At me? Why was he screaming at me? I couldn’t make sense of what he was saying. There was only white noise in my ears. I saw his lips move, but couldn’t hear him. Did he want me to help him? There was no use. She was done for.

And then it came to me. He did this… he had to. He is covered in blood. He must have killed her while I slept, and dragged her into here while I went downstairs, looking for the intruder. Only there wasn’t an intruder. It was my father all along. He had to have drugged me. The creature was never real, how stupid I was.

He had left my mother now. He was stumbling towards me, hands soaked in my mothers blood. He pushed me to the ground, trying to wrestle the knife from my grasp. No! I wasn’t going to die like my mother. Anger and rage overwhelmed me. I stabbed him. In the chest. I stabbed him again, and again, and again. Until he lay there motionless, blood pumping from his open wounds. “You did this yourself!” I screamed, breathing heavily. Saliva dripped from my open mouth.

I stared up in horror, the shadowy creature was there again. Grinning. It looked so proud, so pleased with what I had done. It nodded with approval. I sat there a few minutes, on top of my fathers corpse. It was as though a filter was being removed from my brain. It hurt. It was so painful to think back; but I had to. After seeing my mother lie there motionless, the memories flooded back.

I had been so angry that day. Angry and depressed. I had recently left school, I had no prospects. No future. Everyday had been the same. My parents would scream and shout at me every morning. Telling me to get out of bed. It was funny thinking back to it. I didn’t care anymore.

I entered their bedroom, to tell them goodnight. My father wasn’t there.
“Where’s dad?” I’d asked.
“He’s had to rush off to work, he won’t be gone long” She replied.
There, in the corner of the room, was the creature again. A shadow. Who’s shadow I didn’t know. I turned pale as a ghost, slowly backing off out of the room. Nausea overwhelmed me. I retched and vomited onto the floor. Mother turned around to see what I was looking at, then back to me. I was staring at her now, the landing light glistening off the blade of the knife I was holding.
“What‘s gotten in to you!”, she screamed. “Go back to bed!”.

I distinctly remember grinning at her. A vicious, bloodthirsty grin. The shadow was hanging over her now, staring at me, knowingly. A smile stretching across his face. I brought the knife down on her in a vicious arc. Blood spattered onto the door and across the floor. The knife had pierced her lung. She screamed out in agony, unable to breath any longer. I dragged her into my room. I wasn’t done. I slowly carved out her stomach, letting her entrails spill out onto my bedroom floor. I saw she was unconscious now. Was she dead or had she just passed out? I slit her throat, ear to ear, just to make sure. Tears were falling freely from my face. I hadn’t noticed.

Slowly, I turned my bedroom light off. Crept back into bed, and lay there. I wondered when my father would be home.

Tags
fiction, original, short, story