Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-07-2014, 06:01 AM
HDC Idol

There was a time when I was very very angry and felt very very self-righteous about my opinions, especially when it comes to movies - And I would take that onto online forums; I know that I was definitely like that when I first came onto HDC -

But I realized that I was investing far too much negative energy in ultimately my thoughts on Pop Culture. And not only that, I was alienating my friends -

The realization came one day when my friend was talking about a RomCom and she sheepishly said to me, "Well, uhm, I like to watch movies that entertain me..." As if that was something to be ashamed of!

But then I realized that she was shielding herself from my snobby rebuke.

I don't want to alienate my friends anymore and when I express my opinions I also try hard to use the words "didn't work for me personally" and etc. because I don't want to be in a place where I make someone feel bad for the type of movie/book/entertainment/etc. that they consume.

I'm still picky about the movies that I enjoy, and what bothers me is that I think that I'm still perceived as some kind of hate-loving Hipster (example: When I wrote on here that I didn't care for Pacific Rim, I was worried that folks would perceive me as being a film snob - - I still have anxiety about those kinds of things) - The thing to keep in mind is that being open-minded goes both ways. People who lash out at critics still need to be OK with people not liking the same things they do.

I'm sorry that that type of negativity bled onto your Facebook, Urge - I've purged most of the angry people from my Friend list (most of them having to do with political rantings that I just didn't want to see) and preoccupy my time mostly by reposting silly pictures and memes.

I don't consume Twitter or Tumblr or blogging sites much, either - I find it interesting how much weight people put on a one-line tweet, both positively and negatively.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I'm still picky about the movies that I enjoy, and what bothers me is that I think that I'm still perceived as some kind of hate-loving Hipster (example: When I wrote on here that I didn't care for Pacific Rim, I was worried that folks would perceive me as being a film snob - - I still have anxiety about those kinds of things) - The thing to keep in mind is that being open-minded goes both ways. People who lash out at critics still need to be OK with people not liking the same things they do.
I like reading your reviews. I think we have quite different tastes but you've steered me towards some good stuff
Old 01-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

oh I never for a second expect all people to like the same things - or what I like ..

I just started getting sick of the constant negativity and poor articulation - or like Elvis said - people just cribbing on other critics articulation on why they hate - everything.

the problem with facebook - is you aren't just exposed to 'friends' you're exposed to your friends friends - and you have no control over that.
That's where I saw most of the bullshit ...

I do get a little sick of critics though .. many who aren't that thoughtful - and make a name for themselves through negative arrogance - something so many people seem to worship. that's the heart of the social media that I really hate - the negativity and arrogance that is widely perceived as cool. It's an ugly side of human nature that used to be contained and controlled by eliminating people from your social circle.
Online it's become an invasive beast ... it seeps into everything ..

I have no time for negativity - as always I strive to find a positive experience everywhere I go. Online - or in the big bad real world..
Old 01-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Hellraiser

new horror magazine from the Puppet master creators

stumbled across this new magazine from Full Moon, seems along the lines of Horror Hound type and cult horror....the cover art is AWESOME!
check it out
http://deliriummagazine.com/
Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Horror Fan

Thumbs up

Looks pretty cool. Wasn't aware Full Moon was still going these days.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Horror Fan

News says 90% of U.S. is below freezing today. But is the other 10% that much warmer?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
yeah - facebook was doing that to me too ..
once I jumped off it felt like a 1000 pound weight was lifted off of my shoulders.
Why? I mean, you can pick and choose who you actually interact with and who you completely ignore.

I feel the same way about everybody obsessively reviewing everything in their lives but I know a few people who are just as deep into reading every review of things they enjoy that they can find. It's harder to sift through the rubbish now but I do enjoy they fact that a lot of the power has been stripped from the "professional reviewer" as their motives aren't exactly clear. I'm at the point where I enjoy hearing about what people love because I think the most passion is there, even if I don't love the same things. I'm getting tired of hearing about what people hate, it seems lazy to review things with such cynicism that you come off as somebody who just dislikes everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
News says 90% of U.S. is below freezing today. But is the other 10% that much warmer?
Good question, I couldn't tell much difference between 0 and -10...

Last edited by Despare; 01-07-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Why? I mean, you can pick and choose who you actually interact with and who you completely ignore.
I found that I was hiding feeds like crazy - and wanting to unfriend people because either the friends they had - or they were turning into something I didn't like.
Some people treat facebook the way they drive. in person they are fine but on facebook/driving their car, they become lunatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
I'm at the point where I enjoy hearing about what people love because I think the most passion is there, even if I don't love the same things. I'm getting tired of hearing about what people hate, it seems lazy to review things with such cynicism that you come off as somebody who just dislikes everything.
that's exactly it - I love hearing what people like too ..
but that's become extremely rare ... far more of the other nonsense
Old 01-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Banned

yeah...I usually always stick a "IMO" in a review, especially if its negative
Old 01-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Was going to mention something about the sub freezing temps we've had over the last few days, but it seems like most of the US has been living on planet Hoth as well.