Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Friday film?
Part 1 3 16.67%
Part 2 7 38.89%
Part 3 1 5.56%
Part 4: The Final Chapter 2 11.11%
Part 5: A New Beginning 1 5.56%
Part 6: Jason Lives 0 0%
Part 7: The New Blood 2 11.11%
Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan 1 5.56%
Part 9: Jason Goes to Hell 0 0%
Part 10: Jason X 0 0%
Part 11: Freddy vs Jason 1 5.56%
Part 12: Remake 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2016, 12:49 PM
VHS Hoarder

Opinons on the Friday the 13th Series?

I promise this is NOT just a plug for my movie review site (pats self on back) but I recently reviewed all twelve F13 flicks and am interested to hear opinions on the franchise as a whole or the individual films.

When I was young my mom gave me $5 to run down to the video store with a friend and we found ourselves unsupervised in the VERY exciting horror section. Something about the VHS box covers on the Friday the 13th films got me excited (I'd always found cabins in the woods to be creepy) but I didn't know which one to rent. The video store had all of them so I rented the original and Jason Goes to Hell knowing they were the first and last (at the time) and hopefully that would give me an introductory insight into what happened in between.

Needless to say this was a confusing start since Jason is just a deformed footnote in the original and a fully grow demonic hulk in Part 9. I went chronologically through the series after that which straightened things out for me.

After seeing them all many times over the years I'd say I'm partial to Part 2 and Part 7 (The New Blood). What about you?
Old 05-30-2016, 03:32 PM
Penthouse Pauper

Part 2 will always be my favorite. I HATED Jason X 1st viewing, but it grew on me. It's so cheesy, it's become a guilty pleasure of mine over the years. I've only seen bits & pieces of the remake.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Horror > Everything

I'm a huge fan of part two. It's packed full of slashery goodness, introduces us to adult Jason, and features Jason in what I think is the best mask. That bag/hood thing is a great look.
I do enjoy the first F13, but not as much as the sequel. There are some classic kills but it's really pretty average story telling. I do think it's a very fun watch.

Part Three is pretty cool but doesn't offer anything new, except for the hockey mask, of course. Points awarded for introducing the iconic look. Best thing about F13 pt three is that it is made in 3D, and the effect holds up pretty well.

After part three, the series in my opinion is just a jumble of predictable and forgettable poop...until Jason X. Yes, a lot of horror fans may scoff, but Jason in space actually worked for me on a humor and horror level. Fun FX and a group of people you can't wait to see die? Love it! And then there is the David Cronenberg cameo. Victory!

Freddy vs Jason is watchable but not exceptional, and I think that would describe how I feel about the remake as well.

Last edited by Repo'd; 05-30-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:57 AM
Horror Fan

I like part VIII. For me it epitomizes the 80s slasher (and the 80s in general). NYC before it was a nanny state.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:07 AM
Evil Dead

First one then and now.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Immortal horror fan

I know I posted by breakdown of the series somewhere on the forum. I still jump between Part 2 and Part 6 as my favorites.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
I'm a huge fan of part two. It's packed full of slashery goodness, introduces us to adult Jason, and features Jason in what I think is the best mask. That bag/hood thing is a great look.
I do enjoy the first F13, but not as much as the sequel. There are some classic kills but it's really pretty average story telling. I do think it's a very fun watch.

Part Three is pretty cool but doesn't offer anything new, except for the hockey mask, of course. Points awarded for introducing the iconic look. Best thing about F13 pt three is that it is made in 3D, and the effect holds up pretty well.

After part three, the series in my opinion is just a jumble of predictable and forgettable poop...until Jason X. Yes, a lot of horror fans may scoff, but Jason in space actually worked for me on a humor and horror level. Fun FX and a group of people you can't wait to see die? Love it! And then there is the David Cronenberg cameo. Victory!

Freddy vs Jason is watchable but not exceptional, and I think that would describe how I feel about the remake as well.
That's funny that's how I feel about the Nightmare On Elm Street series. Specifically after the third movie the franchise went to shite.

For the most part the Fri 13th movies have held up well considering what they are. You watch them to see some kids get killed in a gruesome fashion with an occasional boon here and there. The franchise didn't try to reinvent the wheel but stuck to a simple formula that has worked somewhat well. I mean it has produced twelve movies for a reason, right?
Old 08-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post
That's funny that's how I feel about the Nightmare On Elm Street series. Specifically after the third movie the franchise went to shite.

For the most part the Fri 13th movies have held up well considering what they are. You watch them to see some kids get killed in a gruesome fashion with an occasional boon here and there. The franchise didn't try to reinvent the wheel but stuck to a simple formula that has worked somewhat well. I mean it has produced twelve movies for a reason, right?
A boon?

Old 08-27-2016, 06:33 PM
Evil Dead

Whoops, meant to type "boob." Bloody auto correct.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:48 AM
Evil Dead

The Final Chapter is my favorite, with parts 6 and 2 right behind. May as well rank the entire set:

Reboot
FVJ