Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Little Boo

Best and worst horror remake?

I know that most people hate remakes, but it doesn't mean they are all bad.

Best-Evil Dead

Worst-Hellraiser revelations
Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Evil Dead

True... they're definitely not all bad. I just think most of us are sick of them because there's so many of them these days.

So...

WORST remake: "House of Wax"

BEST remake: "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1978)
Old 02-12-2014, 11:28 PM
ventricle

It seems most remakes are worse... unless it's just most remakes after 1990... But there's definitely some good remakes:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers 78
The Thing 82
The Fly 86
Evil Dead 2 87
The Ring 02

All the originals were good too though.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Evil Dead

Fede Alvarez's Evil Dead is one of the best splatter films made in the last few decades and easily one of the best remakes from any genre ever.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark produced by Guillermo del Toro had the creepy atmosphere but wasn't as scary as the original. Still I found it enjoyable.

The Marcus Nispel remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was decent and I was glad to see R. Lee Ermey cast as the sheriff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 78
The Thing 82
The Fly 86
These are more re-adaptations of the same source material than they are remakes of the previous films.

Philip Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers adapts the novel The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney but also has some great homages to 1956 film. My favorite being the car scene with Kevin McCarthy and the rest of the casting is phenomenal.

John Carpenter's The Thing also has some great homages to The Thing from Another World but it's a far more accurate adaption of the John W. Campbell short story Who Goes There?.

David Cronenberg's The Fly re-imagines the George Langelaan short story and the Chris Walas' special effect makeups are incredible.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:23 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
Fede Alvarez's Evil Dead is one of the best splatter films made in the last few decades and easily one of the best remakes from any genre ever.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark produced by Guillermo del Toro had the creepy atmosphere but wasn't as scary as the original. Still I found it enjoyable.

The Marcus Nispel remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was decent and I was glad to see R. Lee Ermey cast as the sheriff.

These are more re-adaptations of the same source material than they are remakes of the previous films.

Philip Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers adapts the novel The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney but also has some great homages to 1956 film. My favorite being the car scene with Kevin McCarthy and the rest of the casting is phenomenal.

John Carpenter's The Thing also has some great homages to The Thing from Another World but it's a far more accurate adaption of the John W. Campbell short story Who Goes There?.

David Cronenberg's The Fly re-imagines the George Langelaan short story and the Chris Walas' special effect makeups are incredible.
True, there's a technical difference between remake and re-interpretation, but I didn't get the sense the OP (original poster) was making that distinction. Using that distinction, I really have little, to no, interest in ever seeing a remake. I don't see any sense in making anything but re-interpretation films.

I agree with most everything you mention on the re-interpretation films, except for one. I most decidedly did not think much of Evil Dead 2013. I've seen all three versions. I've posted a review of film already, I don't really want to go into it now, but looking at the mass reviews (such as Rottentomatoes Critics 62% and Audience 64%), I think my assessment of it has a whole lot of company. But I am glad you liked it. I wished I liked it that much.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:58 AM
Misanthrope

I've said this probably countless times on here but Tom Savini's 1990 remake of Night Of The Living Dead is a criminally overlooked remake.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:46 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I've said this probably countless times on here but Tom Savini's 1990 remake of Night Of The Living Dead is a criminally overlooked remake.
I quite like that one as well and it was interesting how it was updated for the times. Patricia Tallman as Barbara is much more of the kick ass female protagonist we had come to expect from our horror heroines. Was this Tony Todd's first horror movie? I think it predates his role in Candyman (which I am also a fan of).
Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Little Boo

Favorites: I Spit On Your Grave and Friday The 13th

Least Favorite: Halloween, Last House On The Left,
Old 02-25-2014, 12:08 AM
Misanthrope

For sure thar Last House On The Left remake was indeed up there with the worst. I hated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
Was this Tony Todd's first horror movie? I think it predates his role in Candyman (which I am also a fan of).
Yeah I believe so. Candyman is great definitely his best role.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:23 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Best - Ju-on

Worst - Dark Water