Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games

Old 06-05-2018, 11:37 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
The Resident Evil 1 remake is great I agree, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for the Resident Evil 2 remake. I just have a feeling that it will be another Resident Evil 4 copycat just like Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6. In other words more over-the-top action with zombies and mutants thrown in and "manly man" heroes and villains with all of the female characters being reduced to pointless fanservice. I heard that Resident Evil 7 was different but somehow I don't get the feeling that the Resident Evil 2 remake will be like Resident Evil 7, and if it is that will be sad too.
I have high hopes for the Resident Evil 2 remake. I think they know it has to be as good as the Resident Evil remake. I did think that Resident Evil 5 was a definite step down from Resident Evil 4, which is a classic even with the more action style. I heard Resident Evil 6 is even worse than 5. I still haven't played 6 yet. Not really looking forward to it right now.

Don't forget Code Veronica. I thought that was very good and should be included in the best games of the series. I heard the 3DS game was good as well. But I think only the first game is on the 3DS.

Quote:
BTW I had a change of heart. I think instead of wasting $300 on a PS4 just for a few overpriced games I might get one of those retro game consoles like they sell at FYE. They have one that plays Sega Genesis games with 81 games built in but there is also a system that plays Sega, Nintendo, and Super Nintendo cartridges. I could buy one plus a couple of wired controllers and maybe look for old used games on Amazon or Ebay. I would love to get the chance to play The Sega Six Pak, Earthworm Jim, Ghosts n Ghouls, The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past, and Super Mario again.
I have the retro styled SNES Classic and 3DS. I've been playing the Castlevania DS games. I believe Castlevania 4 is on the SNES Classic. But I got that for the unreleased Starfox game.

I still need to play Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins on PSP but they never released the final version in the States. Only in Japan and I think it's expensive. At least for a new copy.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:54 PM
Immortal horror fan

Resident Evil 2 Remake confirmed to have the action style behind the shoulder camera. It still looks very good and I'll probably get it day one. But I'm a bit disappointed they didn't try to mix things up a bit or have it like the original Resident Evil remake.

The characters new look isn't really hooking me yet either. I guess overall since we did get the Resident Evil remake which was a big jump and then Resident Evil 4 which also was something different, this first showing isn't wowing me as much.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:39 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Resident Evil 2 Remake confirmed to have the action style behind the shoulder camera. It still looks very good and I'll probably get it day one. But I'm a bit disappointed they didn't try to mix things up a bit or have it like the original Resident Evil remake.

The characters new look isn't really hooking me yet either. I guess overall since we did get the Resident Evil remake which was a big jump and then Resident Evil 4 which also was something different, this first showing isn't wowing me as much.
Told ya so.

But I think that if and when I do get a PS4 I'm just going to get the Yakuza games because those are my new favorite games. Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami look awesome and Sega is releasing Yakuza Kiwami 2 in the U.S. in August. Also I heard that Sega might do ports of Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 which would be fantastic and that would mean I can get Yakuza 6 and have a complete set of Yakuza games.

Edit: I just looked at some of the images of the RE2 remake and I can honestly say I ain't too happy with how they changed Claire's appearance while keeping Leon basically the same. She's showing more cleavage (of course) and doesn't even look as cool as she did in the original game. But really, what else should I expect from Capcom after what they did to Jill in Resident Evil 5?

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 06-13-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:54 AM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Told ya so.

But I think that if and when I do get a PS4 I'm just going to get the Yakuza games because those are my new favorite games. Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami look awesome and Sega is releasing Yakuza Kiwami 2 in the U.S. in August. Also I heard that Sega might do ports of Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 which would be fantastic and that would mean I can get Yakuza 6 and have a complete set of Yakuza games.

Edit: I just looked at some of the images of the RE2 remake and I can honestly say I ain't too happy with how they changed Claire's appearance while keeping Leon basically the same. She's showing more cleavage (of course) and doesn't even look as cool as she did in the original game. But really, what else should I expect from Capcom after what they did to Jill in Resident Evil 5?
I should check out those Yakuza games one day. They don't seem to be my thing though.

I didn't like Claire's look either from the quick shots in the trailer. Her look changes from game to game though so I'll just have to wait and see to give my final thoughts. The best look was probably Code Veronica just because that was a good game. But I think she's in one of the Revelations games too.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:48 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
I just have a feeling that it will be another Resident Evil 4 copycat just like Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6.
This is a personal sore point for me.
I loved resident evil. Loved it.
I was a teen in the ps1 era, and I remember seeing the first RE previewed in a magazine (EGM if I'm not mistaken...not sure if that even still exists) and I so looked forward to playing it.
Didn't disappoint.

I played RE1, yeah...not sure if it was what I expected but damn it had me on edge.
RE2 came along and fucking blew me away.
RE3...hm, not so much, but still enjoyable - perhaps it was that we'd seen largely the best the platform would offer from RE2?

I say through survivor, a kind of horrible "on rails" shooter.

Then came Code Veronica, which for me was a step in the right direction, evolution/perspective wise for the series...it actually wowed me a little bit to see it looking so much fresher again (I played this one on dreamcast which I still think is an excellent looking system), and playing with some of the legacy characters again, with a slightly new and different storyline and group of antagonists.
I actually put this one right next to RE2 for my personal liking.

I played around on a gamecube for a while, saw the first RE remake and RE:0, and again, like with Code Veronica, I thought "Hey, this is a step in the right direction to evolve the series".
I never finished either of those due to only having access to a borrowed console, but I'd really love to check them out again sometime.

Then came RE4.
I know it's got fans. I know they'll hate me saying this...but RE4 functionally killed Resident Evil for me. That damn over the shoulder perspective. The character felt sluggish. I didn't like the storyline. I just found myself not caring. So I turned it off after about a half hour. Then I tried it again, years later, at the insistence of a few people that if I just gave it a chance, it was one of the best horror games EVER. Tried it again. Got a bit further...just...was not engaged.
RE 5&6 just look like more polished clones of that.

...so yeah, I'd hope the RE2 remake pays enough respect to the original to take a step back into the perspective we know and love. Not entirely the same. I want it looking good. I want the character animations smoother and faster. I'd like some new moves similar to the first remake.
If they RE4 it, I just won't play.

Quote:
Oh. Right. Guess that about puts me out.

Quote:
I think instead of wasting $300 on a PS4 just for a few overpriced games I might get one of those retro game consoles like they sell at FYE.
Make sure you look at some reviews first. Lots of these are known to have issues, even the semi official one.
The sega mega drive (genesis) one for example is known to have really horrible sound.

If you can go on facebook, one guy does a collection of emulators and games that run on TV via HDMI, and comes with snes style controllers. Well over 5000 games on there. Arcade and home consoles.
It's called the "microcade" and I think runs off something called raspberry pi, if that means anything to you.
Hell of a collection to play around with.
That said, he does operate out of Australia so you might have to look into getting him to send it.
Money well spent though, if youre a fan of the oldskool.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Well Claire's appearance never changed that drastically before. In RE2 she was dressed as a biker girl (because that's basically what she was) and that same biker look was carried over to Code Veronica and The Darkside Chronicles. She no longer dressed like a biker in Degeneration or Revelations 2 but I always assumed that was because she was a little older in those. I guess the reason this new look bothers me so much is because it's like they're trying to devalue her role as a cool leading female character. It's not even just the fact that her boobs are hanging out, it's the fact that she looks like an ordinary girly girl civy and not a biker!

Ugh, I think I really am done with Resident Evil now! I won't be spending any more of my money on those games ever again.

And the Yakuza games are pretty awesome. Everybody tries to compare them to games like Grand Theft Auto and they really are nothing like those. The games have such great stories and characters and there are so many cool mini games to enjoy. Plus the characters you play as are a actually good guys not bad guys.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
This is a personal sore point for me.
I loved resident evil. Loved it.
I was a teen in the ps1 era, and I remember seeing the first RE previewed in a magazine (EGM if I'm not mistaken...not sure if that even still exists) and I so looked forward to playing it.
Didn't disappoint.

I played RE1, yeah...not sure if it was what I expected but damn it had me on edge.
RE2 came along and fucking blew me away.
RE3...hm, not so much, but still enjoyable - perhaps it was that we'd seen largely the best the platform would offer from RE2?

I say through survivor, a kind of horrible "on rails" shooter.

Then came Code Veronica, which for me was a step in the right direction, evolution/perspective wise for the series...it actually wowed me a little bit to see it looking so much fresher again (I played this one on dreamcast which I still think is an excellent looking system), and playing with some of the legacy characters again, with a slightly new and different storyline and group of antagonists.
I actually put this one right next to RE2 for my personal liking.

I played around on a gamecube for a while, saw the first RE remake and RE:0, and again, like with Code Veronica, I thought "Hey, this is a step in the right direction to evolve the series".
I never finished either of those due to only having access to a borrowed console, but I'd really love to check them out again sometime.

Then came RE4.
I know it's got fans. I know they'll hate me saying this...but RE4 functionally killed Resident Evil for me. That damn over the shoulder perspective. The character felt sluggish. I didn't like the storyline. I just found myself not caring. So I turned it off after about a half hour. Then I tried it again, years later, at the insistence of a few people that if I just gave it a chance, it was one of the best horror games EVER. Tried it again. Got a bit further...just...was not engaged.
RE 5&6 just look like more polished clones of that.

...so yeah, I'd hope the RE2 remake pays enough respect to the original to take a step back into the perspective we know and love. Not entirely the same. I want it looking good. I want the character animations smoother and faster. I'd like some new moves similar to the first remake.
If they RE4 it, I just won't play.

Oh. Right. Guess that about puts me out.
I was about 10 when I first played Resident Evil: The Director's Cut and this was a few years after it came out like I think in the year 2000. I wanted to play it because at the time I was really getting into zombie movies after renting the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead and I fell in love with everything about the game. I also really loved Resident Evil 2 and 3 and I also enjoyed the remake of the first game and Resident Evil 0 as well as the spinoff Resident Evil Outbreak.

I know you might disagree with me but personally I liked Resident Evil 3 the best. We got to see more of the devastation done to Raccoon City in that game and seeing the city wrecked up with crashed cars and dead bodies laying on the street was very scary to me as a kid. Nemesis was also a terrifying monster who kept me on my toes, and I liked how this game had so many different types of zombies compared to the first two games. You had skinny zombies, fat zombies, girl zombies, civilian zombies, cop zombies, biker zombies, suited zombies, and of course the lab coat zombies and nude test subject zombies which appear towards the end in almost every game (kind of like the nurses in the Silent Hill games). It even made sense where the zombies showed up like how a lot of the cop zombies appeared near and inside the police station, the zombies in suits coming out of the town hall, and the zombies in lab coats appearing in the hospital and the secret laboratory. There were even female zombies in fancy dresses hanging out in front of the Goddess of Time paintings inside the clocktower. A lot of detail was put into these zombies compared to the other Resident Evil games which I thought was cool as hell.

I used to like Resident Evil 4 and even Resident Evil 5 but I've grown to hate those games now because of how much they have changed my favorite game franchise. It's not fair to even call these "survival horror" games because they are clearly more action than anything.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 06-21-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:52 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Well Claire's appearance never changed that drastically before. In RE2 she was dressed as a biker girl (because that's basically what she was) and that same biker look was carried over to Code Veronica and The Darkside Chronicles. She no longer dressed like a biker in Degeneration or Revelations 2 but I always assumed that was because she was a little older in those. I guess the reason this new look bothers me so much is because it's like they're trying to devalue her role as a cool leading female character. It's not even just the fact that her boobs are hanging out, it's the fact that she looks like an ordinary girly girl civy and not a biker!

Ugh, I think I really am done with Resident Evil now! I won't be spending any more of my money on those games ever again.

And the Yakuza games are pretty awesome. Everybody tries to compare them to games like Grand Theft Auto and they really are nothing like those. The games have such great stories and characters and there are so many cool mini games to enjoy. Plus the characters you play as are a actually good guys not bad guys.
With Claire I was mostly thinking about how her look changed due to the technology available. She's only in that new trailer for a few seconds if that so I'll just wait and see.

Quote:
I was about 10 when I first played Resident Evil: The Director's Cut and this was a few years after it came out like I think in the year 2000. I wanted to play it because at the time I was really getting into zombie movies after renting the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead and I fell in love with everything about the game. I also really loved Resident Evil 2 and 3 and I also enjoyed the remake of the first game and Resident Evil 0 as well as the spinoff Resident Evil Outbreak.

I know you might disagree with me but personally I liked Resident Evil 3 the best. We got to see more of the devastation done to Raccoon City in that game and seeing the city wrecked up with crashed cars and dead bodies laying on the street was very scary to me as a kid. Nemesis was also a terrifying monster who kept me on my toes, and I liked how this game had so many different types of zombies compared to the first two games. You had skinny zombies, fat zombies, girl zombies, civilian zombies, cop zombies, biker zombies, suited zombies, and of course the lab coat zombies and nude test subject zombies which appear towards the end in almost every game (kind of like the nurses in the Silent Hill games). It even made sense where the zombies showed up like how a lot of the cop zombies appeared near and inside the police station, the zombies in suits coming out of the town hall, and the zombies in lab coats appearing in the hospital and the secret laboratory. There were even female zombies in fancy dresses hanging out in front of the Goddess of Time paintings inside the clocktower. A lot of detail was put into these zombies compared to the other Resident Evil games which I thought was cool as hell.

I used to like Resident Evil 4 and even Resident Evil 5 but I've grown to hate those games now because of how much they have changed my favorite game franchise. It's not fair to even call these "survival horror" games because they are clearly more action than anything.
I don't think I liked Resident Evil 0 that much. I still own it on Gamecube. But I only remember playing it once. And I remember it was really about inventory management more than any of the previous games. Also, that even though it had a few good locations, the game was almost a side story. I do like Resident Evil 3 but I hated how Nemesis was always showing up to mug you.

The worse part of Resident Evil 4 for me was the story. I didn't like the side story nature of it. I thought we would get a better story after Code Veronica. The Village and to some extent the Castle are the best parts of Resident Evil 4. After that it really becomes an action game with horror elements. But it's still one of the best games in the series. I would probably put it in the top 3 or 5 titles.

I'm going to check some reviews but I think I'm going to play the 3DS version either soon or later this year. And the sequel, I need to see which version is the best.

I still have to finish those Corpse Party games too. I need to better organize my games before the October month. I'm thinking about doing an almost three month horror thing starting in September to almost Thanksgiving time since I'm so behind on stuff.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:27 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I liked Resident Evil 0. The new inventory system was annoying I admit but it wasn't something that distracted me from enjoying the game and it was pretty much the same kind of game that the other Resident Evil games were. I also thought it was interesting to see Rebecca as a protagonist.

And the story in Resident Evil 4 was so goddamn stupid and so was the story in Resident Evil 5 and 6. I think Resident Evil 6 had the worst story.

Edit: It's not just that the story in RE4 was stupid, it was very anti-climatic. The previous games had built up on a plot about the main characters trying to take down the evil Umbrella Corporation and in Resident Evil 4 we find out that the United States government had already done that for them by discontinuing all business with the company. It would be like if you were playing Legend of Zelda and you found out that Ganondorf was already defeated before you even started the game.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 06-27-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:37 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I finally made up my mind. My stepdad gave me his old Xbox 360 that still seems to work fine so I ordered two games that I used to love playing back when I had one: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3. Both are Game of the Year Editions which have all the DLC.

That should give me something to play when I am bored. They're both kind of old but they are still great games imo.