Old 05-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Evil Dead

Carpenter talks about "Fog" remake

John Carpenter has been scaring up audiences for decades with his films such as Halloween, The Thing, and The Fog, which is currently being remade. His vision and understanding of the horror genre combined with his dark cinematography style and impeccable timing for making moviegoers jump has made him a prolific director thus creating an enormous cult following of his work.

ComingSoon.net caught up with Carpenter on the set of The Fog in Vancouver, Canada and he talked to us about casting younger Hollywood stars, why he doesn't want to direct this film, and why it's time to remake his 1980's hit.

Why remake The Fog?
John Carpenter: Why not? If everybody else is making remakes and they want to pay me money to make a remake of an old movie of mine why not? It's a good idea. Seriously that's part of the answer, but my ex-partner, Debra Hill, who just recently died, had been trying to get this off the ground. We hooked up with David [Foster] here who did finally get it off the ground and it was kind of nice for her to see this being made.

Can you talk about the key differences between this version of The Fog and the 1980 version?
Carpenter: The styles are different. The actors are different. The director is different. It's essentially the same story with some basic changes in it. Its fog, ghosts.

Any of those changes you can talk about?
Carpenter: I have been sworn to secrecy in that matter.

Why did you decide to hand over this to another director instead of remaking it yourself?
Carpenter: I don't want to remake this. I mean I did it once. This was not my favorite experience of my own career making The Fog. It was difficult. We had to go back and fix it once we shot it. I've done this one. Let some younger person do it.

What's your role in this production?
Carpenter: I'm producer of it. I come say hello to everybody and then go home.

Given the inconsistent success of recent remakes of horror movies, was there anything you were insistent remain from the original or insistent they change to update it?
Carpenter: In the case of The Fog, it's a pretty fire proof idea in terms of what happens. It's a ghost story. The idea in this case is to freshen it up. There's a cultural mindset these days, that says anything over fifteen years is old-fashioned and old school. But we've sort of heard of it. The audience has maybe heard of it. So the thing to do is take it out and prop it up. Put some fresh coat of paint on it and see if it goes.

The original Fog didn't really skew younger the way this version does. What do you think has changed in the world of horror since the original Fog came out and where you have Tom Welling now instead of Tom Atkins?
Carpenter: It's a different era. That was 1979. I mean it's just a whole different time now. We didn't have the internet. Thank God we didn't have computer generated graphics and the whole celebrity showbiz thing was different. It was a different time. Horror movie and science fiction use to be portrayed with older folks. A little more mature I should say.

David Foster, a producer on the film elaborated:
We hired a lot of young actors too which was a very specific plan. Tom Welling is really popular with the young people. Lost [Maggie Grace] is a very popular series with all kinds of people. And then there's Selma [Blair] who's also young, but she's not a television star. She's sort of glued to the young people. It was a very calculated thing. These pictures fail or succeed based on young people going to the movies and mostly young girls. It's amazing".

Was there creative solutions you had to find to bring across the horror you wanted [because of the PG-13 rating]?
Carpenter: I'm just a producer on this. I just sit home and watch basketball games on TV. These guys go out and make this movie. It's designed to be a PG-13 film. Horror has really changed a lot. It used to be a lot much more hard core. Today it's drifting towards PG-13 and you know getting girls in and girls don't like yucky stuff, you know what I mean.

Did you have any final say on the script?
Carpenter: I read it. I liked it. But, you know the script evolves. It keeps changing as you make a movie. Look my whole philosophy is that it's a director's film. It's not my film. I made my film back then when I was young and happy. This is a new director and he's bringing his vision and his sensibilities and I have a real hard time telling anyone else what to do or interfering in his vision. It's his movie.

Sony Pictures' The Fog is scheduled for an October 14 release
Old 05-05-2005, 02:54 PM
new owner of hell

im gonna go see it.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Tenant

I'm with ya', Kung. If Carpenter's in, I'm in.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:27 AM
My fucking sunblock blows

Should of left it alone....the original was a classic in my opinion.....

The Termin00ber!!!!!!!!!! :cool:
Old 05-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Evil Dead

The "star" of the new movie has a few words to say. from Sci-Fi.com:

12:00 AM, 09-MAY-05
Welling: New Fog Is Edgier
Tom Welling, who stars in the upcoming horror remake The Fog, told SCI FI Wire that the new version is designed to appeal to a different audience from the original. "This is younger," he said in a press conference on the set in Vancouver, B.C. "It's quicker. It's a little bit edgier, I think. And I think that all of us together are going to bring that to the film. ... I think this film is taking its own direction."

Welling, best known for his role as Clark Kent on the WB series Smallville, pointed out the most obvious difference in the two films: the ages of the cast members. Welling and his co-stars—Selma Blair (Hellboy) and Maggie Grace (Lost)—play characters originated in the first film by more mature actors (Tom Atkins, Adrienne Barbeau and Jamie Lee Curtis, respectively). "This version of The Fog is updated," he said. "It's more modern. The other one was great, but obviously, as you can see us all sitting here, we've taken the ages of the original characters and divided them in two."

The fog itself, which will be both practical and computer-animated, has also been revamped for the new film. "You're on set, and this fog's coming at you, and it's creepy," Welling said. "We did a sequence where we're in the truck, and this cloud of fog is coming toward us, and literally the first time I saw this I was like, 'They've got some well-trained fog,' because this thing came around the house, came at us, and then all of a sudden I heard this thump and these three guys stood up with these lights on their chest and fog machines. They're inside the fog, so they can't see. So they're just taking their steps, and they ran right into the truck."

Welling ended the press conference on a light note, joking, "Don't let the title fool you, this movie's about the fog." The Fog, directed by Rupert Wainwright, is filming now for release on Oct. 14.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:10 AM
EVERY DAY IS A HAPPY DAY

Send a message via Skype™ to crazy raplh
I hope jamie lee cutris is in it.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Now she has us.

don't even get me started in this thread... it wont be pretty.

<CENTER>
http://www.horror.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic2020_5.gif</CENTER>

Old 05-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Banned

new version is designed to appeal to a different audience from the original. "This is younger," he said in a press conference on the set in Vancouver, B.C. "It's quicker. It's a little bit edgier,

so in otherwords .. its like all the rest of the shit.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Tenant

Well,if the original director is looking forward to it, might it be better than some of you are predicting? I'm interested...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:57 PM
EVERY DAY IS A HAPPY DAY

Send a message via Skype™ to crazy raplh
maybe there will be some kung fu in it?