Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Some sort of shouty cat

Send a message via MSN to Abominus
Good advice, I tried working through this script as a collaboration before but every single character sounded like a pretentious douche with a thing for olde English. Thats when I stopped letting my friend write the dialogue, they all sounded exactly like him.:D
Old 06-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Scares Little Kids

well what about the phase of production phase.we are just talking about script and dilogue but how can we make a horror movie on set with low money???the production phase is more expensive and costly.so give tips related to that also
Old 06-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Can you dig it ?

I'll give a few simple words of advice to all you future John Carpenters out there and I'm pretty sure it will likely be an unpopular suggestion:
Get out there and be a PA on a film.
If you look on craigslist in your area under gigs and then under crew, you will easily find listings there. Everybody wants to be a director and make movies and it's terrific that technology is reasonably priced to do so. However not everybody SHOULD make movies. It's like being the president of a company because your dad was the founder and you don't have a clue of how to manage things because you never bothered to work there. Yes, being a PA sucks most of the time since you're running around and assisting some department in setting up or tearing down. In all likelihood you're not going to get paid and at best you'll have your name listed in the credits of a finished movie. If you're lucky you might even score a free lunch on the deal. None of this sounds very appealing and I would know because I still do it every chance I get. Why ? Because I make movies. Why not get a free education along the way on someone else's set ? It's cheaper and easier in the long run to have experience in so many departments. Any problems you might face, you've learned how to take care of on someone else's movie before while they were paying for it. It's more efficient to be able to show someone once how you want something done rather than standing around clueless because you can't explain how it can be done.
The two things that can kill your film in production are 1) Not being prepared for eventual problems and 2) Not knowing how to solve unforeseeable problems. There will always be problems on set and people are going to look to you. I guarantee this. If you can't take care of the situation and say "ah, no big deal", your cast and crew (if you're lucky to have one) will most likely pick up that same attitude. If it's your film and you can't be bothered, why should they ? People will screw around, walk off, and do other things at this point, but it won't be your movie. Can you blame them ? You wouldn't enjoy wasting your time and now you're wasting theirs. How many of those people do you think are going to show up next weekend at that rate ? You now have no crew, no movie, and still have no idea what went wrong.
Do yourself a favor. Be a PA and learn the ropes a bit before declaring yourself a director. You can't do a good job if it's just handed to you. Look at George W. Bush and tell me I'm wrong :D
CK
Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Scares Little Kids

thanks a lot sir for guiding us.......and telling us some usefull things
Old 06-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to La Chat Noire
scripts

I like writing horror scripts but I lack the skills and funds to actually turn them into anything...any suggestions on where I could send my scripts? I'm not necessarily looking to make a profit, I just want my work to come alive.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:36 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Chat Noire View Post
I like writing horror scripts but I lack the skills and funds to actually turn them into anything...any suggestions on where I could send my scripts? I'm not necessarily looking to make a profit, I just want my work to come alive.
try a horror screenplay competition. the winners often recieve cash or representation or production assistance. You can find a full list of competitions on moviebytes.com

L.A. Screamfest is a great one and was how I landed my first manager.

And you should want to make a profit - it's the professional way. Act like a pro and you'll be treated like a pro. Act like a dillitante and no one will talk to you. A fledgling screenwriter should recieve about 2% of a film's budget plus a piece of the back-end.

I am currently producing my own feature film and the first bit of business is to attache a star to the lead role and then take the packaged project to a foriegn sales agent. Certain stars will give you enough foreign pre-sale to fund the entire film. It's a great way to make a $1-2.5 Million film.

GIALLO was partially funded this way and the pre-sale was used as collateral on a bridge loan to finish financing - granted the budget was substantially higher than the business model I listed above, but we did have an Academy Award winner in it and a legend directing.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon

Last edited by Roderick Usher; 06-29-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Scares Little Kids

Roderick Usher

looks like we are going to get some preselling tips too from you.but what about people like me who live in Pakistan and dont have any STAR known at international level.if i am targeting the international market what should i do?? will a sales agent love to take my horror movie (finished product) if it has no known name but the screen play + script is saleable?
Old 06-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to La Chat Noire
Thanks man, I appreciate the advice and help :)
Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad2478 View Post
looks like we are going to get some preselling tips too from you.but what about people like me who live in Pakistan and dont have any STAR known at international level.if i am targeting the international market what should i do?? will a sales agent love to take my horror movie (finished product) if it has no known name but the screen play + script is saleable?
Pakistan, huh?

That's a tough sell. If you have a (well-written) script and know how to direct, or know a director, I'd contact Omar Ali Khan, who's film Hell's Ground (Zibahkhana) was a real departure from most Pakistani film. Straight gorey horror with no musical numbers! You can probably get his contact info from the Pakistan Ministry of Culture.

Become his friend. Ask him if he needs a P.A. (production assistant) for anything. Learn from him, ask him to mentor you.

He got his film made with the assistance of Pete Tombs and Andy Starke from Mondo Macabro (mondmacabrodvd.com). They are a pair of globe-trotting cult film archeologists dedicated to bringing obscure cult cinema from odd markets to the west.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 07-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Scares Little Kids

rodrik

can you explain me when you said

Quote:
He got his film made with the assistance of Pete Tombs and Andy Starke from Mondo Mac
who are these people exactly? and what they do? so you have seen the movie hell's ground. well i was searching about it that why the movie didnt got any thatricla release??????secondly i was interested in knowing atleast how much revenue it generated?but even IMDB got failed to show me the result.can you tell me about that?

unluckily when the movie got released i was unaware about it and now searching for a DVD