Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-09-2015, 11:55 AM
Immortal horror fan

I think I did this before somewhere around here. But here it is. If anyone finds my old list perhaps I changed my feelings on some of these.

1. Friday the 13th Part 6 Jason Lives

Probably the best overall Friday the 13th. It has just about everything except nudity. And it's still a good movie without it.

2. Friday the 13th Part 2

The best old school Friday the 13th with the best female character.

3. Friday the 13th Part 8 Jason Takes Manhattan

I like this one. It's funny.

4. Jason X

This is another one that should be dumb like Part 8. But it's fun.

5. Freddy vs Jason

Jason X is a little better because it's just Jason. And this feels more like Nightmare on Elm Street. But I love the opening scenes.

6. Friday the 13th Original

Here is where the list becomes the best of what I'll put up with. I think with this one, once you know the twist it's not that much fun. In fact you can watch the fun parts at the beginning of Part 2.

7. Friday the 13th Part VII The New Blood

Only parts of this are entertaining. The scene with the grass cutting saw machine, how rough Jason is with the blond girl. I like that Looking for Magic song too.

8. Friday the 13th A New Beginning

You start to see a pattern here. Just fun bits. The blond waitress tease scene. The big boobed girl in the forest. The out house run scene. I believe the I'm going to kick your ass car scene is in this one. The best Friday the 13th movies are movies I enjoy the whole movie. Not just scenes.

9. Friday the 13th The Final Chapter

Another one with just scenes. Where's the corkscrew? The fantastic jump out the window. Jason throwing the hammer back at her.

10. Friday the 13th Part III

I only like this for the opening music. This is really the worst real Friday the 13th movie to me. The ones below this aren't even real Friday the 13th movies.

11. Friday the 13th Remake

This one should be the worst. I can't even watch it again. I'll put up with the Killer Cut one day I guess. But it's obvious that this is a committee movie. They thought dumb kids, alcohol, nudity, and Jason equals a good Friday the 13th movie. They were wrong.

12. Jason Goes to Hell The Final Friday

I don't think I've ever seen this in full. Only parts here and there. One thing is so wrong about this movie. Jason body jumping. That's how dumb this one is.

None of these are as good as Halloween. The original. Which is a shame because Jason is an iconic horror villain and it should be easy to make a fun yet serious Friday the 13th movie that's on the level or close with Halloween. I could probably do it. I just don't want to be like that guy that's making all those unofficial short movies and getting lawsuits everyday. And I don't want to get into official vs unofficial movies and the debate over which is better just because one is official and one isn't.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 03-09-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Horror Fan

Question

In light of your (wise) elevation of Michael Myers over Jason, do you say Vorhees is an immortal slasher? Is it an immortal franchise?

Old 03-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
In light of your (wise) elevation of Michael Myers over Jason, do you say Vorhees is an immortal slasher? Is it an immortal franchise?
I think the people behind a lot of these classic horror series are coming close to killing (to use the word) them. Halloween had two bad remakes. I guess they made money but no one wants to see those again. Nightmare on Elm Street remake was another bad one. Friday the 13th? They are talking TV series and a sequel. Maybe it's just to see when the right time is. I think the business people bet on people wanting a new horror fix and just wait till the right time. The question is how many bad sequels can fans take? What's the breaking point?

All of these should be "immortal franchises" in theory. With titles like Halloween and Friday the 13th how can they not be? Nightmare on Elm Street might not have a timeless title compared to the other two but the idea should be something that could continue over many years.

I've been lightly outlining my ultimate Friday the 13th today. I want to make an original horror project. But just in case, maybe I'll try one day to do a Friday the 13th fan film. I got really excited about my twist on the idea and other elements.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 PM
Evil Dead

Jason Takes Manhattan is my favorite.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Evil Dead

It's all taste and subjectivity, but from an entertainment standpoint as well as being well-made, I think at least parts 2, 4 and 6 are somewhat comparable with the original Halloween (a film which objectively is arguably better than all of the F13s and I say that as a bigger F13/Jason fan). 2 and 4 are genuinely intense and for their time quite frightening, while 6 is a very well-made film that from a quality standpoint rates above many others in it's series.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:35 AM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
It's all taste and subjectivity, but from an entertainment standpoint as well as being well-made, I think at least parts 2, 4 and 6 are somewhat comparable with the original Halloween (a film which objectively is arguably better than all of the F13s and I say that as a bigger F13/Jason fan). 2 and 4 are genuinely intense and for their time quite frightening, while 6 is a very well-made film that from a quality standpoint rates above many others in it's series.
So it's fair to say, for you Jigsaw Killer, that Friday the 13th is one of those rare franchises where the sequels are better than the original?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I think the people behind a lot of these classic horror series are coming close to killing (to use the word) them. Halloween had two bad remakes. I guess they made money but no one wants to see those again. Nightmare on Elm Street remake was another bad one. Friday the 13th? They are talking TV series and a sequel. Maybe it's just to see when the right time is. I think the business people bet on people wanting a new horror fix and just wait till the right time. The question is how many bad sequels can fans take? What's the breaking point?

All of these should be "immortal franchises" in theory. With titles like Halloween and Friday the 13th how can they not be? Nightmare on Elm Street might not have a timeless title compared to the other two but the idea should be something that could continue over many years.

I've been lightly outlining my ultimate Friday the 13th today. I want to make an original horror project. But just in case, maybe I'll try one day to do a Friday the 13th fan film. I got really excited about my twist on the idea and other elements.
I agree this will be a film series we will show our great-grandchildren. Freddy will endure. As he puts it, "Every town has an Elm Street!"

Yet I think Jason needs a resurrection once more, with plenty of twists. This project needs to happen, and happen soon. What's the blueprint here? A return to Crystal Lake (since when...Part VII?) or a different locale (please no outer space)?

Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
So it's fair to say, for you Jigsaw Killer, that Friday the 13th is one of those rare franchises where the sequels are better than the original?

I think a good chunk of them are better. I far prefer 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 to the first.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
I think that well made quality is what places Halloween above the Friday the 13th movies. The care shown in making Halloween. The lack of outright stupid stuff and characters. You care or at least aren't looking forward to the characters in Halloween getting killed.

Quote:
Yet I think Jason needs a resurrection once more, with plenty of twists. This project needs to happen, and happen soon. What's the blueprint here? A return to Crystal Lake (since when...Part VII?) or a different locale (please no outer space)?
My twist? It's a good one. I'm thinking fan / short film no more than an hour. It's a twist people should like. I thought about the chance of using it on my other horror project but I think it's perfect for Friday the 13th. The other twist I'm not too sure about. I think fans might not like it that much. But I do just because I'm not too crazy about the movie in the first place.

I wouldn't call my idea a stand alone film, reboot, or sequel. Just a fan film that would be my personal take on Jason and Friday the 13th. I even wrote a death scene with some camera shots last night. I guess I'm going to do it eventually.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Evil Dead

I think parts 2, 4 and 6 had some pretty good and likeable supporting characters that helped elevated those films above most of the others. You actually could feel scared for them when Jason was after them and sad when he killed them.