Old 10-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I don't think Halloween suffers at all from a low budget. It is the classic horror movie. Scream is a good movie too. Perhaps one of the first to make fun of horror tropes. I think another movie came first and I reviewed it here but I can't remember the name of it right now. Yet Scream is no where near as dark, spooky, unsettling, and scary as Halloween.
Well, sometimes it's funny when you see John Carpenter's cigarette smoke drifting on camera, or when Annie is tries to convince Lindsey they have an "understanding" but then quickly gives up with a sullen "okay." It's funny, but it doesn't hurt the movie. Didn't they have to shoot it on a fast schedule? I imagine Carpenter didn't have time to get the delivery of the lines perfect, but what is amazing is how perfectly his shots are composed. Sadly, the first time I saw it was on TV (pan and scan) so there were times when Michael was on screen and I didn't know it, this is the film that taught me the importance of shot composition.

I wonder though if the generations younger than me prefer Scream. It is faster pace, has cleaner editing, and aside from a couple of lines of dialogue ("what are you doing with a cell phone, son?") it has a modern feel.

I think younger generations might remember some of the terrible sequels in Halloween too. I mean, what if you only ever saw Busta Rhymes or the druid cult stuff?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Evil Dead

I don't know if I could ever choose. Scream is so stylish and unpredictable, but Halloween is really innovative and scary, not to mention that it was my first horror movie.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Penthouse Pauper

I like Scream well enough. I just couldn't sit through the sequels though.

Halloween is my ultimate, favorite horror film of all time. A couple of times a year, I have very horrific dreams about Michael Myers. I mean really, really scary dreams. I've woken up screaming & kicking before. I don't enjoy them at all. I usually have nightmares anyways, but these are the worst. This has been going on since I was 15 & sat through a marathon one night. Idk why I have these nightmares for because I LOVE the franchise, & MM is my favorite killer.

*Shrugs*

Whenever I watch Scream, I just want to send Billy Loomis to therapy & throw some valium at him.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:44 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

How am I just noticing both of these also have a Loomis character... that's interesting. Didn't realize the name was so popular. Tempting to make it a headcanon that they're somehow related.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 10-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialKiller View Post
I like Scream well enough. I just couldn't sit through the sequels though.

Halloween is my ultimate, favorite horror film of all time. A couple of times a year, I have very horrific dreams about Michael Myers. I mean really, really scary dreams. I've woken up screaming & kicking before. I don't enjoy them at all. I usually have nightmares anyways, but these are the worst. This has been going on since I was 15 & sat through a marathon one night. Idk why I have these nightmares for because I LOVE the franchise, & MM is my favorite killer.
No enjoyment at all? Have you ever tried to control the dream? I sometimes have nightmares that are like horror movies, but they're fun in their extreme and...horror movie motif? Something like that. The dreams that scare me are all about reality. From when I was about 24-29 I would repeatedly having to go back to high school or middle school at that current age. That was horrible.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:28 AM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
I don't know if I could ever choose. Scream is so stylish and unpredictable, but Halloween is really innovative and scary, not to mention that it was my first horror movie.
My feelings exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
How am I just noticing both of these also have a Loomis character... that's interesting. Didn't realize the name was so popular. Tempting to make it a headcanon that they're somehow related.
Add Psycho to the Loomis family tree. Marion Crane's Dude's name is Sam Loomis.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Penthouse Pauper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
No enjoyment at all? Have you ever tried to control the dream? I sometimes have nightmares that are like horror movies, but they're fun in their extreme and...horror movie motif? Something like that. The dreams that scare me are all about reality. From when I was about 24-29 I would repeatedly having to go back to high school or middle school at that current age. That was horrible.

I try. And I fail miserably. I usually end up with a knife in my jugular. You would think I would love having these kind of dreams considering, I just don't like them though. Too real. Dreaming about having to go back to high school is a nightmare indeed.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonleezombie View Post
Well, sometimes it's funny when you see John Carpenter's cigarette smoke drifting on camera, or when Annie is tries to convince Lindsey they have an "understanding" but then quickly gives up with a sullen "okay." It's funny, but it doesn't hurt the movie. Didn't they have to shoot it on a fast schedule? I imagine Carpenter didn't have time to get the delivery of the lines perfect, but what is amazing is how perfectly his shots are composed. Sadly, the first time I saw it was on TV (pan and scan) so there were times when Michael was on screen and I didn't know it, this is the film that taught me the importance of shot composition.

I wonder though if the generations younger than me prefer Scream. It is faster pace, has cleaner editing, and aside from a couple of lines of dialogue ("what are you doing with a cell phone, son?") it has a modern feel.

I think younger generations might remember some of the terrible sequels in Halloween too. I mean, what if you only ever saw Busta Rhymes or the druid cult stuff?
The majority of old horror movies I saw originally on a normal 4:3 TV. It wasn't until DVD and better editions that I saw the correct framing.

With Scream and a lot of movies things will date them. People always say that a movie is dated like that makes it bad. But all movies will have things that date them. Back then you only had a cell phone / beeper if you were a doctor, lawyer, or had parents that were wealthy.

Also and I mentioned this before somewhere around here. I think a lot of modern kids see movies and other videos as entertainment. There are those videos that exist just to point out flaws or make fun of movies. I went into movies looking to enjoy whatever world was created on film. I never really cared about the time period it was made. So even though Universal Monster movies and Twilight Zone was before my time. I still enjoyed them and never thought they were dated, unwatchable, boring, dull, or whatever other words young audiences use because they, I think, only look at movies as entertainment and not an art form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
I thought that was on purpose. At least I saw a Halloween pop up facts thing that pointed it out. Also Carpenter said he was influenced by Hitchcock. I always assumed that's why the movie had a more serious tone than the usual slasher movies.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:42 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Quote:
I thought that was on purpose. At least I saw a Halloween pop up facts thing that pointed it out. Also Carpenter said he was influenced by Hitchcock. I always assumed that's why the movie had a more serious tone than the usual slasher movies.
I wondered if maybe it was too. I didn't even think of Psycho until Repo mentioned it though how could I forget! The oldest Loomis character I know of in horror is Willy Loomis from Dark Shadows.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Prince of duskness

Quote:
With Scream and a lot of movies things will date them. People always say that a movie is dated like that makes it bad. But all movies will have things that date them. Back then you only had a cell phone / beeper if you were a doctor, lawyer, or had parents that were wealthy.
I think half the fun of watching older movies is to see WHAT dates them.