Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Horror Fiction Posts

Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 AM
HDC Idol

"Fresh Blood" - Horror Fiction Contest for Unpublished Authors

I thought I might use this as an excuse to actually get me writing. It helps me when I have a deadline. Wanted to post it in case anyone else is interested...

http://chizine.com/fresh-blood-rules.htm

LEISURE BOOKS PUTS OUT CALL FOR “FRESH BLOOD”

Leisure Books, the company “leading the way in publishing paperback horror,”* is partnering with Rue Morgue magazine in association with horror fiction web site ChiZine, to present “Fresh Blood,” a new writing contest specifically for unpublished horror authors. The winner will receive a contract for publication in Leisure’s 2011 lineup, as well as a contract from ChiZine Publications for a limited-edition hardcover release, also in 2011.

Leisure is looking for finished horror novel manuscripts, either supernatural or non-supernatural, of 80,000–90,000 words. A panel of experts, including Leisure Executive Editor Don D’Auria and editors at ChiZine, will judge entries. The finalists will be announced in November 2009.

From December through July 2010, monthly competitions in categories such as “Best Summary,” “Best First Line,” “Best Title,” and “Most Frightening Scene” will run on ChiZine.com. Readers will have the opportunity to vote for their favorites, and after each deadline, entries with the fewest votes will be eliminated.

The winner will be announced in August 2010 at Rue Morgue’s Festival of Fear in Toronto, Canada, as well as on the Leisure and ChiZine web sites.

Entries should be sent to [email protected] by September 30, 2009. “Fresh Blood” must appear in the subject line of the email.

For full entry details, visit www.dorchesterpub.com or www.chizine.com. Leisure Books is an imprint of Dorchester Publishing and publishes two horror titles every month by authors such as Richard Laymon, Jack Ketchum, Brian Keene, and Sarah Pinborough. ChiZine Publications publishes the same kind of weird, subtle, surreal, disturbing dark fiction and fantasy that ChiZine (the magazine) has become known for over the past ten years, only in longer form—novels and short story collections.

*CNN.com

Join my Facebook Horror Group!