Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies

Old 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Never seen a clitoris before, eh? ;)

Unless you're asking about his actual avatar. I have no idea what that's all about. The puppy made him seem much nicer..
My sig or my avatar (he says ignoring Angra's attempt at a joke :p )? My sig is a botfly larva being removed from an eye and the avatar is the old English D which stands for Detroit. The evil puppy will probably return, but for now I'm showin' a little support for my teams as basketball starts up and hockey gets rolling (please, don't mention football :( )
Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
My sig or my avatar (he says ignoring Angra's attempt at a joke :p )? My sig is a botfly larva being removed from an eye and the avatar is the old English D which stands for Detroit. The evil puppy will probably return, but for now I'm showin' a little support for my teams as basketball starts up and hockey gets rolling (please, don't mention football :( )
Ewww. I didn't know it was an eye.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Ewww. I didn't know it was an eye.
yeah..me too!:eek: I got the whole story here...

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/insects/wormeye.asp
Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Yeah, I just started it, but couldn't get through it. There's a point where I get far enough into a female exploitation film and I just start feeling... depressed.

I can appreciate it intellectually as a pure genre piece (it's interesting to see some pure Asian Grindhouse cinema) and I can definitely enjoy the JA Schoolgirl take on the female prison movie (hey - I like Girl-On-Girl S&M just as much as the next guy... Both ironically and... Uhm... Well... you know)... But in terms of pure visceral reaction... there's a point where the OldMan-On-Girl action... Just doesn't sit well with me.

Not really my cup of tea, I guess. I can't say that I hated it because as a Grindhouse exploitation piece, it was pretty damn good... The genre, well, as Des said, just doesn't do much for me.

I think I would have enjoyed it more as a lesbian softcore. But, well, then it wouldn't be exploitative schlock, eh?

Hey, Doc - This is amongst your Top 100 list... I want to hear your take on the film... Not setting up an argument; I just honestly see you as someone who watches films both for enjoyment AND intellectual fulfillment - I want to know why you, personally, recommend this film (again - Not being belligerent. I honestly want to know your opinion).
The main thing I liked about it was the level of transgression and all the layers of it. First of all, the movie takes a private school and turns it into a women in prison movie. That to me is shocking and reminds me that whatever high school is to Americans, films like this and Suicide Club remind us it's twice as draconian to the Japanese. Second, I love the over-the-top splat interpretation of the cruelty teenagers, teenage girls in particular inflict on each other. Mean Girls? Heathers? They don't quite get how mean kids can actually be to each other, while this is over the top, I like the "might as well be" metaphor, as you can tell from my writing. These girls get a chance to strike back, which is HUGE when you look at the institution of school. The ending is poetic and intense, reminding me a lot of things like the Wall. As an anarchist who had a rough time in high school and saw a lot of girls messed up by the inhumanity of the institutions and each other, these ideas intrigue me. So, I don't look at it as torture for torture's sake, but as torture to reflect torture that is not called torture. I think this was a novelty and though some of the kink is too much, it says a lot.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
The main thing I liked about it was the level of transgression and all the layers of it. First of all, the movie takes a private school and turns it into a women in prison movie. That to me is shocking and reminds me that whatever high school is to Americans, films like this and Suicide Club remind us it's twice as draconian to the Japanese. Second, I love the over-the-top splat interpretation of the cruelty teenagers, teenage girls in particular inflict on each other. Mean Girls? Heathers? They don't quite get how mean kids can actually be to each other, while this is over the top, I like the "might as well be" metaphor, as you can tell from my writing. These girls get a chance to strike back, which is HUGE when you look at the institution of school. The ending is poetic and intense, reminding me a lot of things like the Wall. As an anarchist who had a rough time in high school and saw a lot of girls messed up by the inhumanity of the institutions and each other, these ideas intrigue me. So, I don't look at it as torture for torture's sake, but as torture to reflect torture that is not called torture. I think this was a novelty and though some of the kink is too much, it says a lot.
Thanks, Doc. I initially enjoyed the comparison of the prison movie cliche to create an interesting subtext surrounding the behavior and treatment of girls in the high school environment (and I found it shocking too, which was obviously the intent and incredibly successful).

You make a really good point, though - The subtext is controversial, disturbing, and purposefully over-the-top. The concept is brilliant and I also think it's well-done exploitation. While I appreciate the subtext, though, I think that the end (for me at lease) doesn't necessarily justify the means (I think that, from a feminist perspective, there's a point where I have a difficult time watching exploitation, though I think that's more of a personal issue than an indictment of the film itself.

Thanks for the recommendation, though, and your analysis. I love and appreciate those who actually think about movies and not just watch them... And you're one of those people.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Thanks, Doc. I initially enjoyed the comparison of the prison movie cliche to create an interesting subtext surrounding the behavior and treatment of girls in the high school environment (and I found it shocking too, which was obviously the intent and incredibly successful).
I really felt it was trying to recreate a prison style exploitation film and that's really where it lost me. I just don't think, that with the West's grip on that particular niche, that this film did anything new or really exciting except make the girls younger and in school. I never really felt that the girls were in a school and was personally disconnected from the environment (and eventually the whole movie) as a result.