Old 01-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Downloaded the 1979 TTSS Britt TV mini series few days ago. Hope to see it soon.

Capote (2005)

>>: A-

Infamous (2006)

>>: B+

Wanted to see them both after watching In Cold Blood (1967) few weeks ago.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
^Really want to see that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Me too. Gary Oldman is my favorite actor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
Me three! Love Gary Oldman AND Colin Firth!
And you all are going to love it. Trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Downloaded the 1979 TTSS Britt TV mini series few days ago. Hope to see it soon.
Tracking that one down as we speak. I am a fan of John Irvin ever since I watched Hamburger Hill, his version of Frederick Forsyth's The Dogs of War with Walken/Berenger, and I thought Widows' Peak was a superbly made suspense thriller.

The TV adaptation has gotten some pretty rave reviews in it's time and stars Sir Alec Guinness, no less!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Little Boo

Scream 4! Such an avid fan of the saga.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 PM
No, fuck YOU

"Super" 9/10

Right up there with my other anti superhero favorites "Bad-Ass" & "Watchmen".
Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieDrone View Post
Nothin' wrong with Spielberg.
I didnt say there was anything wrong with Spielberg, just that the movie, at times, bordered on pastiche.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:20 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post

"Super" 9/10

Right up there with my other anti superhero favorites "Bad-Ass" & "Watchmen".
I really liked Super. A lot. Have you seen Defendor? I think you'll really dig it as well.

The Thing (2011)

FINALLY got around to watching the prequel... and I really really wish I had seen it in the theater and not a crappy hotel TV.

I was pretty floored by this movie. Granted, I went in with incredibly low expectations, but there were some fantastic scenes of the monster that honestly made my jaw drop.

It was really smart that they took the "prequel" route instead of the "remake" route, and the script did a great job dovetailing the two together (in fact, it makes me want to watch this movie again and then follow it up immediately with John Carpenter's).

The direction is fantastic, the action scenes believable, and the monster... WOW the monster was absolutely spectacular. Wish I had seen all of its glory on the Big Screen and I want to buy it immediately on Blu-ray. I'm a sucker for good looking, creepy beasties, and this movie did a great job to follow in the style of the original without completely ripping it off. This was a great, fun, monster flick.

If I have to pick on anything it would be that there are probably too many characters, and very little character development, so I found myself sitting and waiting for the monster to appear instead of actually caring who lives and who dies. Also, if you dissect one of the events of the end with some of the events earlier in the film, the reveal doesn't really make sense (sorry to be vague but I want to avoid spoilers here)... But that's OK.

I had a really, really good time watching this and I can't wait to get it on blu-ray and watch it back-to-back with John Carpenter's.

I recommend this if you're looking for a solid little monster flick. Purists, suspend your cynicism. It's really enjoyable.

3.75/5.

Also watched a couple of the...

Six Films to Keep You Awake

The Baby's Room (2006)

Good, creepy little flick. A great super natural slow-burner that honestly went in a different direction that I expected. Great acting and solid direction. For better or for worse, these episodes are on average better than your typical Masters of Horror.

3.25/5.

To Let (2006)

Ok - The acting was fantastic, the direction phenomenal, and I love the set... HOWEVER, this unfortunately turned into one of those flicks where our victims have numerous opportunities to turn the tables on our assailant and they just failed to do so. Also, the assailant wasn't really a believable threat to me, honestly. I'd say the first half was great - Built suspense really well, but once it took the turn of the slasher, I just could not understand why our heroes did what they did. It was really too bad. Would have been spectacular with a better script.

2/5.

Of this series, I've also seen A Real Friend, which was delightfully bizarre and charming. The ending was disappointing, but getting there was a strange fun little journey that kept me wondering what would happen next.

3.5/5.

I recommend picking up this little collection if you can find it cheap.

Burke and Hare (2010)

To be honest, I was very disappointed in this movie, especially considering the director (Landis) and the all-star cast. Lots of potential, but I found it dry, boring, and throughout most of it Pegg and Serkis seemed as though they were just going through the motions.

2/5.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:42 PM
HDC Idol

Nightmares in Red, White and Blue: The Evolution of the American Horror Film (2009)

Really solid, interesting and definitely broad documentary. Highly recommended to any and all genre fans.

4/5.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:46 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post

Also watched a couple of the...

Six Films to Keep You Awake

The Baby's Room (2006)

Good, creepy little flick. A great super natural slow-burner that honestly went in a different direction that I expected. Great acting and solid direction. For better or for worse, these episodes are on average better than your typical Masters of Horror.

3.25/5.

I recommend picking up this little collection if you can find it cheap.
I saw The Baby's Room a little while ago. It was pretty creepy, and I appreciated the philosophical twist, but it still felt kind of flat. I'm a fan of de la Iglesia's work, but that one just seemed rushed.

I've really wanted to see Xmas Tale for quite a while now. Did you see it?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:36 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I really liked Super. A lot. Have you seen Defendor? I think you'll really dig it as well.
Thanks. I'll definitely check it out. :)

About The Thing...

Am I the only one who was thinking, put on a full beard on Joel Edgerton and he could pass as R.J. MacReadys (Kurt Russell) twin brother. :D I was quite surprised he didn't have the lead role, but only a smaller one.

AND am i the only one who didn't understand half of what all the Scandinavians were saying when they spoke english?

And seriously, did ANYONE notice the earring??

Last edited by Angra; 01-01-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Misanthrope

Nah man I was thinking the same thing about Joel Edgerton. They made Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje a dead ringer for Keith David too.

Defendor is excellent I really dug it. It's a shame it tends to get overlooked it's a much better film than Super or Kick-Ass IMO. I like how it's grounded a lot more in reality. Watched a documentary on real life super heroes that I forget the name of and it made me think how dead on they got it with Defendor.

Super was ok but the storyline has just been done to death for me and Ellen Page tends to get on my nerves.