Old 11-03-2018, 07:48 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oro13 View Post
Well... I sure watched it, and it sure was something. But it wasn’t Suspiria.

While it certainly had more to do with what you’d expect from a dance school run by witches, this remake/imagining/boot/whatever is largely forgettable aside from some decent acting and a few great sequences.

If it wasn’t called Suspiria, I might view it more positively. But, since it is, the comparisons to the original hamstring it almost immediately out of the gate. While it has its share of disturbing imagery, it comes across as kind of passionless and drab. Gone are Argento’s vibrant colors and dreamlike imagery, in favor of World War II grays and an overall subdued palette. There are some good sequences and body horror, but the original makes you feel like you were watching someone else’s nightmare, like there is something awful around every corner that makes you hold your breath, and that is nowhere to be found here.

Another big point against it, is the soundtrack. Yes, Thom Yorke is an extremely talented musician, and seems like a decent pick. But, like the visuals, the soundtrack pales in comparison to the original’s iconic score in every way. Radiohead is a good band, but Goblin is fucking Goblin.

Not the worst by any stretch, but I’d add it to the list of uninspired and completely unnecessary remakes. My criteria for judging a remake is simple, either update and expand on a classic’s ideas, or take a bad film’s premise and fix it via modern techniques and better filmmaking. This flick does neither.
Nice write up. Too bad you didn't care for it. How many stars out of 10 would you give it? I haven't seen it, but I would have welcomed a director/cinematographer making a similarly rich color palette as the original, it's not like it's done much anymore.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:56 PM
The Original Copycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Nice write up. Too bad you didn't care for it. How many stars out of 10 would you give it? I haven't seen it, but I would have welcomed a director/cinematographer making a similarly rich color palette as the original, it's not like it's done much anymore.
I’d say 5/10, which is average. Like I said though, if it was called something else, I’d probably dig it more. The fact that it’s a remake of such an iconic italian horror film forces the comparison, and it can’t measure up.

I’d recommend The Neon Demon, it’s a better remake of Suspiria than this.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:12 PM
Evil Dead

Finally got around to seeing it and it was craptacular.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:09 AM
Evil Dead

First off: I am well aware that the film is trying to do something different. Kudos to them for that.

Having said that, I could not help thinking of the original. Because...

- The original was timeless. This was immediately dated. Which could be interesting if they actually did stuff with it. Now it's mostly background noise.

- The original was captivating and lead you into this dream like sphere. This is just dull. Maybe it works for this generation, but as far as I am concerned, you do not build up tension with dream sequences that are basically just a cocktail of ADD and what the hell.

- Goblin's soundtrack added something to the atmosphere. As much as I enjoy Radiohead, this is just noodling.

- This may just be me, but I think modern dance is mostly pretentious drivel.

- Dakota Johnson had two or three moments that showed potential that were ruined by her poor acting. And that look on her face... How can you be invested who has the same kind of dumb look like Wahlberg just before he says "What? Nooo!"

Oh yeah, and the Rote Armee Fraktion as some sort of patsy for witchcraft? Fuck you in the ear, movie.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:45 AM
Evil Dead

Simple review from me.This was awful,an atrocity of a movie which was never needed or called for.Pointless and unnecessary. Completely ruined the name of an all time classic.

Doesnt matter to me if others liked this but for me,it sucked.