Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Cranky

Both........

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 04-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
There are bits of Brave New World, but my main influences were American Psycho, Watchmen, Joyce Carol Oates' Zombie, Clockwork Orange to a degree, though I'm not crazy about the film, which I feel lacks moral nuance, The Warriors, The Punisher comics, Naked Lunch, Robert Rodriguez and Tarantino movies and all manner of other stuff, like Fritz Lang's M and Bladerunner contributed.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Masoch's mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
There are bits of Brave New World, but my main influences were American Psycho, Watchmen, Joyce Carol Oates' Zombie, Clockwork Orange to a degree, though I'm not crazy about the film, which I feel lacks moral nuance, The Warriors, The Punisher comics, Naked Lunch, Robert Rodriguez and Tarantino movies and all manner of other stuff, like Fritz Lang's M and Bladerunner contributed.
Kubrick spoilt the film A Clockwork Orange by omitting to film the last chapter of the book which actually gave meaning and moral to the rest of the book. The only thing that puts me off ordering a copy of your book, is that I really don't like sci-fi. Detested watchmen and similar stuff. Have you written anything more reality based. Oh and am going to give Joyce Carol Oates' books a go as I have read other good reviews of her writing on here; she seems quite diverse. But first I have a backlog to get through. Really must start reading my copy of Seduction of the Gullible as its zwoti's bible.:rolleyes:
Old 04-30-2010, 04:46 AM
Undead Cavalier

Send a message via AIM to fiend_skull Send a message via MSN to fiend_skull
"Cell" by Stephen King
Old 04-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Mephistophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
Kubrick spoilt the film A Clockwork Orange by omitting to film the last chapter of the book which actually gave meaning and moral to the rest of the book. The only thing that puts me off ordering a copy of your book, is that I really don't like sci-fi. Detested watchmen and similar stuff. Have you written anything more reality based. Oh and am going to give Joyce Carol Oates' books a go as I have read other good reviews of her writing on here; she seems quite diverse. But first I have a backlog to get through. Really must start reading my copy of Seduction of the Gullible as its zwoti's bible.:rolleyes:
I'm not fond of most scifi either. It's more surreal than science fictiony. I don't do realistic. I think realism is the worst way to depict reality.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Masoch's mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I'm not fond of most scifi either. It's more surreal than science fictiony. I don't do realistic. I think realism is the worst way to depict reality.
I can go with that; everybody's perception of reality is different, affected by their own ideas, values and personality. You would merely be giving your own reality which could be very different from that of a reader. :cool:
Old 05-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Evil Dead

I'm reading a collection of short stories by Ramsey Campbell. Funny, I'd rather read an entire book of short stories than commit to a novel a lot of the times. Even though, in the long run, I'm reading just as many pages.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Masoch's mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo View Post
I'm reading a collection of short stories by Ramsey Campbell. Funny, I'd rather read an entire book of short stories than commit to a novel a lot of the times. Even though, in the long run, I'm reading just as many pages.
I know what you mean. Love Stephen Kings short stories and always have The Complete Poirot by my bed, even though I have read it so many ties that its falling apart, i sometimes just dip in.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:54 AM
Bad Natured

The Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson. It is simply a huge, well-illustrated, one volume account of the American Civil War. It deserved to win its Pulitzer Prize...
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Mephistophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo View Post
I like Campbell's short stories a lot.