Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Indie Horror Movies and Short Films

Old 01-18-2004, 08:33 AM
Evil Dead

What are everyone's favorite non-horror movies...

I didn't want to offend horror purists so I put this one down here under Indies where it seems only the true film geeks tread (or would that be "thread"?).

My FAVORITE movie of all time is Eastwood's The Unforgiven, and I love everything by Sergio Leone. I also really, really like Bloody Sam, especially The Wild Bunch and the UNCUT Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid--but I can watch anything he did, even Convoy.

Other stuff I dig: Rolling Thunder, Emperor Of The North Pole, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Ride With The Devil, Shane, Taxi Driver, anything by Walter Hill (especially Southern Comfort, The Warriors, and The Long Riders), The Searchers, all the Mad Max movies (great title, too; think about it--is Max mad "angry" or mad "insane"), Django and just about any other spaghetti Western that isn't just really horrible.

My favorite moments caught on film are the three-way gunfight at the end of The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly and Will Munny's vengeance ride into Big Whiskey at the end of The Unforgiven.

"I don't deserve to die like this; I was building a house."

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."
Old 01-18-2004, 08:44 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
You're in good company Dr. K.

My favorite non-horror films of all time:

The Boondock Saints (the best ever)
The Warriors (CAAAAAAAAN YOU DIG IT!!!)
Reservoir Dogs
True Romance
Very Bad Things
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Chopper
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Donnie Darko
The Street Fighter (the Chiba one)
Drugstore Cowboy
Julian Po
Heathers
Swingers/Made
The Experiment
Carlito's Way
Easy Rider
Equilibrium
Fist of Legend
Narc
Killing Zoe
Shock Corridor
Platoon
The Usual Suspects
The Way of the Gun
and The "motherfuckin" Boys Next Door.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:59 AM
Evil Dead

Wow, I dig everything on your list, especially Narc and Platoon (I forgot to put that one on my list), and I forgot to mention how much I love Brian Depalma, but you gave him some props with Carlito's Way. We also both included an Ang Lee movie. I too thought Euilibrium was cool and can't believe the studio didn't give it a bigger push (or at least A push). I loved Boondock Saints and just wish it had had a bigger budget. The guy who wrote it made a killing; Mirimax even bought him the damn bar where he worked.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:07 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
You have a great list as well. I like everything on there...that I have seen. Hehe. You've got a few on me. I especially dig the Mad Max films. Best road movies ever made. Have you heard rumors of the fourth one: Fury Road? And of course, Eastwood westerns are the shit. And Walter Hill makes the best "normal" action movies. I even liked Last Man Standing.

As for Equilibrium, I too was surprised that the studio majorly fucked up.

I love the Saints with a passion. That movie was just right on the money for me. I hope the sequel can live up. I didn't know that bit of trivia about them buying the bar he worked at. Pretty cool.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Evil Dead

The Boondock Saints thing was a big stink back when it happened. The guy who wrote it was a bartender, had never read a script before so really even had no idea how to format one. So, he located and read a script, then checked out a type writer from the library, sat down and wrote Boondocks. Now this was right after Pulp Fiction and every studio was looking for a hip new guy with a humble background and who wrote witty dialogue whom they could market as the next Tarantino. Seems they thought the Boondocks guy fit the bill and bidding war ensued. I forgot what he finally got for the script, but it was at least a million bucks---plus a contract to direct five movies, and the studio (Miramax, I think) bought and gave him the damn bar where he worked. Now years pass and the script keeps bopping around from director to director, and suddenly it's post Matrix and no one gives a damn anymore about smart, witty crime movies. Blockbuster Films buys a bunch of unproduced scripts from the studios, and Boondocks was one of them. Wow! How's that for a strange story? The bad thing is that it killed the spec script market for all first-time writers. After the Boondocks fiasco, Hollywood generally doesn't show much interest in orignal, indie-type scripts from new guys. I remember this because I had just finished a crime/road-movie script that I thought was rather clever, but quickly realized the only way after Boondocks to get something like that made wass to do it yourself.

Last I heard about Fury Road was actually CNN of all places. Contracts were signed and everything was ready to go, George Miller directing from a script he claimed took him 15 years to write, and Gibson was reportedly getting a 30 million---the most any actor has ever got from one movie. But it was going to be filmed in Kuwait and pre-production was shut down when it became obvious we were going to invade iraq. Now Gibson is working on his twelve-hour movie about the life of Christ, so I'm guessing it'll be a while before we see Fury Road.

The movie I really wanted to see was the third Conan movie, Conan The King, written and directed by my boy John Milius. He had finished the script and was set to go when ass-clown Arnold ran for office instead of admitting that his action career was suffering and no one was going to pay 8 bucks to see him blow stuff up anymore. I read in a movie magazine a few months ago that the Wachowski bros (however you spell their names) own the rights to Conan and are planning at least one R-rated anime-type STV Conan movie to be released later this yr. If that does good, then maybe we'll see The Rock playing Conan in a different Milius-scripted Conan movie. Sounds cool...but I would have loved to seen Milius' take on the aging Conan.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Cryptkeeper

I too heard about them post-poning Fury Road but I thought Mel finished his Christ movie. I saw a trailer for it the other day. Is he doing another one???

I wanted to see a new Conan film, but the more I think about it the more I think they should leave it alone. Arnold just hasn't been Arnold lately. I don't think he's been Arnold since True Lies. And the stuff I'm hearing about either The Rock or Triple H is just terrible. I also wanted to see Conan as king. Never heard about the Wachowski brother's doing a Conan though. Interesting.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Evil Dead

Last I heard, the print of the Christ movie that Gibson has been showing around (to the Pope!!!!) was all that he could afford to film right now. He supposedly got a trailer and some other stuff together in hopes of getting more money so he can finish it.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Cryptkeeper

I think it's coming out in February though.

You can already pre-order the DVD. Haha.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...576251-0406421
Old 01-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Evil Dead

Here are my list of non horror movies..

spaceballs
the villian
national lampoons vacation
angel

okay tired will add later.. haha

Fulci Lives!!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Cryptkeeper

I forgot my love of John Woo and Fight Club in my earlier list.