Old 04-17-2016, 01:42 PM
Evil Dead

Baskin (2015)

The market for international artsy horror flicks has been surprisingly lucrative in the past few years, with acclaimed films like The Babadook and Goodnight Mommy and even the American productions It Follows and The Witch. But probably the most imaginative and gory one of them all is the Turkish export, Baskin, an ultra-violent and bizarre descent into Hell with a capital "H." In Baskin, a police squad is called to an abandoned building in a neighborhood surrounded by rumors and hearsay. When they enter the building, they unwittingly stumble upon a black mass intent on sending the lawmakers straight to Hell. The narrative of Baskin is a bit of a mess. At times, it's difficult to figure out how certain things connect to each other or what they represent, and I saw the ending coming from a mile away. However, the blurring between reality and fantasy is one of my favorite staples of the horror genre. I love horror movies where you're not completely sure what's real and what's not, and this one illustrated the descent into Hell in a beautifully brutal fashion. The visual aspect of Baskin certainly gives the movie an art-film quality. Director Can Evrenol makes everything from a car crash to a man's intestines being ripped out look stunning. Even if the film's internal logic is difficult to follow and the ending is predictable, Baskin is a nightmarish and inventive Turkish horror film that will give gorehounds a more cerebral torture fest than most.

7/10
Old 04-17-2016, 03:40 PM
病気の

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
Baskin (2015)

The market for international artsy horror flicks has been surprisingly lucrative in the past few years, with acclaimed films like The Babadook and Goodnight Mommy and even the American productions It Follows and The Witch. But probably the most imaginative and gory one of them all is the Turkish export, Baskin, an ultra-violent and bizarre descent into Hell with a capital "H." In Baskin, a police squad is called to an abandoned building in a neighborhood surrounded by rumors and hearsay. When they enter the building, they unwittingly stumble upon a black mass intent on sending the lawmakers straight to Hell. The narrative of Baskin is a bit of a mess. At times, it's difficult to figure out how certain things connect to each other or what they represent, and I saw the ending coming from a mile away. However, the blurring between reality and fantasy is one of my favorite staples of the horror genre. I love horror movies where you're not completely sure what's real and what's not, and this one illustrated the descent into Hell in a beautifully brutal fashion. The visual aspect of Baskin certainly gives the movie an art-film quality. Director Can Evrenol makes everything from a car crash to a man's intestines being ripped out look stunning. Even if the film's internal logic is difficult to follow and the ending is predictable, Baskin is a nightmarish and inventive Turkish horror film that will give gorehounds a more cerebral torture fest than most.

7/10
Excellent.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:41 PM
病気の

Diary of a Deadbeat, 2016. 10/10

What an amazing doco on the life of Jim VanBebber. The footage of him at cons, making movies, as a child were absolutely fantastic. There was so much I didn't know. What a wonderful and talented guy. I love him...more. They showed behind the scenes of Gator Green, Jim at work directing and yeah..I was blown away. I got to see Bone Crusher and some bits with Stephen Biro. You can watch this over and over and learn and see more. Best DVD I bought. Props to Mr. Bonacore. Beautifully pieced together. Thankyou for making this.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:51 PM
Evil Dead

#Horror (2015)

Social media and bullying are scary enough to be the perfect backdrop of a challenging horror film. Last year's Unfriended took that idea, mixed it with a revenge story and an inventive use of storytelling to create a stirring horror film about the effects of cyberbullying. Then there's #Horror, a failed satire of social media that feels more like a slap on the wrist than the provoking it was trying to be. #Horror follows six preteen girls who live in the high society of money, success and comfort. One night, their compulsive addiction to social media turns a moment of cyberbullying into a night of chaos. The movie is exactly as preachy as that synopsis sounds and just as annoying as the middle schoolers in it. What #Horror never quite figures out is if it's trying to be an allegory for the dangers of social media, an actual horror film, or a lesson on why pre teen girls are bitches. Those themes never mix with each other in a cohesive way and instead battle each other throughout the whole movie. One moment will have smart phone animations barraging the screen, the next scene will have some random act of bullying, and then the movie remembers it's supposed to be a horror film and for two seconds, you see the girls being filmed by someone. I mean, the movie is called #Horror. There should be a little more horror than a couple of shots in the first hour and then a few poorly filmed kill scenes at the end. What Unfriended did right was not let up on the social media aspect of the film during its scarier moments. #Horror just sends mixed messages about what movie it's trying to be. Director Tara Subkoff presents timely themes and a glimmer of potential from her confident direction. Unfortunately, instead of being provocative and subversive, #Horror just ends up being annoying and pretentious.

3/10
Old 04-18-2016, 02:50 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Witch (2015)

>>: A-
Old 04-18-2016, 05:04 AM
Evil Dead

Bad Grandpa 9/10
The Witch 4/10
Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Evil Sweat

Hell And Back (2015)
B-
An R-Rated animated movie is nice for a change.
It wasn't great or anything. The story and the pace is so and so, the colours were a little too dark imo, even for Hell. But the combination of voice actors and the jokes made it quite enjoyable. Makes me looking forward to Sausage Party that's coming out later this year.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Evil Dead

Pandorum 6/10
Old 04-18-2016, 04:03 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfantasy View Post
I don't know why anyone would watch this movie!!
Believe me when I say it wasn't my idea. I say 'yes' to bad movies a little too easy.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:03 PM
Evil Dead

The Pyramid 5/10

Tags
movie