Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 AM
For Vendetta

What if Jaws was made today?

Like the title of the thread says.

(Beware of plenty of SPOILERS)

http://chud.com/articles/articles/23...DAY/Page1.html

Gotta love the article.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Whip In My Valise

He has a few valid points, but overall is incredibly pessimistic.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Pirate of Bengal

..and in 2013 is the prequel, Jaws: Fall of the Indianapolis. TI is cast to play the young Quint in that film.

Very funny!:D
Old 06-03-2010, 02:44 AM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
Stopped reading at Sam Worthington. Casting Sam Worthington is not funny. Casting Sam Worthington is cruel to the audience.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:09 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

LOL@Andy Serkis as the shark.

Make Mickey Rouke Quint :-)

One thing that isn't mentioned is the way movies don't have the impact they do now. Anyone old enough to remember Jaws cinema release will recall the huge effect it had - every one was shark crazy. People were afraid to swim. Great white memorabilia was every where.

I wanted to be a marine biologist for years after seeing the film (I can still remeber all the shark names).

Films come and go a lot quicker now..
Old 06-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Synthetic Flesh

Hilarious, but sadly too close to the mark...

However, I think a good deal of the impact that Jaws had at the time (the hysteria it created) was because it was a new concept. The first real super-predator shark film. It came at a time when sharks were much more poorly understood than now (not that we still know an awful lot)

Sure, Blue Water, White Death preceded it by several years, but it was more a documentary and didn't have the same level of impact.

It is interesting to look at the sequence of events... Jaws creates hysteria, people are afraid to go into the water. Sadly, people start killing sharks. It takes said geniuses to bring some species almost to the point of extinction to realise the problem with their plan. Meanwhile, study of sharks spurred on at least partly by the hysteria shows that, indeed, not every shark in the ocean is out to eat every human it can find. In fact, they find people a bit unpalatable and usually spit them out.

But all this means that killer shark films necessarily would have a very different impact today than they did in the mid 70's. However, today's production values just don't have to gritty realism that was a feature of the 70's and early 80's cinema. The gloss and effects seem to make films less realistic, even if the shark itself looks less mechanical.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Banned

"Jaws", to me is the perfect movie. The one movie I could and do re-watch over and over. Great cast, great story and Bruce surpasses ANY CGI shark I've seen thus far.

and Return is just pissed that they never made a killer penguin movie ;)
Old 06-03-2010, 07:28 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
He has a few valid points, but overall is incredibly pessimistic.
I actually have to agree with this... And I generally have an overly-cynical outlook on Hollywood.

Pounding us over the head with "extensive background stories" made me grin, though...

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 06-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Some of the points I think seemed to ring true to more of old films but...I mean the sequels. Definitely right (although of course THAT didn't happen with the original :rolleyes:) And not to mention the SharkVision. That was very, VERY true for these newer films. Always needing a gimmick. And the backstories as well. AND Quint not dying.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 06-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Pessimistic? Maybe. But dead on. Particularly about the level of exposition. A lot of writers grew up on movies that had too little exposition so decided that this needed to be remedied by wall to wall exposition. The origin of everything is important. If the Superman franchise is rebooted, we'll see Ma and Pa Kent's first date. If the Godzilla franchise is rebooted, the first hour will be devoted to explaining the Manhattan Project and the angsty scientist hero's father will be helping out Oppenheimer.