Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
The last seen Asian (actually from Asia, not a remake) movie was A Tale of Two Sisters (which I watched yesterday). The film was a great psychological thriller with a very interesting plot and really good acting. Additionally, its use of suspense was brilliant. There were several scenes that were quite scary. The scariest scene being the dining room scene after they invited some relative over for dinner.
I liked that movie a lot too, and agree that the dinner scene was probably more unsettling than the violent scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
Carved The Slit Mouthed Woman-Harrowing and unsettling Japanese supernatural horror. Low budget but comes with a bleak, sepia-esque toned cinematography that greatly enhances the brutality of the violence. Subtle performances are also the key here-they are never over-dramaticized, the characters are quite natural (or naturally unnatural when needed), refreshingly flawed and measured. Kudos for not shying away from the true horrors of the subject matter where many gloss and sugar-coat it.
I've had this in my Netflix streaming queue for a while now, so it's good to hear someone recommend it. I guess it's time to watch it. :)
Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Evil Dead

My last seen was Bedevilled, which I enjoyed for the discomfort it induced, but was left feeling a little dissatisfied at the end -- I think because I didn't like either of the two main characters much, and didn't care which one won, and didn't feel much when one of them did.

Before that I watched Kairo (Pulse), which had potential, but maybe to me that aesthetic is getting a little played out. It didn't scare me much, but probably would have liked it a lot more had it been a half hour shorter.

I'm currently in the middle of two Asian movies: Battle Royale, and Terrifying Girl's High School Lynch Law Classroom -- both of which I'm enjoying for the most part. I'll probably post in the "Last Seen Movie" thread when I'm done, probably after tonight.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 AM
Pirate of Bengal

407 Dark Flight (2012)

Silly haunted flight flick but not too bad, kinda funny at times.

>>: C
Old 02-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Living Dead

The Eye (2002)

Such an original and interesting story to this movie - really explores the extent of inhumanity that humanity is capable off, despite whether it is visible to us or not, it is nonetheless there.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Death Tube (2010)

A Japanese Death Game-Survival flick where a group of individuals wake up & find themselves trapped in small rooms & forced to solve puzzles in order to proceed closer to freedom. And the entire thing is showing & sharing with the world by real time footage on a youtube-like video hosting site named Death Tube. But unlike inventive traps (SAW) or mathematical puzzles (Cube), the games that the trapped bunch have to solve are just silly kids' games like hopscotch, hot potato, Rubik's cube, etc. The host or the villain is not some Jigsaw-esque madman or even a creepy puppet, but a few guys in yellow bear costumes who dance around like low-rent team mascots while the victims play out their high stakes games. The instructions come from an animated version of the bear who cheerfully explains the rules.

This film was fun to watch at times but there's no mystery to solve or interesting twists; just another movie about watching a group of people playing weird games in order to survive. And that would be fine if it was 75-80 minutes long, but it was just a hair under 2 hours. Bit oddly, there's also no IMDB page for this movie, even though it's been out for nearly two years and released on DVD through a legitimate Asian Movie distributor.

Anyway, overall nothing new, just an average time waster.

>>: C+

Last edited by roshiq; 02-18-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Evil Dead

Blind Beast (1969). I wrote a blurb about it in this post in the Last Seen Movie thread. Overall, not bad.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Don't Click (2012)

Typical Asian horror flick but fairly entertaining. Recommended to my good friend, Angra.:)

>>: B
Old 03-25-2013, 04:03 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Don't Click (2012)

Typical Asian horror flick but fairly entertaining. Recommended to my good friend, Angra.:)

Hm... i'll take it. :cool:
Old 04-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Modus Anomali (2012)

A man claws his way out of a shallow grave and finds himself in the middle of a jungle. He can't remember anything, not even his name but uncovers evidence of a stunningly brutal murder and all sorts of grisly little clues start to pop up.

This is a nice little brutal thriller from Indonesia that at times reminded me of the Spanish sci-fi thriller Timecrimes or even to some extent, of Memento! For some trend in recent years, I guess Indonesia is trying hard to put their name convincingly on global genre-map and as an Indo-flick I must say it's clearly an impressive effort but not above few flaws. They shot the film in English language and though the actor on the lead did his best but the cast overall somewhat failed to deliver a satisfying job. There was a big 'twist' at the 3rd or final act but that truth behind the mystery didn't surprised me much.

Last edited by roshiq; 04-20-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Marronnier (2004)

Marino is an average young Japanese girl. She likes hanging out with her friends and doting over her Marronnier doll. The doll, however, has been created by an evil genius that kidnaps women, uses a machine to turn them into wax and sculpts the wax into dolls in the deceased's likeness. But it doesn't end there. The mad doll-maker's assistant, Numai, is even freakier. He stalks Marino, kidnaps her (and her friends), fails to seduce her, gets rebuffed, laughs like a maniac, AND tries to melt them into wax!
But that's before his other doll 'creations' come to life for revenge!

Somewhat like a J-horror manga, this low budget flick offers quite a weird & interesting story, worth a watch for any ardent J-Horror fan.