Old 12-24-2009, 02:45 AM
Cranky

Cavite

I'm not sure what to think of this film.
I'm not sure I understand what happened.

It was certainly very well done though!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 12-25-2009, 04:16 AM
Bad Natured

Tokyo Drifter (1966). Give a basic plot of a gangster story and hand it to Seijun Suzuki, then tell him to calm down a bit, and this is the result. Far from calm, this one uses color like an ADHAD kid uses a single crayon in an empty room that is all white. Each frame is like the kid gets a new crayon to play with. This movie has nothing to do with plot and everything to do with style. Suzuki warps film industry norms and conventions with the adept attention of a brilliant madman. Stunning stuff. Ashe.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:21 AM
Bad Natured

Infernal Affairs (2002). A great gangster flick flick from Hong Kong that was redone in America as The Departed. More than just a crime drama, this flick allows the lead actors, the yin and yang, to develop quite nicely. This simple yet intriguing story is well crafted, allowing it to be rather tense at times while always digging deeper towards its elemental depth. The acting and direction was wonderful; the cinematography was beautiful. As awesome as The Departed was, Infernal Affairs was even better. Ashe.
derek

Old 12-28-2009, 03:45 AM
Bad Natured

Legend of the Red Dragon (2004). Pretty decent Jet Li flick. i saw the dubbed version so that may have have brought it down a level. This was a fun comic book style Kung Fu flick, and while i usually don't care for tongue n cheek humor, it was pretty entertaing here. The fight scenes were decent as well. Overall a fun flick. Ashe.
derek

Old 01-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Rough Cut aka A Movie is a Movie (2008)

A real gangster is recruited to fill a role and save the production of a crime film.

A pretty interesting drama with a slight touch of dark comedy all over. The directions, action sequences, characterizations & acting all are great. Recommended to all.

>>: B+

Thirst (2009)

A quite different & interesting take on Vampire myth by Chan-wook Park. Loved it.

>>: A-

Last edited by roshiq; 01-01-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Bad Natured

Once Upon a Time in China (1991). The beginning of this one was rough for me. With lots going on and with the threat of being overly corny, i almost ditched it. Glad that i did not. Once it settled down, it turned into a great first instalment of what i hope is a great trilogy. Ashe.
derek

Old 01-04-2010, 03:59 AM
Bad Natured

Shi gan AKA Time (2006). Ki-duk Kim is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite directors. i love the complaints that are thrown his way, which are basically that he is too this or too that. Sounds like jealousy to me. Time is a wonderful account centering on the self, what it is, how it changes, and how others will accept the change, both physical and mental. It is like an identity crisis that manifests in the material world. S. Koreans definitely have the penchant for taking a twisted concept, one that would serve as the complete story for an American flick, and using it to give a story momentum before getting to the real heart of the story. The acting is wonderful if not painfully and embarrassingly portrayed. The direction was wonderful, and the cinematography was splendid. i am not sure whether Sculpture Park really exists or was a set production, but the sculpture there was intensely wonderful on its own accord. Lastly, i usually detest love stories no matter how they are told, and this turned out to be a love story that i loved, tragic though it may have been. Dark, cerebral, moody, and pretty twisted, Time was a wonderful flick on all accounts. Ashe.
derek

Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Once Upon a Time in China (1991). The beginning of this one was rough for me. With lots going on and with the threat of being overly corny, i almost ditched it. Glad that i did not. Once it settled down, it turned into a great first instalment of what i hope is a great trilogy. Ashe.
derek
trilogy?

6 and counting
Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Shi gan AKA Time (2006). Ki-duk Kim is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite directors. i love the complaints that are thrown his way, which are basically that he is too this or too that. Sounds like jealousy to me. Time is a wonderful account centering on the self, what it is, how it changes, and how others will accept the change, both physical and mental. It is like an identity crisis that manifests in the material world. S. Koreans definitely have the penchant for taking a twisted concept, one that would serve as the complete story for an American flick, and using it to give a story momentum before getting to the real heart of the story. The acting is wonderful if not painfully and embarrassingly portrayed. The direction was wonderful, and the cinematography was splendid. i am not sure whether Sculpture Park really exists or was a set production, but the sculpture there was intensely wonderful on its own accord. Lastly, i usually detest love stories no matter how they are told, and this turned out to be a love story that i loved, tragic though it may have been. Dark, cerebral, moody, and pretty twisted, Time was a wonderful flick on all accounts. Ashe.
derek
have you seen 3-iron yet?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:15 AM
Bad Natured

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwoti View Post
trilogy?

6 and counting
The reason i called it a trilogy is cuz i got the trilogy boxset from the library, obviously it sounds like there are a double triple of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwoti View Post
have you seen 3-iron yet?
Naw, its pretty high on the list though. Any good? i have only made my way through four of Ki-duk Kim's works (i am pacing myself).

Once Upon a Time in China 2 (1992). Even better than the first. Ashe.
derek