Old 12-25-2021, 12:45 AM
Evil Dead

Strangers on a Train*

A great thriller and undoubtedly, one of Hitchcock's better works, no doubt.

He wonderfully illustrates how the unsuspecting Guy Haines is lured into Bruno's trap. Not even in a naive way, he is just trying to be polite to a clingy fan. It also sets up how he has no space to move. The drunk professor was a nice touch in that aspect.

The actors shine in their parts. Robert Walker as the insane Bruno. Farley as Guy, who goes from a charming, polite young man to somebody driven to madness. And Patricia Hitchcock as the bubbly sister Barbara. She adds a bit of relief and a lighter touch to the procedings.
Old 12-25-2021, 12:46 AM
Evil Dead

Citizen Kane

A four star epic, no doubt.

You can tell how it laid the foundations for later biopics and life stories. And the images are without a doubt wonderful and sometimes (like the methaphor of the breakfast table) downright brilliant.

Does that make it the best film ever? That's a matter of taste. But it's cerrtainly up there with the all time greats.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:24 PM
病気の

Nightmare Alley, 1947. 8/10

Director: Edmund Goulding

Old 12-31-2021, 01:27 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post

Colleen Grey!! Yeah, Baby!

ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE (1963). Silly title to be sure, but very moody throughout and better than You would think. In what could almost be a GILLIGAN'S ISLAND precursor, a small craft with seven people is caught in a storm and winds up on a deserted isle, other than a derelict ship which holds a secret. Tensions rise as the group unity begins to fray. More serious than normal Toho fare, I like this and also remember how it scared the bejesus out of my younger Brother when We first saw it! ***
Old 01-02-2022, 08:35 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post

I'm intrigued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
Colleen Grey!! Yeah, Baby!

ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE (1963). Silly title to be sure, but very moody throughout and better than You would think. In what could almost be a GILLIGAN'S ISLAND precursor, a small craft with seven people is caught in a storm and winds up on a deserted isle, other than a derelict ship which holds a secret. Tensions rise as the group unity begins to fray. More serious than normal Toho fare, I like this and also remember how it scared the bejesus out of my younger Brother when We first saw it! ***
Ah Matango! I own Matango (Attack of the Mushroom People). I'm assuming you've seen the original Japanese version? I originally saw the eng dub in b/w... must have been on our b/w TV. Creeped me out. It was interesting to eventually see in color, has a different feel to it.

A lot about Matango is strange, but the worst is this one scene where on the boat, after a long intense build, a mush-peep opens the door and then they cut away to something else, and we never see what happened. So weird.

The sound effects of the mush-peep are really creepy, quite the atmosphere. Horrific, in a Twighlight Zone type of way, but not exactly satisfying.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:53 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I'm intrigued.

Ah Matango! I own Matango (Attack of the Mushroom People). I'm assuming you've seen the original Japanese version? I originally saw the eng dub in b/w... must have been on our b/w TV. Creeped me out. It was interesting to eventually see in color, has a different feel to it.

A lot about Matango is strange, but the worst is this one scene where on the boat, after a long intense build, a mush-peep opens the door and then they cut away to something else, and we never see what happened. So weird.

The sound effects of the mush-peep are really creepy, quite the atmosphere. Horrific, in a Twighlight Zone type of way, but not exactly satisfying.
The version I just watched is also called MATANGO, purchased from the kind folks at DCS VIDEO SCREAMS
Old 01-05-2022, 01:10 AM
Evil Dead

THE PHENIX CITY STORY (1955). Had never heard of this until recently, but checked it out and pretty good albeit very hard hitting Noir. Small town is in the grip of graft and corruption by local mob and not much chance of being toppled as most of the law enforcement are involved as well. A small group of citizen's are helping to "clean up" the town, but what sacrifices will be involved? This is based on a true story, although some things were changed around.

This gets pretty intense, very much like THE BIG HEAT or TV's THE UNTOUCHABLES and surprised a lot of the violence (some scenes still shocking) and sexual innuendo (Meg Myles, a Pin-Up/Torch singer is quite provocative in her scenes) made it past the censors. Decent cast with John McIntyre (PSYCHO), Kathryn Grant (SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD) and Richard Kiley in his film debut.

Worth a look-if Your copy has Clete Roberts (a real life TV man, who was also in a couple of MASH episodes) at the beginning, fast forward as He interviews People on who the film was based. Almost a walking "Spoiler alert" and almost 15 minutes before the story begins...really should have been a " Special Feature". ***
Old 01-06-2022, 05:50 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
Panic 1963
Old 01-10-2022, 01:03 AM
Evil Dead

MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1932)
Old 01-16-2022, 11:36 PM
Evil Dead

MIRACLE ON 34th STREET (1947)