Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Banned

Coffin Joe

Brazil's José Mojica Marins(aka Zé do Caixão-Coffin Joe) is one of the great world horror masters, who's work is largely unsung, outside of cult circles. Pretty much a Jack of all trades, who has been producing, directing, writing and even creating the music for his films since the early 60s. His signature character, the undertaker Coffin Joe, introduced in At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (1964) is a cross between Sergio Leone's nihilist Man with No Name trilogy and the gory excesses of Lewis and Romero, with a strange hint of pedophilia. Although there are only a small handful of true Coffin Joe films, he has appeared as the character many times, and is still making films.

I've seen about 4 of his films, on VHS, and want to get a DVD collection of his work going. I was wondering how many fans of his are here, if they have any of his work on disc, and what quality it is. Which, at the moment, are worth the investment. Let me know what you think.

Here's a couple of great fansites to check out, also-

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN
Old 09-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Coffin Joe is prime stuff. The easiest way to get the DVD collection together is to get the box. It's not badly priced and it's awesome.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Banned

Gotta link?

Only trouble with box sets, is that you sometimes don't get exactly the films you want, and, depending on the distributer, not the best prints, either. I'd like to get original language discs, which may come with a bit of special features. Unedited will probably be out of the question, as his films were heavily censored, and who knows what happened to all that footage.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:34 PM
mostly ghostly?

coffin joe is great.
nice to see appreciation for him.

unfortunately, the boxset went out of print last year, as did most of his films. you'd have to find them on ebay, and they're usually pretty pricey there.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Cranky

I love Coffin Joe, and other Marins films.

Really want to see the latest one.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 09-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Mephistophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festered View Post
Gotta link?

Only trouble with box sets, is that you sometimes don't get exactly the films you want, and, depending on the distributer, not the best prints, either. I'd like to get original language discs, which may come with a bit of special features. Unedited will probably be out of the question, as his films were heavily censored, and who knows what happened to all that footage.
Apparently, it's out of print, being sold on Amazon for 70 dollars. Just look up Coffin Joe trilogy on Amazon. It's not on Deep Discount, which is where I got mine. Maybe this movie will encourage a new release though.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Banned

I saw the coffin box set ranging from $130 - 150, in various conditions. Anybody here have it, and if so, what are the best discs in it?

I'm thinking, I could probably put together exactly what I want, individually, for much less, with a little horse trading.

And, yea, the trailer is awesome. Hopefully I'll be able to get it in the states without too much hassle. Doubt I'll see it on a big screen tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzW8rO3Iz6k

Hell - Coffin Joe style- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMZJhZ0I1yc

Last edited by Festered; 09-14-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Mephistophiliac

I got it for 40 bucks back in March.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I got it for 40 bucks back in March.
What grade were the prints in? What discs in the set looked best and what probably shouldn't have been included?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Mephistophiliac

Excellent prints. You are talking about the trilogy box, right? That's out of print now to, much to my surprise, because other than a lack of features I have no real qualms with the trilogy box. The interviews on each disc are fun.