Old 11-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Bad Natured

Russia Against Napoleon: The True Story of the Campaigns of War and Peace by Dominic Lieven. A rather one-sided account of Napoleon's foible into the Russian heartland, it does cover the heretofore story from the Russian standpoint.
g

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 AM
BuyTheTicket, TakeTheRide

Had a Cthulhu like dream/nightmare last night and woke up to an absolute downpour this morning, taking that as a sign i just spent the most of it reading H.P.'s The Call of Cthulhu. His work is timeless and still rivals any horror or fantasy based authors to ever live. Its no wonder that his work has been so poorly translated onto the big screen just because his manner of telling a story and creating his fantasy worlds are unlike anybody elses. His use of literature makes his worlds ment to be created and imagined by the reader, which in return can be felt on a much deeper level than just watching it on a movie screen. Although not the easiest of authors to read his work is still some of the best. Highly recommended for readers of the macabre and gloomy.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Satan's joystick

The father's little speech about being dragged to hell in chains fills me with pure joy to be alive.

DISAPPOINT. Was expecting gleeful comedy and got unfunny bitching.

Reliving childhood awesomeness. I got to Killing Frost in two days.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Wanna Join?

VATHEK by William Beckford, a short review. Published in 1786 this was Beckford's entry into the arena of Gothic fiction. Presented as a mock tale of the Arabian Nights it was, and some say still is, the pinnacle of its kind becoming so important and influential Byron referred to it as his Bible and gave the European reading audience all the garb and garbage of occidental orientalism. Caliph Vathek and his overbearing mother join forces to seek out power and knowledge not meant for sublunary man from Eblis, the satan of the East. As one would expect such treasures do not come cheap, but mother and son, the heart and soul of one of the most malignant malversations in all literature, seem oblivious to the terms of transaction. By novel's end they find while the devil may hide in the details, perdition flourishes in ignorance.

Devendra Varmas has said, "The Gothic novel appeals to the night-side of the soul." To do this you need a dark novel and parts of VATHEK are too dark to be appealing. Unrelentingly vile and loathsome, I had to stop and read a collection of murder mysteries (by Mary Rinehart Roberts for those interested) to cheer myself up and gather strength to finish it. VATHEK is a novel villains and their villainy, where hell is the hero consummating comeuppance by collecting the coinage of fools. Then sing the readers odes of gratitude with neither shame nor guilt.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 01-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I'll have to track that down.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Undead Cavalier

Send a message via AIM to fiend_skull Send a message via MSN to fiend_skull
Finished: "Weaveworld" by Clive Barker
Started: "Dracula" by Bram Stoker and "Danse Macabre" by Stephen King
Next in like: "The Great and Secret Show" by Clive Barker
Old 01-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Satan's joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend_skull View Post
Finished: "Weaveworld" by Clive Barker

Ooooh was it good? I recently got my hands on it but haven't read it yet. I love Clive Barker! Have you read Imajica?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Undead Cavalier

Send a message via AIM to fiend_skull Send a message via MSN to fiend_skull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
Ooooh was it good? I recently got my hands on it but haven't read it yet. I love Clive Barker! Have you read Imajica?
I really enjoyed it and definitely think if you like Clive Barker's other work, you'll definitely enjoy it. I haven't had a chance to read Imajica, but I have hear great things about it.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Satan's joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend_skull View Post
I really enjoyed it and definitely think if you like Clive Barker's other work, you'll definitely enjoy it. I haven't had a chance to read Imajica, but I have hear great things about it.
Imajica is one of my favorite books ever so you definitely need to get your hands on it! Woho, I'm starting Weaveworld today then.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Satan's joystick

These just came in the mail:

BRAINGASM! 8D