Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-29-2010, 06:19 AM
What Fuel's Yours??

Can Horror Survive?

I recently read an article entitled, " The Slow Death of Horror", in this article they go into great detail on how Hollywood is killing the genre. Most of the points that they presented were very valid, but this is why we exist.

A message to all horror fans, our genre is in peril and it is up to us to save it. My partner and I have started a community dedicated to reviving our beloved genre. We must keep the scares coming, and we need your help to do it.

You can fan us on Facebook for regular updates. We are LA locals and have 3 horror fests between now and Halloween including on in Las Vegas!! Come show your support for horror and lets all scare Hollywood into fixing what they have broken....

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...6060960?ref=ts
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Cranky

I don't believe Hollywood can "kill" one of the most primal types of storytelling, one which has existed since the beginning of time, and would continue to exist even if Hollywood never made another horror movie. People love to be scared. From the tales we're told when we're children, of witches that eat little children, to stories of killers with hooks that we tell around campfires, we'll continue to scare each other, no matter how many pundits bemoan the supposed rise or fall of certain types of movies.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Evil Dead

Horror will not die. Even if for whatever reason, it dies out in Hollywood, it will most certainly live on in independent films, low budget films, and underground films.

At the risk of sounding cliché, "you cannot kill what you did not create". Contrary to popular belief, Hollywood did not create the primal-instinct of fear.

Last edited by VampiricClown; 03-29-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM
BuyTheTicket, TakeTheRide

Well put NE & VC. Hollywood can try to water it down and try as hard as they want to kill it (which nowadays it seems like they ARE trying to), but it doesnt matter cause the sense of fear is something that will never be detered. Its been around as long as we have and there is a small percent of us now that will stop at nothing to preserve it. So I say let the tards in hollywood try to kill it cause theres still gonna be conventions all year long throughout the country and people will still go camping and last i checked people can still read.......i think. Horror will not go anywhere any time soon!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
This is 2010, two options present themselves in all possible arenas, artistic and otherwise: innovate or die. The horror genre must act accordingly. If Hollywood feels pressure to embrace change, it will. Take its wholesale embrace of geek culture, for example. Kick Ass and Scott Pilgrim are coming to the big screen. People are excited about a multimillion dollar Iron Man movie. In the 80s this would have been incomprehensible, but geeks have the money and the fervor to move mountains culturally. They won't be ignored. As better horror becomes popular thanks to smarter people having the dollars to vote with, it will rise further to the top.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
"Can Horror Survive?"

Yes.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 03-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Misanthrope

Horror certainly is having a lull lately. The majority of stuff I've watched recently has been average.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Undead Cavalier

Send a message via AIM to fiend_skull Send a message via MSN to fiend_skull
Much like many of the antagonists in these movies, it is impossible to kill Horror. Maybe kill a franchise, a character, a story line, an idea, or something of that nature, but never the genre of horror. Horror Movies have been around forever and they have experienced drops at times, but they can never die.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:26 PM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
at this point unless a movie is foreign, I don't want to watch it. I pretty much started feeling this way after I saw the trailer for sherlock holmes for the first time.

if hollywood refuses to give me some compelling characters and drama in their movies, I'll look elsewhere.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:55 PM
No charge for awesomeness

I think you guys are all missing the point. This is just a well disguised spam message to try to recruit friends to his facebook page.

:rolleyes:

Tags
death, fear, festival, horror, sad