Old 12-14-2006, 05:48 AM
Mr. Malevolence

J-Horror Research.

I'm currently doing some research on J-Horror for my media studies. I chose to study J-Horror as i've seen Ringu and Ju On and i thought they were amazing films. so much better than their American counterparts.

Basically if you have the time, i'd like to get some opinions on the following questions.

1. What draws you to watch J-Horror over other World Cinema?

2. Why do you feel that the conventions of J-Horror create such a scary movie?

3. What are your opinions on Japanese Cinema being re-made in America?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:16 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

Before I answer, could you clear something up for me:

By J-Horror over other world cinema, I'm assuming you're excluding other asian horror such as Korean and Chinese?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Evil Dead

Nothing. I do not select Japanese horror over other Asian horror. In fact, I tend to like Korean films as much or better as Japanese films. I also watch films from a variety of non-Asian countries. What draws me to watch Asian horror over American horror is that I like ghost stories, and Asian directors are doing these well while America seems stuck on torture at the moment.

From someone used to American horror, the conventions get too predictable. By moving into Asian (or most international) horror, one encounters entirely different conventions. Also, without big-budget special effects, stories seem to get better. American films seem to be about CGI first and story second. Since this drives me crazy, I seek films from other counties who don't make this mistake.

That's easy - I think it is terrible. First, the American remakes rarely credit the original so it isn't even a good way to increase familiarity with the original. Second, it keeps American audiences dumb by catering to their refusal to endure subtitles, learn about foreign cultures, etc. Most Americans grow up knowing virtually nothing about other counties, and this shows in our foreign policy. Third, I'm guessing the American directors who remake the films earn way more money than their Asian counterparts, and this just doesn't seem fair.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Malevolence View Post
I'm currently doing some research on J-Horror for my media studies. I chose to study J-Horror as i've seen Ringu and Ju On and i thought they were amazing films. so much better than their American counterparts.

Basically if you have the time, i'd like to get some opinions on the following questions.

it is (well, was) fresh and new compared to the horror films being made at the time in north america.

Quote:
the convention i appreciate has nothing to do with 'scares' It has everything to do with how much effort they put into their films (at least the several that i've seen) They take them seriously ... they put a lot of work into the look and feel of the films as well as the acting.
In contrast the north american horror film (for the most part) hasnt been taken seriously by the industry since the '70s.
I dont know if i've only seen the very best japan/korea, etc has to offer or a general cross section that represents the average film ... but either way - i appreciate their entheusiasm .. something we havent seen in horror since the italians took over the genre (with gusto :D)

Quote:
I think its great.
If they hadnt remade the Ring i wouldnt have known there was a japanese version. it opened a whole new world for me. The japanese origionals are following the remakes to north america because of the interest.
Also i think it's had a hand in re-inspiring horror filmmakers in N/A. If well done horror - even foreign horror or american films based on foreign horror ... makes money - sets the bar ... then the americans see the benefit of making better horror films.

it has been widely acknowledged that there is a lot of 'same-y-ness' in the j-horror (the ghost girl, long wet hair, clogging drains ..etc) but i dont care .. its still a welcome diversion from the teen slasher flicks.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Smack My Titties

What about the latest J-Horror release: SchoolGirl Knickers Vending Machine ?

:eek:

Old 12-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Your funeral... my trial

Hello again, marketing robot.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Malevolence View Post

1.j-horror is the only horror that actually scares me. its the only think that creeps me out. also most of their ideas are very original. i dont see the same moviie being copied numerous times like i do with american horror movies.

2.j-horror is so scary because their culture is completely different from ours or anyone elses. their legnds,myths,fears,beliefs, and just daily life are different from ours. they fear more spiritual things then they do physical things. bu when they do get to that aspect of horror its very creepy because they use what they know will scare us.

3. j-horror being remade in america is very popular. but i dont like it. i think they should leave that genre alone and not remamke those films. i also think the american remakes make the asian horror loose its credibility of being serious.
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?id=psycho_butthead Look at your creation,Under constant sedation.Cut and made to bleed,Off my wounds you continue to feed.You tell me your sorry with those lying eyes,Then pull out a knife which is no surprise.Teasing the blade accross my throat,Slowly sliding me out of my coat.
Blood slowly runs down my chest,Mezmerized by my pale skin yet you look impressed.
You raise the knife above my chest,Wispering words to my heart of theft.Welcome to the my world,The blade of that knife is the last thing my heart held.