Old 04-10-2008, 09:47 AM
For Vendetta

The Day The Earth Stood Still remake has NO GORT!

April 10, 2008

Ain't-It-Cool-News got a look at the "The Day the Earth Stood Still" script, a remake of the science-fiction classic starring Keanu Reeves in the title.

Here are some highlights:

A robot is in the film but its nothing like "Gort." It's called the "Totem" and apparently walks around on all fours, shoots a death-ray and stands upright like a totem pole when its finished.

Also, the immortal words, "Klaatu Barada Nicto" are never uttered. Ever.

Want a peek at the script still? Here it is :-

*****WARNING - MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD*****

The story starts out with a promising beginning. Astronauts aboard the space shuttle discover a glassy sphere, which they recover through their bay doors.

No sooner as they do, the sphere (as if it has a will of its own) lets itself out, joining thousands of other spheres that head towards the surface of the Earth.

Scientist Dr. Helen Benson (portrayed by Jennifer Connelly) has a whiny son, Jacob. He's not as interesting as Bobby Benson in the original, and I'm real tired of the dysfunctional family theme. Jacob plays too many "violent" video games, Helen scolds him for it. She might as well put a dress on this kid and get it over with. Yet, they live in a violent world - we discover that Jacob's father was killed in Iraq.

An enormous energy sphere shows up in New York, and good ol' Klaatu makes his appearance. The entire army and air force are ready to stomp his ass if he gets out of line.

Of course he gets shot, and we do get a robot to come out of the ship. But its nothing like "Gort" - nor is it as fierce as "Gort."

Its called the "Totem". It walks around on all fours, does its destructo-ray stuff, and stands upright like a totem pole when its finished.

Cut to the chase.

Klaatu enters the hospital. He escapes in a military uniform. There is no allusion to the "Major Carpenter" or "Carpenter" name, which is the subtext in the original film (Klaatu was a metaphor for Christ).

Klaatu befriends Helen and Jacob, enlisting their aid to meet with a "Mr. Wu" who is from Klaatu's home planet. Wu who has been monitoring Earth's behavior for eighty years - at a McDonald's of all places.

Turns out that...because of Global Warming (and the destruction of our own planet with industrial waste and pollution)....the other galaxies deemed that we are not fit to survive. The glass spheres they sent down were to collect land and sea animal specimens to take back to their planet for study.

Needless-to-say, Earth goes through a violent energy field released through Klaatu's ship (wait a minute - wasn't Gort supposed to be the ultimate bad ass in this story?). But Earth survives, with Klaatu giving we humans a second chance as he dies - telling us that we must change our ways in order to survive, in a delivery that would rival Steven Segal's speech at the end of "On Deadly Ground."

Professor Barnhardt is in it, but his role his limited. Plus, he gets killed. Why? He was the voice of reason. This makes no sense.

Yes, there is a scene where everything in the world stops for an hour and chaos erupts, but it was done in the original much better...and with style.

There are so many books out there just begging to be made into films, why does Fox have to remake a classic?

Why not film Joe Haldeman's,"Forever Wars"?

Or "Alfred Bester's "The Stars My Destination"?

Or Arthur C. Clarke's "Rendezvous With Rama"? Or "Childhood's End"?

Or the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson?

Or quit stalling Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" as a movie?

Why...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36336
Old 04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned

They probably figured with Keanu in the movie...they didn't need another emotionless, inanimate robot.

And instead of "Klaatu Barada Nicto" he's gonna say EXCELLENT!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
They probably figured with Keanu in the movie...they didn't need another emotionless, inanimate robot.

And instead of "Klaatu Barada Nicto" he's gonna say EXCELLENT!

LOL!!!! :D
Old 04-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Zydrate Anatomy

This sucks! I love The Day the Earth Stood Still and now they are going to screw it up! :mad:
Old 04-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Evil Dead

How will this "screw up" the original? lol
Old 04-10-2008, 02:47 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
I still need to see the original...
Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I'm glad they took out all that pesky nuance. Now I can just enjoy a fun sci-fi ride for all ages. If we're lucky, they'll be able to get all that class struggle nonsense out of the new Metropolis so Republicans can enjoy it too!
Old 04-10-2008, 03:47 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I'm glad they took out all that pesky nuance. Now I can just enjoy a fun sci-fi ride for all ages. If we're lucky, they'll be able to get all that class struggle nonsense out of the new Metropolis so Republicans can enjoy it too!
Hehehehehehe
Old 04-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to BloodRedFlower
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
HAHAHA Agreed!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Evil Dead

I know that the original can never been `screwed up`,but the name can and will be forever tarnished with a cash in rip of remake.

Ever mention TCM to the general punters and they talk about the remake and never the Hooper classic for example.So when the movie gets a mauling they think of the remake that sucks.

Shame really but thats how a lot of people think,they cant think of anything other than what is current.