Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-22-2015, 03:04 AM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
Cannibal Holocaust (1980)

Self-proclaimed as "the most controversial film ever made" and often credited to creating the found footage genre, Cannibal Holocaust has a huge reputation to uphold, but brutal, sometimes unnecessary violence mixed with a relevant social commentary leave mixed results. Cannibal Holocaust follows an anthropologist traveling to the Amazon to find a missing documentary crew that were sent to film the cannibalistic tribes who lived in the jungles. After finding the lost footage, a news channel intends to broadcast the footage, and we are shown the grisly demise of the team. It's often referred to as one of the most disturbing movies of all time, and it certainly makes you feel a little dirty watching it. The torture and rape displayed by the indigenous tribe is just as shocking as the behavior the documentary team shows towards the tribe, so there's really nothing pleasant to watch in this film. One of the more famous lines in the movie asks who the savages really are: the cannibalistic tribe or the documentary crew. It presents some thought-provoking stuff, but it's so hard to ponder those themes when your senses are being assaulted by the graphic nature of this film. The social commentary in Cannibal Holocaust and the reputation itself makes this a must-watch for fans of extreme cinema; just don't try to watch this for entertainment.
Well said.
I watched it and gave my copy away the next day. That's not to say I think the film wasn't effective. It was, and the themes and messages presented were not only provocative when the film was made, but they are still valid and compelling today. I just knew that whatever I was to take from this movie, I had already taken in the first viewing, and no rewatch would have unearthed any new revelations. There is no subtlety in this film, so a rewatch to me would have been pointless. To my mind,The filmmakers succeded, but It's a flick I dont need on my shelf.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:42 PM
Little Boo

70's film

The Mephisto Waltz, starring Alan Alda, keeps popping in my head. I can only remember thinking it was the best thing Alda ever did, but would I be wasting my time seeking it out to re-watch?
Also, I just put this on youtube a few days ago. Please check it out and share!
https://youtu.be/Z2byPsp4weg King of Halloween by Mark Manchuria.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:10 PM

WITHIN THE WOODS 1978

Clocks in at about half an hour and was the seed for The Evil Dead. Grainy and almost indecipherable at times but such a treat.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:40 AM
Evil Dead

i think anyone that watches horror films with real life animal cruely in them are arseholes, though its more excusable if its a first watch. Yes i may be hypocritical considering im a meat eater. However my point still stands regardless

Last edited by neilold; 09-26-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:02 AM
Evil Dead

I agree with you...hate the animal cruelty shown in the jungle cannibal genre, especially in MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY and SLAVE OF THE CANNIBAL GOD...once is really more than enough!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Penthouse Pauper

Burnt Offerings- 1976. Loveeee me some Bette Davis. That lady had some gumption. Joan Crawford too. Which would account for Trog.

As for the movie it's always been one of my favorites. That chauffeur is creepy AF.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilold View Post
i think anyone that watches horror films with real life animal cruely in them are arseholes, though its more excusable if its a first watch. Yes i may be hypocritical considering im a meat eater. However my point still stands regardless
Why exactly? I didn't watch that for the animal cruelty, and I certainly didn't enjoy it. It makes no sense why they even used real animals when they could have used props or just not have the deaths.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:32 AM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialKiller View Post
Burnt Offerings- 1976. Loveeee me some Bette Davis. That lady had some gumption. Joan Crawford too. Which would account for Trog.

As for the movie it's always been one of my favorites. That chauffeur is creepy AF.
I'm a Burnt Offerings fan too. Bette Davis and Karen Black sharing screen time?? That's just plain irresistible. And Oliver Reed? His character...

****SPOILER*************SPOILER****

...and the way he just go's from good Dad to evil sadist Dad in the pool is freakishly convincing. I really think Reed enjoyed that role.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Penthouse Pauper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
I'm a Burnt Offerings fan too. Bette Davis and Karen Black sharing screen time?? That's just plain irresistible. And Oliver Reed? His character...

****SPOILER*************SPOILER****

...and the way he just go's from good Dad to evil sadist Dad in the pool is freakishly convincing. I really think Reed enjoyed that role.

Agreed, the pool scene gave me chills. Do you know if the significance of the glasses was ever established?
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Evil Dead

THE CAR (1977). This pops up a lot on "Bad Movie" lists and it is pretty bad, but not THAT bad. Funny if nothing else with a good cast, lovely scenery and pretty suspenseful in parts. **

While watching this, my wife said it reminded her of a SUPERNATURAL episode, so we put in "Route 666" from the first season and DAMN if there were not a LOT of similarities.