Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Red Dragon
Red Dragon 9 64.29%
Manhunter 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Something about a pillow

Manhunter vs. Red Dragon

Which was better? I just rented Manhunter because I didnt even know my movie place had it :rolleyes:, but I have been Red Dragon's biggest fan forever.

I just cant imagine Brian Cox as Hannibal Lecktor(what the fuck is with that spelling?), and anyone but Edward Norton as Will Graham cant possibly be as good, can they?

I'll watch it then give my opinion.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:35 PM
It's Daddy,you shithead!

i gotta go with red dragon.manhunter,which i like was good for it's time and place.however i feel red dragon really nailed the tooth fairy (don't get me wrong..tom noonan's a creepy s.o.b.) with the tattoos and overall insanity that fiennes or whatever brought to the part.as for gramhn(again,ed nortan..good)william peterson had the maturity level going...oh shit,i sound like roger ebert!

p.s. enjoy the movie.:D

Budduskey:i am the motherfucking shore patrol,motherfucker!i am the motherfucking shore patrol!give this man a beer.

"Repent, Harlequin!" said the Ticktockman.
"Get stuffed!" replied the Harlequin, sneering.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:49 PM
PRIVATE EYE

Send a message via AIM to nine9
Well I liked both, Red Dragon is probably better because of Anthony, but I really thought Manhunter was an excellent movie, and the original, it would have been better I think if AH had been in it.
Ralf Fiennes though,is just too cute to play the killer......the whole thing with the blind girl makes no sense with him cast in that part! Creepier to see her walking around with the other freak not knowing. A hair lip does not make an otherwise good looking guy ugly..........that was just untruthful for me!
Old 07-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Something about a pillow

Quote:
Originally posted by nine9
Well I liked both, Red Dragon is probably better because of Anthony, but I really thought Manhunter was an excellent movie, and the original, it would have been better I think if AH had been in it.
Ralf Fiennes though,is just too cute to play the killer......the whole thing with the blind girl makes no sense with him cast in that part! Creepier to see her walking around with the other freak not knowing. A hair lip does not make an otherwise good looking guy ugly..........that was just untruthful for me!
haha I agree, sometimes I think Fienes is just to good looking to go out with a bind girl. He needed someone that appreciated his looks, even with the hairlip.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:58 PM
PRIVATE EYE

Send a message via AIM to nine9
Quote:
Originally posted by orangestar
haha I agree, sometimes I think Fienes is just to good looking to go out with a bind girl. He needed someone that appreciated his looks, even with the hairlip.
LOL! So true! :D
Old 07-16-2004, 04:26 AM
Fear scented candle

No offense to those that liked it, but I thought Manhunter was awful. True, i saw it long after i had seen red dragon, but I was really surprised to find out it was Michael Mann's movie. Heat is one of my all time favorites, but Manhunter seemed like a Glen Campbell video with a serial killer.

The other hting is that the guy who played the killer was Kaine from robocop 2, and i have never been able to take him seriously.

I liked Ralph Fiennes as the killer. I never realised how HUGE he could be. He was really intimidating, which is something because i'm a pretty big guy so that usually doesnt mean much to me.

I love Brian Cox, but Hopkins IS Hannibal lector. And when Edward Norton plays a part, that is his part. no one else can match him.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Something about a pillow

I watched Manhunter last night, and I was really impressed. Its weird for me to not have a real opinion on whether I liked the original or the remake more, but they are both really good.

I think overall, Brian Cox is a better actor, and I LOVED how he did Hannibal, but I have been trained to think of Mr. Hopkins as Mr. Lector so there was a little something missing. I adore Ed Norton and everything about him, and I think he gave Will Grahams character another dimension. The whole movie, I kept thinking the guy playing Will looks way to much like a balding Matthew McConaghey so I couldnt focus.

Manhunter handled the relationship between Dolarhyde and the blind girl much better than Red Dragon I think, and it also had a much much better ending.

Overall Red Dragon gets my vote because it gave so much more history about Hannibal and Graham, and also about how Dolarhyde became the killer that he is.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Coolio is my hero

Send a message via AIM to KRUGERKID13 Send a message via Yahoo to KRUGERKID13
rd hands down
Old 07-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Evil Dead

Manhunter vs. Red Dragon

Red Dragon far surpasses Manhunter in just about every aspect of film. However, you can't look past the fact that Manhunter was the original prequel to Silence of the Lambs. But, that is the only thing that the movie has going for it. Brian Cox sucks as Hannibal the movie was edited terribly. At the end, a cop gets shot with a Shotgun and you can see the string that is pulling her away from the door. Red Dragon worked because it was made in the present time period. The acting was great, and the fact that Anthony Hopkins is and always will be Hannibal Lector.
________
silver surfer vaporizer

Last edited by thecritic; 01-17-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Coolio is my hero

Send a message via AIM to KRUGERKID13 Send a message via Yahoo to KRUGERKID13
hey critic just thought id tell ya too check out contributors corner at the bottom of the forums