Old 02-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Evil Dead

DVDR Sale Sites

Are these even legal? I've seen tons of sites offering movies on DVDR for sale. What is up with these sites? Is there not some kind of copyright infringement going on there?

Also, are these sites actually selling DVDs that have decent quality?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:09 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
I know alot of people frown upon it but i just download and burn my own.It's cheap plus all mine are dvd quality.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
I know alot of people frown upon it but i just download and burn my own.It's cheap plus all mine are dvd quality.
But is it legal for these sites to sell these? If so, I should order some of these "rare" films, and copy and sell them myself. Not to mention, my uncle gave me a movie collection of over 1,000 movies on VHS.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:19 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
I'm sure on some level its illegal but you run a real risk of buying them from these people.

They could be setting you up or they could be fakes or real crappy copies.

I personally wouldn't do it but thats just me.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
I'm sure on some level its illegal but you run a real risk of buying them from these people.

They could be setting you up or they could be fakes or real crappy copies.

I personally wouldn't do it but thats just me.
Or are they selling movies that are now in the public domain? That's the only way that I can see that they would be able to pull it off.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Cranky

Haahahahahaha... on "some level" it's illegal... hahahahahaha...

ROD GET IN HERE AND TALK TO THESE KIDS.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 02-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Haahahahahaha... on "some level" it's illegal... hahahahahaha...

ROD GET IN HERE AND TALK TO THESE KIDS.
That's what I'm wondering.

Though, if I am correct, you can sell such films as Carnival Of Souls (1962) on DVDR without getting into any legal trouble, because the copyright on such films have died.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:38 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Please do not steal films

Just because it's easy and "everyone's doing it" doesn't make it less illegal and wrong. There's a simple rule to follow in order to live a life of positive karma that I have drilled into my kid's head...Do the right thing ALL THE TIME, not because you're afraid of being caught, but simply because it is the right thing to do.

This doesn't mean the LAW is what is important here, it's the fact that the people who dedicate their life (at no small sacrifice) to create the art and entertainment (to which all of you are so addicted) are receiving no compensation - it is stealing from them. From my friends. From me.

Sure, public domain films are legal to copy - but if you are in doubt as to the copyright status on a film then you can be certain that it is protected.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
Please do not steal films

Just because it's easy and "everyone's doing it" doesn't make it less illegal and wrong. There's a simple rule to follow in order to live a life of positive karma that I have drilled into my kid's head...Do the right thing ALL THE TIME, not because you're afraid of being caught, but simply because it is the right thing to do.

This doesn't mean the LAW is what is important here, it's the fact that the people who dedicate their life (at no small sacrifice) to create the art and entertainment (to which all of you are so addicted) are receiving no compensation - it is stealing from them. From my friends. From me.

Sure, public domain films are legal to copy - but if you are in doubt as to the copyright status on a film then you can be certain that it is protected.
I really don't think anyone got the point of this thread....
Old 02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Misanthrope

I thought a lot of these sites were to get some of the rarer shit out to people thus giving writers and filmakers some recognition.