Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Evil Dead

Horror film reviews

I thought this might be worth trying. A person names a film. a different person will post a review of that film and then name another film. This will then be reviewed by someone else and so on. It'd also be great if this prompts someone to watch the film and then review it. NO SPOILERS :)

I'll choose a well known film to as a starting example.

The Descent 2005
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The Descent is surprisingly well done. The premise is well thought out and executed. Even the opening sequence(after the initial credits) gets you into the film due to its brief, but strong impact. The single thing I liked about this film was that there were no women being rescued by men. No woman being abused and tortured. They are hunted though. The characters are strong willed and the majority of the time is spent supporting each other. They argue of course and are sometimes weak. They are human. Their physical builds are also fairly athletic which also fits the film because they are thrill seekers.
What is also great about this film is the way it is shot. Primarily underground in caves and tight tunnels/spaces. They're exploring and the film allows you to vicariously feel that sensation. They use the proper equipment and they are dressed somewhat appropriate to their initial adventure. No bikinis under white t-shirts.
If you watch the trailer you'll know there is something in the caves with them. This something isn't used too sparingly or over used. You get the perfect amount.
I give this film a 8/10. It is enjoyable, engaging, worth experiencing. The reason I do not give it a higher rating is because it doesn't exhaust you(in a good way) and is not profound. Intensity is there, but it did not affect me strongly enough.

Ok so I'll name another horror film:

The Unnameable
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096344/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

Last edited by TheBossInTheWall; 04-12-2015 at 07:01 AM. Reason: grammer error