Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-05-2003, 01:08 PM

I Spit on Your Grave... Horror or Bad Taste?

I Spit on Your Grave is a very controvercial "rape revenge" movie released in 1977 that still circulates & is also on DVD. :confused: It was also titled Day Of The Woman. I've read some message boards & reviews that claim that any person who liked this movie is SICK! So.... what do you think?
Old 12-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
I think it's an exploitation film...no more, no less. I don't think that if you enjoyed it you are sick however. I mean, it's just a movie. I personally don't think it lived up to its hype.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Evil Dead

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

I think it walks a *very* fine line. I felt dirty watching it, but at the same time enjoyed the main character's revenge against her rapists.

Well, "enjoyed" may not be the right word. I liked the movie, for the most part, though I don't think it's a classic (or one of my personal favorites) by any means. I'd buy it, probably, but I'm not in any big hurry to do so.

J.N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html
Old 12-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Evil Dead

ive seen this one at the store but never rented it ill have to chek i out. i thought the last house on the left was disturbing so ill have to chek this out.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:46 PM
Horror Fan

Once you start limiting creative-artistic expression, you start telling people what they can and can't watch, what they can and can't say.....I don't know about you guys, but I don't want that day to come. You ever read "1984"?
Old 12-06-2003, 06:40 PM
Post-Moderation

Quote:
Once you start limiting creative-artistic expression, you start telling people what they can and can't watch, what they can and can't say.....I don't know about you guys, but I don't want that day to come. You ever read "1984"?
Ya fuck that. I liked the movie, like you guys said its not a classic nor something everyone should see. But i thought it was a decent exploitation movie like avenger said, guess that makes me one of the "sick" ones huh:rolleyes:
Old 12-06-2003, 08:59 PM
Evil Dead

i dunno!?

i'll check it out! how sick is it?:confused:
Old 12-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Post-Moderation

its at LEAST "last house on the left" grafic. Pretty nice
Old 12-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Evil Dead

I don't plan on seeing it because it seems a little close to 'true horror' for my taste. I like my horror more far-fetched or silly. But I do know a rape survivor who enjoyed that and another rape revenge, Ms. 45 strictly for the revenge parts. It took her many years after her rape to get up the fortitude to watch them though. I think she found it almost therapeutic.
No doubt, rape will screw you up for life, frankly I think there should be capitol punishment or life impisonments for rape and child molestation, not this revolving prison door b.s.
That said, it is just a movie, I don't think people liking movies is sick, but I would probably think twice about hanging out alone with somebody who was overly obsessed with watching 'I spit on your grave', 'deliverance', 'last house', etc. and found them to be turn-ons. From what i understand the point of the movie is the big payoff where she takes her revenge. I don't think it's meant to glamourize rape.
Rape is one of the worst true horrors out there that unfortunately happens all the time. Making movies that show the true horror of it is controversial, sexual assault/molestation is one of those shameful things that mainstream society wants to sweep under the rug, but silence will never help solve the problem. So we're better off with movies that do show the true horror of it. I probably wouldn't watch them (or war movies for that matter) for entertainment though. I like it a bit lighter.

Last edited by abbycomix; 12-07-2003 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Evil Dead

Well said, abbycomix. I totally agree with everything you said . . . .

Especially the part about life imprisonment for child molestors/rapists. The victim is screwed up for life -- hence the perpetrator should be as well, dammit.

James N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html