Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Will you participate?
Yes 12 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:12 PM
For Vendetta

Thanks, but it wouldn't have been possible without everyone's contributions, Giganticface. So, pat on the backs from me to everyone involved in this project!

NE's stamp of approval pretty much seals the deal for our Top 22 films for the 80s.

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthre...=57593&page=99

Let's now look at the frontrunners for the Honorable Mentions...

The Return of the Living Dead
The Fog
Near Dark
Predator

...have 3 backings each. The Fog has 4 backings but a negative vote too, so that's 3 overall.

In addition, there are a bunch of films with 2 backings each (underlined as well) - Demons, Child's Play, Christine, and Day of the Dead.

So we have EIGHT films vying for those SIX spots. There are other films with single backings which could spring a surprise as well.

So, let's hear 'em, folks.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Films that I'll back that I have not already backed will be (if I already backed one of these, then I apologize, but I am pretty sure I did not):

Return of the Living Dead
Pumpkinhead
Day of the Dead

I realize that I have, technically, backed more than six, but, to be honest, I believe all the films that I have backed deserve a place on the honorable mention section, so whichever ones make it would be fine with me.

Clearly, the 1980s was a great time for the horror genre, in my opinion.

Last edited by metternich1815; 08-12-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Evil Dead

I'll hopefully help seal the deal on two great films that others have made compelling pleas for:

Return of the Living Dead
Near Dark

[Edit]
I'll also back Demons because those demons are straight up rabid.

I'll also back Sleepaway Camp for being so unique in so many ways -- the real child actors, the screwed up exploitative themes, the terrible, Basket Case level, acting, and of course the WTF ending that you couldn't forget, even if you wanted to.

Last edited by Giganticface; 08-12-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:05 AM
Evil is Better

Return of The Living Dead
Pumpkinhead
Near Dark
The Fog
Predator
Child's Play

Old 08-13-2013, 02:06 AM
Evil Dead

Apart from the ones I already backed, I will back Pumpkinhead, Demons and Day of the Dead.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 AM
For Vendetta

Okay, all are duly added, and it looks like Return of the Living Dead and Near Dark have pretty much sealed themselves in the chosen SIX. (with 6 and 5 backings, respectively)

Our Honorable Mentions looks like this right now:-

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthre...=57593&page=99

The Fog has sneaked in despite a negative vote because it has 5 backings.

Underlined a few other films under the DEBATABLE section which are still in the fray for a spot in the SIX.

If we mutually agree on the FIVE finalised ones under Honorable Mentions, then we have to pick one between Pumpkinhead and Predator for that final Honorable Mentions spot (both have 3 backings each - Pumpkinhead has 4 with a negative vote, while the rest of the underlined have 2 each).

Keep the thoughts coming, folks.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Sometimes dead is better

I will withdraw my backing of Pumpkinhead. It is a great film, but, in my opinion, Predator is a clearly superior film.I agree with the other five chosen choices, they are all great films that deserve to be in the honorable mentions section.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Midnight toker

Near Dark
Demons
Cat People
Blue Velvet

There's one other movie that I'm going to back that wasn't part of my original 20, it was a movie I considered but decided against, but I think it is perfect as an 'honourable mention' type of film. I'm not really expecting it to make the list, I just feel that I should back it. Also if people don't think its fair to back a movie that wasn't in the lists then I totally understand that and I'm not trying to be a dick or stagnate the process, so please just ignore this if it seems inappropriate.

Street of Crocodiles (1986): This is an amazing animated short from The Quay brothers. Its hard to really give a synopsis and the plot is secondary to the experience. This movie really is visual cinema at its best, dripping with bizarre nightmarish imagery it really is a surreal masterpiece. This is a world of decayed porcelain dolls and unknown mechanical contraptions that really needs to be seen to be appreciated. The beautiful stop motion just adds to the surreal nature of the movie. I think its the sort of movie that every fan of surreal cinema needs to see, but equally that so many horror fans will adore.

I appreciate that there are some great movies pushing for just a few slots and I'm aware that I tend to back movies that aren't so well known. At this point in the process I'm not looking to slow things down, this is just a backing for a movie that I adore and I would've felt wrong for not supporting it. But, here is a link to the movie, its only 20mins and while I doubt it will be for everyone, I think its bizarre and interesting enough for at least some of you to get a real kick out of.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straker View Post
Near Dark
Demons
Cat People
Blue Velvet

There's one other movie that I'm going to back that wasn't part of my original 20, it was a movie I considered but decided against, but I think it is perfect as an 'honourable mention' type of film. I'm not really expecting it to make the list, I just feel that I should back it. Also if people don't think its fair to back a movie that wasn't in the lists then I totally understand that and I'm not trying to be a dick or stagnate the process, so please just ignore this if it seems inappropriate.

Street of Crocodiles (1986): This is an amazing animated short from The Quay brothers. Its hard to really give a synopsis and the plot is secondary to the experience. This movie really is visual cinema at its best, dripping with bizarre nightmarish imagery it really is a surreal masterpiece. This is a world of decayed porcelain dolls and unknown mechanical contraptions that really needs to be seen to be appreciated. The beautiful stop motion just adds to the surreal nature of the movie. I think its the sort of movie that every fan of surreal cinema needs to see, but equally that so many horror fans will adore.

I appreciate that there are some great movies pushing for just a few slots and I'm aware that I tend to back movies that aren't so well known. At this point in the process I'm not looking to slow things down, this is just a backing for a movie that I adore and I would've felt wrong for not supporting it. But, here is a link to the movie, its only 20mins and while I doubt it will be for everyone, I think its bizarre and interesting enough for at least some of you to get a real kick out of.

In my opinion, it is fine to back films that were not in my list because I have backed several, possibly a dozen (maybe more) films that were not in my list. Either because I believe now they should make the list or when I made the list I had not seen the film.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Evil is Better

I agree on the finalized films. Between Pumpkinhead and Predator, I'll go with Predator for the final spot. Its the better of the two films.

Closed Thread