Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > TV Shows
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-30-2013, 07:58 AM
That fucking Guy...

The whole show = A final delusion in the mind of Norman Bates before death, to justify his actions to himself.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
The whole show = A final delusion in the mind of Norman Bates before death, to justify his actions to himself.
Hahaha what a great theory!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfangirl66 View Post
Hahaha. I found that strange too. They might be going for the "mysterious new guy" approach even though he is sheltered or perhaps there is more wrong. He even gets another one interested in him last episode.

I think they are actually just trying to make you think that the mother is the crazy one, but she isn't. Dylan just hates her because she left his dad and she's always I think, had to be closer to Norman to cover up for him. After 2 episodes, something is telling me Norman has always been the crazy one and that is mother is extra protective because of it, check out the preview for Episode 3 :

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10101346550972947
Well, she's already killed two people. That's pretty crazy in my book.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 03-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Well, she's already killed two people. That's pretty crazy in my book.
I think she only killed the rapist. And that they are going to take it that Norman killed his father and she's covering for him. That's just my prediction. I am going to keep watching it because I think there is more to it. If not then, It'll die off for me.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:54 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
Hahaha what a great theory!
I don't think it's all that much of a stretch, I mean he went on thinking she was pulling his strings even after she was dead, eh?

I think the "Dafuq?!?" style ending would serve it well.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Watchable if you're looking for a cliche, unimaginative, tawdry, uninspired hack job of a show, sure. If that's what one is looking for, go for it.
HA! Couldn't say it better myself.

I have to agree with those who are disappointed:

I honestly don't understand why they set in present day - It doesn't make sense and it doesn't add anything for me - What target audience are they trying to capture, here? Clearly not classic horror fans of the original - I was expecting it to be from the era of the original and when someone pulled out the iPhone, I was immediately turned off (not to mention Norman sneaking out to join the girls at A RAVE?! Psycho meets Skins - At that point I turned it off).

I actually thought that with the concept and source material this could have been genuinely disturbing and interesting (and if they were clever, they could have conceivably taken some very interesting liberties)... But then again, going back to what NE said at the beginning - It's the mystery of the backstory that really makes the ending of Psycho so deliciously disturbing and sweet. That being said, if this had been done well, I would be on board. But I think it failed in so many different ways.

Honestly, I was sort of hoping for a Mad Men meets American Horror Story - A nice period horror piece - How fantastic would it have been if they had not only taken the Psycho backstory but also threaded in other iconic 60s horror references... Now THAT is a show I want to see!

I actually feel validated hearing that others had my same thoughts here - I thought maybe I was becoming too jaded to enjoy horror tv!

Well, thank Goodness for American Horror Story - I won't be watching this again... I heard that Hannibal is supposed to be pretty damn good, so I'll be tuning into that this week.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
HA! Couldn't say it better myself.

I have to agree with those who are disappointed:

I honestly don't understand why they set in present day - It doesn't make sense and it doesn't add anything for me - What target audience are they trying to capture, here? Clearly not classic horror fans of the original - I was expecting it to be from the era of the original and when someone pulled out the iPhone, I was immediately turned off (not to mention Norman sneaking out to join the girls at A RAVE?! Psycho meets Skins - At that point I turned it off).

I actually thought that with the concept and source material this could have been genuinely disturbing and interesting (and if they were clever, they could have conceivably taken some very interesting liberties)... But then again, going back to what NE said at the beginning - It's the mystery of the backstory that really makes the ending of Psycho so deliciously disturbing and sweet. That being said, if this had been done well, I would be on board. But I think it failed in so many different ways.

Honestly, I was sort of hoping for a Mad Men meets American Horror Story - A nice period horror piece - How fantastic would it have been if they had not only taken the Psycho backstory but also threaded in other iconic 60s horror references... Now THAT is a show I want to see!

I actually feel validated hearing that others had my same thoughts here - I thought maybe I was becoming too jaded to enjoy horror tv!

Well, thank Goodness for American Horror Story - I won't be watching this again... I heard that Hannibal is supposed to be pretty damn good, so I'll be tuning into that this week.
Honestly, even though I said that this show was watchable, I actually have not watched any episodes after the first. I totally agree with all the criticisms here. Additionally, I agree that it would have been more interesting to have had a period piece that referred to horror films from the past (such as the 30s, 40, and 50s). I definitely agree that not knowing Norman's past is what made Psycho so great (there are many people that the only flaw with Psycho was the psychiatrist's explanation at the end because it destroyed the mystery of why Bates committed the terrible crimes). But, in recent years Hollywood has gone on a horror movie villain back-story spree (ex. Halloween, Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. remakes), without understanding, part of the reason why these series's were successful was because of the mystery that surrounded their origins and why they became evil.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
Honestly, even though I said that this show was watchable, I actually have not watched any episodes after the first. I totally agree with all the criticisms here. Additionally, I agree that it would have been more interesting to have had a period piece that referred to horror films from the past (such as the 30s, 40, and 50s). I definitely agree that not knowing Norman's past is what made Psycho so great (there are many people that the only flaw with Psycho was the psychiatrist's explanation at the end because it destroyed the mystery of why Bates committed the terrible crimes). But, in recent years Hollywood has gone on a horror movie villain back-story spree (ex. Halloween, Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. remakes), without understanding, part of the reason why these series's were successful was because of the mystery that surrounded their origins and why they became evil.
Totally true - I must have blocked out the Halloween remake from my memory... Honestly, Halloween is probably my favorite horror movie and I find it so utterly disturbing... PLUS part of the whole concept is that Mike Myers is just PURE EVIL... So its odd to create a background for him, you know? I consider him to be more of a Bad Seed, which, to me, is a LOT more creepy than giving him an I-had-a-miserable-childhood background.

And I STILL can't get over the fact that Norman Bates had an iPhone and went to a rave. :P

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post

And I STILL can't get over the fact that Norman Bates had an iPhone and went to a rave. :P
I found both of those things to be the hardest to buy in that series (for the first episode).
Old 04-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Immortal horror fan

When I heard of Bates Motel, I thought the idea was stupid. I don't remember any of the Psycho sequels. I might have watched a bit of part 2. The shot for shot, I think, modern remake was one of the dumbest ideas ever. Psycho is one of those movies that don't need sequels, prequels, or any of that nonsense.

I didn't know Bates Motel was a modern "origin" until watching a review. It's almost a period show until halfway or so in. I think the show is kind of surprising. But the second episode is where things are getting a bit messy. The whole town is full of drug dealers? I guess I'll watch the third episode. It's only ten episodes. Maybe they won't lose me.