Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > TV Shows

Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Misanthrope

I thought this was excellent. I really like how the characters are closer to what they were in the books. I've always thought they made Graham too tough in the other adaptions (don't get me wrong Manhunter is still one of my favorite movies).

I'm in agreement with Chrono about hoping it doesn't turn into another crime drama. It definitely could get really formulaic if they don't delve into other aspects of the storyline. It's got a lot of potential.

At least with this and The Following crime shows are thinking a little outside the square.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Immortal horror fan

I'm still an episode behind on this show but I'm not sure what to think so far. This isn't a reboot or remake but it still feels like that sort of thing. Which should make it really bad as at least reboots/remakes are movies. For the first two episodes I had the feeling that I've seen this before. Especially towards the halfway mark in the first episode. I thought I know where this is going. Sure there are a few gender changes and things that probably make this closer, I assume to the books. I've only seen Manhunter and the remake Red Dragon which I didn't like that much. I thought the second episode would be newer but it's not really. Except for one of those gender changes. Maybe the third episode will pick things up. But I can't imagine this show with Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal in jail. He is the best part of the show. The guy plays a great bad guy. His Hannibal is not as good as Brian Cox but it's different. I was sold on it when they cut to him enjoying dinner. The breakfast scene is also great. Yet, I can't see this show lasting more than one season. I find the lead kind of boring. He can't compare to William Petersen at all.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 04-20-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Misanthrope

The second episode was a bit of a let down I thought but the third one has set things up for the season to get interesting. I dig how the show is delving into Hannibal's involvement/interaction with other killers... the films hinted at it but never really explored it fully. I can see Mikkelsen's Hannibal still being an effective character even from a jail cell because of this. This will last more than a season IMO.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Horror Fan

Elvis will not know learn what happens next. NBC has canceled the next episode due to subject matter offensive to the City of Boston.

http://www.whogottherole.com/tv-news...canceled-36094

Quote:
NBC has agreed not to air Hannibal Season 1, Episode 4,“Coquilles” out of respect to the victims and the current violence following the Boston Marathon bombings.

The show has a hefty dose of violence and in this particular Episode, a new character who brainwashes children to kill other children was going to be introduced.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Misanthrope

Sounded like it would've been a good episode. Guess it'll see the light of day on DVD/Blu-ray.

I thought The Following would be more offensive in regard to the people of Boston due to it's subject matter.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I can see Mikkelsen's Hannibal still being an effective character even from a jail cell because of this. This will last more than a season IMO.
One of the best parts of Manhunter was the second jail/phone call scene. Part of the dialog is in the second episode of the show. Lecter has his legs up and he's just comfortable like he's not even in jail. Opposed with Graham getting beat down by all the death and crap going on. I believe there are shadows of bars in the background of Graham's hotel room. It's a great scene. The TV show didn't come near that.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

I'm interested to see which direction they take this show.

The blurb from Brian Fuller sounds interesting.

"He went on to call the relationship between Graham and Lecter as "really a love story", saying "As Hannibal has said [to Graham] in a couple of the movies, 'You're a lot more like me than you realize'. We'll get to the bottom of exactly what that means over the course of the first two seasons". Fuller also stated that the show will adapt Harris' books, with Red Dragon being the basis for season four, and he wants to have other famous characters from the book series (such as Jame Gumb and Clarice Starling) provided that he can get the rights to them from MGM.

Last edited by realdealblues; 04-25-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandarian Demon View Post
He's in a million Danish movies (in Danish speaking roles)... and commercials, and tv shows, and whatever they can get him to show up for :D
bahaha - All I can picture is him peddling sausages and singing "My bologna has a first name..." LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Elvis will not know learn what happens next. NBC has canceled the next episode due to subject matter offensive to the City of Boston.

http://www.whogottherole.com/tv-news...canceled-36094
Hmm. That's interesting. I mean, I can understand cancelling the show if it had to do with terrorist bombing... But to be completely honest if they're cancelling it just because it's "really violent" - That is just silly to me. I mean - Come on - It's a HORROR show. Of COURSE there's going to be violence. Should everything in the horror genre come to a halt when awful things happen in the world?? Of course not - That way the terrorists win.

Ok, I was being glib with that last comment and maybe I'm just insensitive, but pulling it just seems silly.

Anyway. I continue to like the show. I thought that the last episode was really well-crafted and I look forward to seeing the developing relationship between Will and Hannibal. I think that the weakest link is Fishburne, though - I'm not convinced that he can actually act. He yells a lot.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Didn't Shoot Bill Murray

I've been hearing really good reviews about this show and after reading all of the reviews in this thread, I think I'm definitely going to watch it now. Will report back with opinions.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Scares Little Kids

I didn't know what to think at first but every episode just gets better and better and now I'm hooked I pray for a second season can't wait for the throw down between Lecter & The black guy who's name I can't remember.