Old 06-18-2016, 12:32 AM
Evil Dead

Conjuring 2 discussion (spoilers)

This movie was well crafted. Cinematography, sound, acting, tempo, etc - all good. James Wan is good at building tension and delivering a scare. IMDB has it at 8.1. So why didn't I like this movie?

Well for one, I felt like I had seen it all before a dozen times. There was nothing new here. I imagine that in a couple of years time this movie will have blended in my head with a bunch of other poltergeist-esque movies.

Secondly I just couldn't get over the fact that these kids were investigating strange noises in the house in the middle of the night. This really annoyed me. I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to buy into this. I just can't imagine my kids ever doing this.

Thirdly, and this is something you guys may be able to help with, what was the point of it all? What was Valak's motivation? To kill the little girl? To kill Patrick Wilson? Neither of those two motivations explain it's actions.

And why was it so selective in it's power usage? Valak could turn valve's to release steam, and force Vera up against a wall, but couldn't push Patrick Wilson out the window? It couldn't release the curtain rail? I really didn't understand the point of any of it. What was Valak doing? Can anyone explain what this movie was about?