Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Evil Dead

The Excorcist

I think the excorcist is one of the scariest films of all time. After all these years, it still gives me the creeps.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Coolio is my hero

Send a message via AIM to KRUGERKID13 Send a message via Yahoo to KRUGERKID13
i didnt care for it and i definetly think its over rated
Old 01-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Great film. Will always be one of the greatest horror films ever made. Simple as that.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Living Dead

Re: The Excorcist

Quote:
Originally posted by bigkev119
I think the excorcist is one of the scariest films of all time. After all these years, it still gives me the creeps.
I agree.

Was it banned in the US for years like it was in the UK? I don't think it warranted that, but it certainly added to the hype surrounding the film.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Evil Dead

I like the Exorcist but think it's way too overhyped. Everyone was fainting and vomiting in the Exorcist audience because they were a bunch of mainstream soccer moms who would never set foot into a theater showing something like NOTLD or TCM. Friedkin and Blatty also seemed to think their audience would watch this as something more than just a horror movie---like demonic possession was something as commonplace as a cold or stomach virus. Same with the Omen movies. They just took themselves way too seriously.

Many ghost movies do the same thing. I personally don't believe in the paranormal and don't appreciate filmmakers assuming that I do.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Living Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Kelvinstein
I personally don't beleive in the paranormal and don't appreciate filmmakers assuming that I do.

No one's forcing you to watch it (no offence meant). I don't like westerns but appreciate that many people do, I just refrain from watching them. Live and let live.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Evil Dead

Re: Re: The Excorcist

Quote:
Originally posted by heapodd
Was it banned in the US for years like it was in the UK? I don't think it warranted that, but it certainly added to the hype surrounding the film.
It wasn't banned but I think it was on the Catholic Church's shit list... which is stupid if you think about it because the movie's really saying that the Church is the only thing that could fix Regan... probably one of the best pieces of PR the Catholics ever had.

I don't think it's overrated at all. Don't forget that it came out not too long after the late 1960's when the American societal fabric was all shook up... the perfect American child turning into a filthy long-haired foul-mouthed blaspheming freak was one that really resonated with a lot of people... seeing children curse, masturbate and puke on priests was really shocking at the time... the film does have its weak points but it is still a very effective horror film.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Kelvinstein
I like the Exorcist but think it's way too overhyped. Everyone was fainting and vomiting in the Exorcist audience because they were a bunch of mainstream soccer moms who would never set foot into a theater showing something like NOTLD or TCM. Friedkin and Blatty also seemed to think their audience would watch this as something more than just a horror movie---like demonic possession was something as commonplace as a cold or stomach virus. Same with the Omen movies. They just took themselves way too seriously.

Many ghost movies do the same thing. I personally don't believe in the paranormal and don't appreciate filmmakers assuming that I do.
you have a point about the films taking themselves too seriously i guess, i think i like that pompous approach when it comes to the omens though, damien is aloof personified after all.

are you sure that blatty and friedkin actually wanted the audience to believe that stuff? and, no offence or nothin here dr. k, but what do you think: i imagine the exorcists and omens really work best on still-terrified ex-catholics like myself.. call it new testament camp if you want to! ;)
Old 01-21-2004, 05:40 PM
Evil Dead

I assume Blatty believed demonic possession is possible (hell, even likely) because a few yrs ago he wrote a book about the "true" case the Exorcist was based on (mentally disturbed kid on a bad trip). As for Friedkin, he's pretty much said he believes in demonic possession in a few interviews.

I can see your point about the movie's effect on an ex-Catholic; I come from southern baptist country, so instead of demonic possession, I'm generally more frightened of inter-racial marriages, rap music, and Papists (just kidding).
Old 01-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Banned

Not scary. That's not to say it's not a great movie, it is. On my top 50 even. But it's not scary.
Also, the Classics folder is for 60's and earlier, not 70's