Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > New Member Lounge

Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat94 View Post
High School. He still gave me a good mark, just felt the need to clarify that Cannibals weren't real so we had a minor disagreement. Wrong Turn movies are good though, but I prefer Hills Have Eyes and Hillside Cannibals.. Hillside Cannibals infact was based on a true story of the Sawney Bean Clan was it? Up in Scotland I think.
Some such. I haven't seen the film, kinda heard of the Sawney Beans... He thought cannibals weren't real?! Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome! To you and everyone else =) Now I have to finish a paper, but I'd love to share it in a few weeks if anyone wants to hear about the connection between contemporary horror's Final Girl and early American captivity narrative's Republican Mother =). No matter though... it's rough right now... see you guys around!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 AM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Медвежуть View Post
i could never understand why people go to college for a few years in order to learn language they already know? you don't have to reply. i'm just talking to myself
I'd rather reply =). Three reasons:

1. Language building. You learn how to communicate more effectively and more convincingly through research/reading/writing.

2. Analysis. You learn the ins and outs of analytical query. To do this, you need to build a tool belt of critical lens. Over time, you get used to them and they become your own.

3. Tenacity. If this reply isn't proof enough of it, I'm a failed English major. Learning your own language makes you more confident, more conversational, and absolutely agitated to talk back. This isn't necessarily a good thing.

Anyway, thanks for the bait =)
Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 AM
From The Beyond

Welcome to the forum :) great to see you posting and I give you an A for the above post you'll go far :)
Old 12-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Hellraiser

So, I don't think I can stay. I have a lot of things going on right now since graduating and it's a good time to rid myself of excess duties. Sorry I couldn't start up the theory forum, but I hope someone else takes the effort.

Have a nice day =)

-Wes
Old 12-16-2012, 11:28 PM
From The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrcury View Post
So, I don't think I can stay. I have a lot of things going on right now since graduating and it's a good time to rid myself of excess duties. Sorry I couldn't start up the theory forum, but I hope someone else takes the effort.

Have a nice day =)

-Wes
That's a shame well good luck for the future :)