Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-04-2004, 12:21 AM
Evil Dead

Silent horror - but can't recall the name

I saw this pretty cool silent horror movie in my mid/late teens. It had to do with an asylum... there was a crazy guy, but at the end it showed him running the place or something? I think it was being investigated by this young man because his girlfriend went crazy or something...? It's been awhile.

For a long time I though it was Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. I've since rewatched (and bought) the great Dr. Caligari, and now remember that I saw it back-to-back on Turner Classic Movies with the movie I'm trying to recall.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? It was a cool movie, and I'm a huge fan of silent movies. I'd love to get ahold of it again.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:57 AM
EYEBALLSEESALL

I watch a lot of silents and the only movie I can think of that fits your description is Cabnet of Dr.Caligari. Maybe it was another movie trying to cash in on the sucess of Caligari, recycling the plot.

Eyeball
Old 02-05-2004, 04:36 AM
Evil Dead

It wasn't as artistic as Caligari, and didn't have the somnombulist or anything. I might have gotten some of my facts mixed up, but I definitely remember that it took place in an asylum.

Oh well.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:13 AM
Evil Dead

The plot twist sure sounds like Caligari.

I was curious and searched for 'asylum' on IMDB. Didn't find anything that sounds like the film you are talking about... but I did find this:

Système du docteur Goudron et du professeur Plume, Le (1913)

Adapted from a one-act Grand Guignol play based on Edgar Allan Poe's short story 'The System of Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether', the film portrays a visitor to an insane asylum where it becomes clear that the inmates have taken control. Telling the visitor that a cure for insanity has been found by cutting out an eye of the patient and then slitting his throat, the "director" hurries into another room, reemerges with blood all over his hands and, as blood seeps from beneath the door, incites other inmates who now surround the visitor.