Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Cement

Noroi (2005) aka Noroi: The Curse. Great paradocumental movie with all strong sides of The Blair Witch Project, with addition of very good and complicated plot. The tension, dark atmosphere are amazing and the final is one of the scariest ones I saw recently. Great movie.

Last edited by Cement; 04-30-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Bad Natured

Kwaidan (1964). Absolutely beautiful in all aspects, this little gem of a ghostly anthology is more an art form than it is a collection of stories. There are no real scares, and some of the endings can be guessed at the outset . Like classical tragedies, these short stories are instead an expose of humanity. The chilling part is how the supernatural world is so naturally integrated into these short films, creating the creepy notion that ghosts are more natural than supernatural. With incredible direction and spectacular colorful sets, they can be viewed as a purely visual treat as well. The acting of course was superb, and the cinematography splendid. Kobayashi has definitely gone to the threshold of storytelling here, and the result is nothing short of brilliant. Ashe.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:02 AM
Cranky

Premonition

Great.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 11-25-2009, 05:42 AM
Bad Natured

Goyokin (1969). Labelled as an antisamurai flick, i feel this label to be unfair. To be sure it does not portray the samurai as perfectly noble, but instead portrays them as humans caught in the impossible sitaution of holding true to their morals whilst remaining loyal to the clan, a sitaution made impossible by their corrupt government and its insuperable taxing regimen. The inimitable Tutsuya gives an incredible lead performance, playing the tortured samurai destined to make things right. The rest of the acting falls right in place, with powerful and believable performances by all. The swordplay is wonderful if not realistically brutal. The cinematography is also wonderful, being the first japanese flick to be filmed in Panavision. The opening scene is outstanding in its portrayal that something dark is to be expected. The stark realities of nature, with wickedly muddied streets and frozen landscapes where much of the fighting takes place, is an experience in itself. That the fighters must find ways to keep their hands warm such that they can at least close thier fingers on their sword's handle was a wonderful touch. The story itself was powerful and well crafted. This classic was absolutely incredible in all regards. Why this one gets so little attention is a mystery. Ashe.
derek

Old 11-26-2009, 06:12 AM
Bad Natured

Save the Green Planet (2003). Blending genres to the point of being a genre of its own design, this was a wonderfully original flick from South Korea. Don't let the DVD cover fool ya as this wickedly humorous flick is not for the light-hearted nor is it a good choice for the whole family. This one is somehow bizarre yet heart-felt, silly while being a study of cultural tragedies, torturous yet darkly comedic. With great direction and acting, and a delicious soundtrack that jumps back and forth between punk and a string section orchestra, this hidden beauty will sure to be both entertaining as well as moving. Ashe.
derek

Last edited by psycho d; 11-26-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:46 PM
links03rjean

last asian horror movie i watched is the korean movie in titled 'the doll master'...it's very creepy and scary...i couldn't remember how many times i shout...

Old 11-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Bad Natured

H (2002). A slow burning Korean flick that seems to borrow heavily from Silence of the Lambs and Sevin. While some of the imagery is rather disturbing, this is not a tense flick. This one seems to rely most heavily on the story itself, and while it was was well acted, their characters are not so important in the telling of this story. This is in itself an odd thing because their characters reveal so much history that should have been animated by their tortured pasts. Somehow, they remain pretty flat. Though the story itself was strong enough to carry it this flick, most will probably find the lightness of the characters to be a disappointment. The end was definitely worthy, and the last scene was powerful. For those that appreciate slow burning, rich Korean story-telling might just might really appreciate this one. Ashe.
derek

Old 11-27-2009, 09:05 AM
No, fuck YOU

[QUOTE=links03rjean;838016]last asian horror movie i watched is the korean movie in titled 'the doll master'...it's very creepy and scary...i couldn't remember how many times i shout...

Oh yea.

Who can forget the poop scene... really don't remember much else from it. But it was above average yes.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:10 AM
Bad Natured

Jet Li's Fearless (2006). Packed with some incredible fight scenes, this is more that just a silly story centered around lots of fighting. The story itself was well crafted. It was also an inspiration towards fomenting national pride, especially for a country that at that time in history needed a shot in the arm. I would contend that the antagonist and protagonist were really one and the same, with the moral of the story being that one must conquer oneself to... Many might be bothered with the slightly down your throat life philosophies. Whatever, as that is their loss. The ending was perfect IMHO. Ashe.
derek

Old 12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

sick nurses