Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-11-2011, 12:49 AM
M Harding-Gregory

George A Romero

I heard recently that George A Romero was the real beginning on comedy horror films even though he didnt mean to ... I was just wondering if anyone agreed and if you could tell me how it classes as comedy horror? I think Diary of the Dead was meant to be funny, but I watched it recently and just didnt find it funny
Old 10-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Whip In My Valise

I think you were misinformed.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 AM
Evil Dead

Horror/Comedy goes on before Romero and in fact very little of what Romero does is really comic to me. Dawn Of The Dead slightly brushes it, but films like Night Of The Living Dead and Martin are pretty bleak, imo.

Comedy horror could go much further back for example, Abbot and Costello films (although these are more comedy than real horror) in Brtian we had Carry On Screaming which was a spoof on horror films, particularly Hammer which always had a sense of humour in itself, as did Hitchcock.

This could go as far back as Georges Melies' film House Of The Devil in the early 1900's. It's quite comical, very slapstick like most silent films, but it's use of ghosts and effects (Melies is often considered cinema's first special effects master) was considered quite scary for the time, which wasn't Melies' intention.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:05 PM
M Harding-Gregory

So what about Sam Raimi's Evil Dead, do you reckon that was comedic? I mean I laughed my socks off when the woman gets attacked by the bushes / tree who has sexual intentions XD
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Evil Dead

Evil Dead - Primarily a horror movie, but with a dark sense of humour.

Evil Dead II - 50% Horror 50% comedy. There are a lot of gags and the humour's broader.

Army Of Darkness - If it wasn't for the first two films, I wouldn't think that this could be called a "horror" movie, more just a goofy and gory fantasy film, but there's a lot of comedy, sure.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Little Boo

George A Romero

Romero has said that his next horror movie will not involve zombies, but it’s a safe bet that it will involve artful and thought-provoking scares like only Romero can bring you.