Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Scares Little Kids

Maniac (2012)

What did everyone think of the new Maniac with Elijah Wood and did the POV gimmick work for you?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Great film - I had faith that Frodo could pull it off. Nice score too. Anyone notice the homage to the original poster.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Evil Dead

I am the opposite,i didn't like it at all.In fact i turned it off about one hour in.I didn't wish to see the ending or what happened next,i just wanted it to end.

Not the worst remake but certainly not one of the best either.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
Great film - I had faith that Frodo could pull it off. Nice score too. Anyone notice the homage to the original poster.
Ditto! Though there are some similarities in plot elements with the original but I think it deserve to be categorized as a re-imagining remake or whatever other than a straight remake. There are some fine changes or modifications they made regarding character attributes & plot developments in this new Maniac. And I appreciated that from the beginning to end. To bring the viewer into the mind of a rampant lunatic, they shot the film almost entirely from the first-person perspective where Elijah Wood on the titular character still shines convincingly only through reflections on mirror & glass, dream sequences & photographs as one very fractured young man. It was brutal and I loved it too.

Quote:
Anyone notice the homage to the original poster.
This one?

Old 11-07-2013, 01:44 AM

^actually, I haven't seen that poster before.

There was a shot where he turns to face a mirror while holding a scalp and it is framed like the original poster (which is one of my fave horror posters of all time).
Old 11-07-2013, 05:29 AM
Scares Little Kids

My podcast this week is going to be on remakes and this is for sure one of the ones we are going to talk about. I thought the first person was brilliant. It made the kills seem more brutal because it was almost like you were there. Also, someone mentioned the score. The 80's style synth score was perfect for the film. As for Frodo, he did an amazing job at adding emotion to the character despite shooting in first person and almost never getting to see his face aside from a couple mirror shots and cutaways. I thought it was amazing. Just wanted to hear some others opinions.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 AM

^Link to the podcast - I will check it out.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Scares Little Kids

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...l!/id735515885

It's free to download on iTunes with that link.

https://soundcloud.com/tastingtheintellect

Or you can just can just listen on soundcloud. It's We Want Gore Gore Gore. Cheesy title, I know. There are 2 episodes up and more to come.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:54 AM

I checked out the first 2 episodes of your Podcast - I must say I enjoyed them. You are good on the mic and the conversation flows well for an unscripted type show.

I wasn't mad about the subject matter, as it just seemed to be material that had been covered before but that's more my to do with my taste for the more obscure stuff and wanting to discover gems or info that are new to me.

I will download out the next one for sure.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
That homage definitely got a chuckle out of me.

I was the opposite with old Frodo and thought him and this remake would crash and burn but I ended up eating my words. One of the year's best for me. If they'd bothered to change a few elements of the storyline and not made it a remake I'd be calling it a modern classic. As it stands it's not as good as the original for me but still an excellent remake.

I dug the POV approach a lot. Weirdly enough that's the aspect of the film that managed to get it banned over here (aside from a brief film festival screening).