Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-06-2015, 06:13 PM
"Wrong one, bitch!"

Can anyone name recent (low budget) slashers?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could name some slasher flicks that came out between 1999-2014? I watched The Town That Dreaded Sundown from 2014 just minutes ago and I found myself wanting more. Thanks! Another one that I enjoyed was The Hills Run Red, a low budget slasher flick from 2009.

Last edited by Kill Me, Freddy Krueger!; 01-06-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Evil Dead

The only one I can think of that ISN'T a remake is All the Boys Love Mandy Lane. Some other ones I like that are remakes are The Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Maniac (which I've warmed up to since I watched it.)
Old 01-07-2015, 06:28 AM
"Wrong one, bitch!"

I've seen that one a couple of years back, great film. I haven't seen the remake of The Hills Have Eyes but that's because I'm not into the cannibalistic kind of horror. Will check out Maniac though, thanks!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:36 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill Me, Freddy Krueger! View Post
I've seen that one a couple of years back, great film. I haven't seen the remake of The Hills Have Eyes but that's because I'm not into the cannibalistic kind of horror. Will check out Maniac though, thanks!
Maniac is on Netflix if you have it. It's really gory and stylistic. I didn't like it the first time, but I rewatched it, and I enjoyed it more.

Some other good ones that I remembered are High Tension, Wrong Turn, Saw, Final Destination, Hostel, Kill List, and You're Next.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:16 AM
Evil Dead

you might enjoy leslie vernon if you are a fan. Try

scream seiries
i know what you did last summer series
urban legend 1 and 2
wrong turn series (great0
cold prey and its sequel (recommended)
sweatshop
blood widow
jersey shore massacre ( yeah well i love it so there)
bruiser
dying breed
the tripper
storm warning
wolf creek (great)
100 tears
sheitan

can also give you more if you need them, some of these are not stricly slashers but you should enjoy them . As you can tell, i'm an ever so slight fan!

Last edited by neilold; 01-08-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:18 AM
Evil Dead

Slasher is not my favorite subgenre, but some of the modern ones that I liked:

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (already mentioned)
Behind the Mask (already mentioned) - although I didn't really love the "slasher" parts that much, but the meta stuff was good

Alyce Kills
The Children
Cold Prey
Dream Home
Halloween remake series
Hatchet series
Inside
Macabre
Midnight Meat Train
My Bloody Valentine remake
Toolbox Murders
Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake series (not low budget though)
Wolf Creek

I'm using a fairly strict definition of slasher, but not quite as strict as Vera Dika. Basically, I typically require that

a) the killer is usually a single iconic type character (beyond just a psychotic regular person, like, say American Psycho) - probably masked, deformed, or somehow "different"

b) the film isn't typically about the killer (like Henry: Portrait), but rather it's about the victims

c) the victims get picked off one-by-one, so if there's only one or two deaths, I wouldn't call it a slasher

d) to some degree, the plot follows the slasher plot formula

I only mention this because there are a lot more films that I like that some might define as slasher, but I wouldn't, given that there might be a better subgenre to put it in. So, I'm not including films where a group of killers terrorizes people (The Hills Have Eyes... I broke the rule for The Children because the plot is very slasher), or captured and tortured (Saw), home invasion (You're Next), demon possessed (Evil Dead remake), or films about the killer (Found, Killers, Maniac). I like all those additional films I just mentioned though, and some would call them slashers.