Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-21-2010, 04:27 AM
Whip In My Valise

Get Involved - or else!

This woman is seriously deluded:http://www.examiner.com/government-i...er-conferences
Old 10-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Banned

Thats just retarded.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Midnight toker

I'll play devil's advocate and ask if its really such a bad idea. Don't some parents need a shot in the arm to remind them how important their childs education and progress are? Besides, the article's argument doesn't even make sense, he points the real problem at a lack of discipline in school's, but even if thats the case there's nothing to say discipline in schools cant be addressed along with this measure. It's not like this would get passed anyway if every one off discretion was punished with jail, but if a parent habitually misses these types of meetings then personally I say send 'em down for a few days.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:33 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straker View Post
I'll play devil's advocate and ask if its really such a bad idea. Don't some parents need a shot in the arm to remind them how important their childs education and progress are? Besides, the article's argument doesn't even make sense, he points the real problem at a lack of discipline in school's, but even if thats the case there's nothing to say discipline in schools cant be addressed along with this measure. It's not like this would get passed anyway if every one off discretion was punished with jail, but if a parent habitually misses these types of meetings then personally I say send 'em down for a few days.
Uh huh.:rolleyes:
Old 10-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Midnight toker

I don't get it... Why make the thread if you weren't looking for a debate about it? Are you that far up your own ass that anyone who offers an opinion that doesn't follow your thoughts on the subject is obviously just saying it to stir.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
While i think. There needs to be some encouragement for some parents to be involved. Putting them in jail is just retarded. Sorry if it seems crass. but i can;t think of a more fitting term.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
I don't get it... Why make the thread if you weren't looking for a debate about it? Are you that far up your own ass that anyone who offers an opinion that doesn't follow your thoughts on the subject is obviously just saying it to stir.
If I seriously thought that you felt people deserved to be thrown in jail for not attending a parent teacher conference I would question your sanity, but would debate. However, I remember getting into a pointless argument with you before, and deciding you were being willfully dense; either that or you truly are dumber than a box of rocks. Ignore function engaged.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Midnight toker

I seriously believe people who habitually miss parent teacher conferences would benefit from some time in jail. Honestly, I'm amazed that anyone can disregard the idea so easily. What was the point in this thread exactly if not to spark debate?
Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
I seriously believe people who habitually miss parent teacher conferences would benefit from some time in jail. Honestly, I'm amazed that anyone can disregard the idea so easily. What was the point in this thread exactly if not to spark debate?
A child gets straight As, never gets in trouble, and his/her parents skip every parent teacher conference. I see no problem there.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
A child gets straight As, never gets in trouble, and his/her parents skip every parent teacher conference. I see no problem there.
Yeah, me either. I have two kids, and they both did great in school and my daughter is doing great in college, my son starts next year.
I went to school functions on occasion, but I can't recall an urgent need from the teachers to meet with me.

And if there was a conference scheduled, and I couldn't make it, I didn't go. I did plenty at home to help my kids with school. When they were at school, I left it to the teachers to do their job.
Putting someone in jail for missing a conference, especially a good parent that cares about their child's education, is ridiculous.