Old 02-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Wanna Join?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Have you read anything else he's written?
No, but I have this which I'm saving for Halloween.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 03-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Wanna Join?

Picked up POE: A LIFE CUT SHORT by Peter Ackroyd. Some of Ackroyd's books, such as his bio of Dickens or his history of London, are massive. POE is one of his "Brief Lives" biographies and as the term suggests is quite a bit thinner. Looking forward to reading it.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 03-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Wanna Join?

Lots of stories spanning the years between 1852 and 1908, many of the authors unfamiliar to me. Looks really, really good.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Wanna Join?

Went to my favorite thrifty thrift store today and found these:

ANNO DRACULA - 35 cents
MURDER ON TRIAL - 35 cents
THE REASON WHY - 25 cents

Old 04-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Wanna Join?

Thrilling Wonder Stories --- February 1951
Fantastic Adventures --- April 1951
Startling Stories --- November 1952
Startling Stories --- July 1950

This is what happens when you check out an antique shop you've never been in before. Picked them up yesterday. Good Friday indeed!

Old 04-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Drone

Kudos sfear on your finds. I personally love diamond-in-the-rough discoveries. That said...

...that bear person looks like he may have something on his mind which needs no sidearms... or females. His expression seems to gruffly say: "I'm tired of waiting."

The woman is not expressing the fright self-preservation provokes when two people wrestle while one holds a gun. Her expression is the more awkwardly polite "Uh, do you two need me around for this?"

The human male - who isn't struggling much - seems more reticent of public observation than combat. His anxious expression seems to say "Is there no place more private?"

The small phallic-esque rocket immediately behind the bear, suggestive though it is, is completely obscured by the monstrously phallic-looking rocket angled curiously in line with the bear-creature's pelvis.

It may also be artistic coincidence that the human male's outfit's pelvic flap is similar in color to the bear person's paw.

That both males are completely indifferent to the scantily clad curvy blonde is... well... I mean I'm no Freudian analyst...

...but if I were, I would definitely start with these characters being so rendered beneath the title Startling Stories.

Last edited by totem; 04-19-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Wanna Join?

Thanks for the spot on analysis, not so much for the mental imagery.
Not sure I'll ever be able to look at this cover with the eyes of the hopelessly innocent again.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfear View Post
Thanks for the spot on analysis, not so much for the mental imagery.
Not sure I'll ever be able to look at this cover with the eyes of the hopelessly innocent again.
Thanks for being a good sport. Hopefully you'll be able to keep your mind from thinking of the cover as you read the stories within.

And do apologize to your hopeless innocence for me as it seems I've quite schlepped it up.

(Seriously though that was a crackin' catch you scored at the antique shop - well done, you!)

Last edited by totem; 04-20-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 AM
Drone

Just came in!

Although this was a screamin' deal, it's far and away the most expensive paperback I've ever bought.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:04 AM
Evil Sweat

Lemmy - White Line Fever
Bez - Freaky Dancin': Me And The Mondays
Shaun Ryder - Twistin' My Melon
Mark Manning - Fucked By Rock: The Unspeakable Confessions Of Zodiac Mindwarp