Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-23-2014, 10:57 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
The Dyatlov Pass Incident (2013) (aka Devil's Pass)

Went in not knowing much and expecting less from this found footage snowbound horror. It is pretty well acted and the 'pay off' is worth it and conclusive, which is nice for a change. I was even more shocked when I saw Renny Harlin's name as director.

Worth checking out.
I was pleasantly surprised with this one. I thought that the end was especially effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon View Post
Saw it today. Pretty good! Thanks for the rec.
And like you said, it's nice to have a conclusive ending for a change.

Thumb resize.
Ok found footage flick.

One of Roshiq's favorites!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

Indie and low-budget filmmakers take note - this is how you make an effective and good horror film on a limited budget with a single setting. Shrug off the first 15-20 minutes, and what follows is an exquisite sequence of events which would make any independent filmmaker proud. Characterisation is good enough, there's PLENTY of gore, and one very clever kill which will impress you to no end.

Not quite THE exceptional film, but it has enough to impress any contemporary horror fan, which is saying a LOT.

Very promising. Very recommended.

* * * ½
One of my favorites; just got it on Blu-ray & DVD (and I rarely buy movies now since everything is digital).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Heathen View Post
Tusk -- 8.5/10; Most reviewers missed the mark here. This is a straight-up horror comedy, with some parts being blacker than others. There is no great tonal shift. The leads are great, the creation disturbingly hilarious.
I am VERY interested in seeing this. Ooo. Maybe I'll catch a matinee this weekend (THAT'S RIGHT I'M THAT OLD).

Actually, I prefer matinees because it's cheaper and those DERN KIDS usually aren't there. *shakes broom*

Quote:
ABC's of Death 2 -- 5/10; This collection features two excellent segments, one of which uses stop-motion animation. Most of them are average.
Wow. I had no idea that this was out either. I thought the first one was disappointing but I'll still check this one out.

Does this one have the claymation short you were looking for?

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Evil Dead

The Ring

9/10

I consider The Ring a classic now. It was one of the first horror movies I watched, so I haven't seen it in a couple years. It's scary, interesting, original, and atmospheric. The twists and turns keep you interested even when the film gets a little slow. I think of The Ring as a cross between Manhunter and The Exorcist. It has the smart storytelling of Manhunter and the atmosphere of The Exorcist.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:31 AM
Pirate of Bengal

La cara oculta aka The Hidden Face (2011)

A well made, tensed thriller from Colombia. The ending was kinda unsatisfactory, expected a lot more twisted finale. I think if they gave away the plot (or sold the rights) to a contemporary Hollywood director (i.e. Darren Lynn Bousman), the last scene would turned out exactly like first SAW movie.

>>: B

The Sacrament (2013)

A disappointing flick from Ti West. Though more or less inspired by Jonestown Massacre, but kind of reminded me of Holy Ghost People which is at least better & little engaging than this one.

>>: C
Old 09-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
The Sacrament (2013)

A disappointing flick from Ti West. Though more or less inspired by Jonestown Massacre, but kind of reminded me of Holy Ghost People which is at least better & little engaging than this one.
Ti West is a competent director. Unfortunately, he fancies himself a writer.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Banned

Frankenstein the Rapist -- 1/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Does this one have the claymation short you were looking for?
Nope. Well, I have the video now, but I don't have its title.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Banned

Fertilize the Blaspheming Bombshell! -- 1.5; Avoid this one if you are sensitive to extended shower scenes with gratuitous FUPA massage. I need to get away from Troma for a while.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:43 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Ice Cream Man -- 5.5/10; Better than expected.

It had many appetizing ingredients but was a missed opportunity in my estimation. I would advise the filmmaker to spend his lunch money on one of these:
Not inexpensive. you have one, or used one?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Trollhunter (2010): 9.5/10 (This was my first viewing)

*Possible (Minor) Spoilers*

I already posted my thoughts on Villain's thread, but I will copy and paste them here:

I managed to watch the TrollHunter today and I have to say that I loved it. It may sound like some cheesy B-Horror flick, but it really isn't. It is hard to believe that a film with a "topic" such as this would work, but it actually works quite well. Despite the nature of the film, I was able to suspend my disbelief. The film may have seemed absurd at times, but it had a certain logic. It was almost like they realized what the audience would be thinking and then would answer the questions they had. One such example of this being after the characters first saw a couple of trolls killed, a veterinarian explained why they exploded or turned to stone. Eventually, later in the film, when the characters encounter others who do not know or even suspect anything of that nature, you are thinking to yourself "how could they not think trolls"? The film really got me thinking maybe there are trolls in Scandinavia, luckily I am not Christian...lol. That's when you know it's well-done. Additionally, I loved how they added that whole government keeping it secret, it paralleled a common theme in films that deal with the alien idea. That was what was so interesting about the film, it utilized many of the elements of other "found footage" films, but in a way never done before. In addition to this, there was some really top-notched acting. The characters were also really well-developed. You really are able to connect with them and you are able to see them change over the course of the film. It is really interesting to see them before their realization about trolls and after. There is definitely a real change. This is a really difficult thing for a foreign film as sometimes there is a certain disconnect because of the language. Yet, this film was able to minimize this. Additionally, there were some excellent special effects. The trolls looked really good. The film does not necessarily take the "less is more" approach, but, like with so many other things, it just works in this film. This pretty much sums it up, though I just want to add one last thing the scenery in this film is absolutely stunning! If you have not seen this film, I highly recommend it.

It is streaming on Netflix and Amazon Prime, if you are interested.

Last edited by metternich1815; 09-24-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Evil Dead

What the hell is Trollhunter even about?
Old 09-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
What the hell is Trollhunter even about?
Exactly what it sounds like.

Tags
movie