Old 11-07-2018, 02:37 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
That's kind of what I mean, it's not what she was wearing, it's the character she played. Even when she's dressed in white with blonde hair, in a film like Sleepy Hollow, she seems dark, gloomy and emotionless.

Maybe 'gothy' isn't the right word. Considering the circumstances it's not like she should be cheery, it's just the vibe... she seems like Wednesday in Sleepy Hollow to me. Of course the film hue is blue/grey and everyone looks pasty white, which is intended for mood, but that dark vibe is there too.

Although she's positive, and the scene where she give him the book she was convincingly warm, but for the rest of the film she isn't generating Glenda the Good Witch of the North in this, I don't think. But I'm probably projecting some of that on her, but that should be expected from a casting standpoint. Ricci is able to play the 'ray of light' for Icabod, but I don't think that was accomplished artistically here; not sure if that was really intended either.

I actually felt that the movie borrowed themes from The Wizard of Oz (the original book not the movie). You had four witch characters: two were good witches (Katrina Van Tassel and Ichabob's mother) and two were bad witches (Mary Van Tassel and her sister). Also Ichabob Crane was a lot like Oz being a man of science who used his own inventions, but to the people around him they thought it was very strange which was why the people of Oz mistook him for a wizard.

I guess that's why I was comparing Katrina to Glenda, though in the book her age and personality was more like the South witch (the North witch was actually an older woman). Mary and her sister were like the evil witch sisters for East and West with Mary being the more evil one just like the West witch.

Also I think Katrina was supposed to be like the female character of a detective story who you are unsure if she's good or bad. She has mysterious connections to the crime but you can't tell if she's the guilty one or if she's actually innocent. She's always either helping the detective or sabotaging him for personal reasons. She's basically like the archetypal femme fatale.

Also maybe I'm biased but I like gothy stuff. :P

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 11-07-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

BTW I dunno about Halloween but maybe this is how I'll celebrate Christmas this yeah.

"Kidnap the Sandy Claws!"

https://youtu.be/Ry7PcYtKPhA
Old 11-09-2018, 10:38 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
BTW I dunno about Halloween but maybe this is how I'll celebrate Christmas this yeah.

"Kidnap the Sandy Claws!"

https://youtu.be/Ry7PcYtKPhA
I think it's equally a christmas and halloween film, well at least the "What is This" part is.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I think it's equally a christmas and halloween film, well at least the "What is This" part is.
Well since Halloween is over this might as well be my Christmas plan this year :D

Also those three are my favorite characters in the movie. They remind me of how bratty and evil me and my brothers and sister were as little kids, and just like the witch girl my sister was the smart one bossing us around. :P

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 11-09-2018 at 10:49 AM.