Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Personally I thought Laid To Rest was a great throwback to 80s slashers. Sure there were modern elements but it was pretty straight up slice and dice which I dug.

Exit 33 was fucking terrible. Got to write up a review for that and it ain't gonna be pretty.
There are no words to describe how much i hated Laid to Rest.

For me Hatchet and House of The Devil are good throwback slashers although Hatchet seems to more pay homage to slashers then to really be a throwback.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Misanthrope

Hatchet was crap. It marketed itself as being old school but the actual film is far from it. A couple of great kills aside the humour was annoying and the film just didn't do anything for me.

I don't get the slasher comparison with House Of The Devil. Read that a few times recently. It's more of a late 70s styled occult film to me. Loved it regardless and I really should get round to picking up the VHS version of it while it's still available.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Hatchet was crap. It marketed itself as being old school but the actual film is far from it. A couple of great kills aside the humour was annoying and the film just didn't do anything for me.

I don't get the slasher comparison with House Of The Devil. Read that a few times recently. It's more of a late 70s styled occult film to me. Loved it regardless and I really should get round to picking up the VHS version of it while it's still available.
Oops yeah it's not a slasher movie at all. I meant it more as it's a throwback to 70's era horror movies.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:23 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Personally I thought Laid To Rest was a great throwback to 80s slashers. Sure there were modern elements but it was pretty straight up slice and dice which I dug.

Exit 33 was fucking terrible. Got to write up a review for that and it ain't gonna be pretty.
I agree about Laid to Rest... I consider it a throwback slasher (with a modern setting) and I thought it was fantastic. Been meaning to check it out again since the sequel just came out.

I thought that Hatchet was overrated but do consider it a throwback, though it seems at times to be trying too hard.

House of the Devil is a quintessential throwback movie to me - I thought it was brilliant and definitely caught an entire era - It's occult and not slasher, though.