Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Comics

Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraxi View Post
I'll be honest, I'm new to comic books and am currently just reading a few free ones that I picked up at the comic book shop. I find it a bit intimidating to start reading comics because there's so much out there and I don't know that much about them. If anyone has any recommendations to help me kick off, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll also be checking out some of what has already been mentioned in this thread.

As for graphic novels, what I've most recently read has been:
-Blankets by Craig Thompson
-Habibi by Craig Thompson
-Elmer by Gerry Alanguilan
I'm with you. I'm very inexperienced when it comes to comics; pretty much my younger brother, who's a comic devourer, just feeds me the occasional one that he thinks I'd enjoy. So going off of that, I'd recommend Watchmen, The Killing Joke, and Swamp Thing to start.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Didn't Shoot Bill Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
I'm with you. I'm very inexperienced when it comes to comics; pretty much my younger brother, who's a comic devourer, just feeds me the occasional one that he thinks I'd enjoy. So going off of that, I'd recommend Watchmen, The Killing Joke, and Swamp Thing to start.
Thanks, I'll check them out!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Little Boo

Army of Darkness Omnibus vol 1
good read
Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Immortal horror fan

Has anyone read The Last Resort? The writers did a Friday the 13th series before. That was so so. But The Last Resort, I heard isn't as restrained. Someone needs to come out with a good Friday the 13th comic. It could be awesome.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 AM
HDC Idol

Hack / Slash Omnibus: Vol 1

Fairly entertaining at first; really liked the concept of the red-hot killer of slashers... Ultimately, though (and I can't believe I'm saying this); for me, just pure t&a isn't enough... It got a bit redundant after a while... I would say, horror fans - definitely check out the first couple of volumes... Other than that, it's just so/so.

Powers Vol. 3: Little Deaths

Not as good as the previous volumes, but still entertaining; I like the characters enough and the world to keep reading.

Powers Vol. 4: Supergroup

REALLY loved the direction that this volume took - Definitely added a wonderful and sad layer to the story and the world... The end was absolutely heartbreaking but I am very excited to see what happens next.

American Vampire Vol. 1

American Vampire Vol. 2

Wow. WOW. I absolutely adore comics with vivid, interesting characters, and a strong narrative... And this has both of those elements - Reminds me a bit of Preacher; you have some really fascinating characters, all with a backstory, that peels back slowly - Each comic adds another layer to it.

I can't wait to get my hands on the next volume (just ordered from Amazon).

Honestly, this is HIGHLY recommended for horror fans, vampire fans, and comic fans of Preacher, Locke & Key, and the like. Looking for a strong story and strong characters? Look no further. I LOVE this comic.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:45 PM
HDC Idol

Almost forgot that I read this one too...

The Amulet, Book 1: The Stonekeeper

It's cute, but definitely more geared toward young adults... Great artwork; like a well-done anime, but not really for me... I probably would have loved this in elementary or middle school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
(So, on top of my recommendation of Locke & Key for you, I also recommend Preacher and American Vampire, just read the latter this weekend and thought you'd really enjoy it)

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 06-03-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
(So, on top of my recommendation of Locke & Key for you, I also recommend Preacher and American Vampire, just read the latter this weekend and thought you'd really enjoy it)
Ah, excellent! I'm hoping my brother has all of those so he can send them to me.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Hack / Slash Omnibus: Vol 1

Fairly entertaining at first; really liked the concept of the red-hot killer of slashers... Ultimately, though (and I can't believe I'm saying this); for me, just pure t&a isn't enough... It got a bit redundant after a while... I would say, horror fans - definitely check out the first couple of volumes... Other than that, it's just so/so.
This is on my list. I was waiting on the movie that I thought was going to star Megan Fox. Who knows what happened to that project. I've only read one issue of Hack/Slash so far. That was a crossover Annual I believe with the Suicide Girls. It was pretty good I thought. But it was the cover that made me purchase the issue.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:10 AM
I Like Ham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraxi View Post
If anyone has any recommendations to help me kick off, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Must-Reads Classics:
Miricleman by Alan Moore - my pick for the greatest comic series ever. WAY better than Watchmen, IMO. It's like, if you took Dr. Manhattan's story and stretched it out over about 20 issues, minus the politics. In short, its about a man, becoming a god, and how he copes. Plus, plenty of great twists and turns along the way. Neal Gaimen takes over for Moore, so the story continues on fairly solidly, but Moore's run MUST be read.

Swamp Thing (Alan Moore) - A lesson in how comic books should be written. And it fits the forum. To me, Moore's greatest strength is taking a character that we thought was one thing, and turning him/her into something else entirely...adding dimensions (See: Miricleman). His Swamp Thing reinvented the character. Its should be taught in schools.

Sandman (Neal Gaiman) - It deals with the lord of dreams being caught and held captive for 70 years, and then "making his way in the world today). Masterful.

Animal Man (Grant Morrison) - Pretty much anything Morrison writes is a safe bet, the man is on a genius level. His Animal Man run is akin to Moore's Swamp Thing for me.

Preacher (Garth Ennis)

Batman: A Death in the Family - A bit of a guilty pleasure for me, for nostalgia reasons. I feel this was the most monumental story line in my reading era.

Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? (Alan Moore) - The definitive "final" Superman story.

Future Classics
X-Men (Grant Morrison)
Powers (Brian Michael Bendis)
The Walking Dead (on fire right now, for good reason)
Batman: The Long Halloween
Batman: Hush
The Invisibles (Grant Morrison)
All-Star Superman (Grant Morrison) - the next definitive "final" Superman story.

The rest (stuff that keeps me reading today):
Locke & Key (SO good)
Fables (See: Locke & Key)
Thief of Thieves
Batman: The Black Mirror through Court of Owls (current)...get this!...its as good a Batman run as I have ever read.
Swamp Thing (current)
Animal Man (current)

I'd feel BEYOND confident recommending ANY of the above to ANYONE, and some (particularly the stuff at the top) triggers my snob switch if not read.

Some others I enjoy, but more as guilty pleasures:
Earth 2 (current...surprisingly good), Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE, Daredevil (current), Avengers vs. X-Men (yeah, I know), and Bendis's most recent Moon Knight run (I NEVER thought I would enjoy a Moon Night book)

Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Atrocity Exhibition

Preacher Volume 1: Gone to Texas