Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Undead

Like a fine wine...

This is just an opinion article.

I'd like to know how people feel about classics monsters/killers in movies as they age through sequel after sequel.

For instance (but not limited to):

Freddy scared the hell out of me in the first two movies. Granted, I was young, but he was not funny then, and still very creative. He actually ran after you, if he needed to. A relentless soul trapped in the mind of children, free to slaughter as he saw fit.

Over time, however, Freddy's personality (although entertaining) lost his "scare you" edge. Even in his most recent Freddy Vs. Jason, he kept his demonic, killing edge at about 35%, and put his comedic role up to the 60% mark (leaving 5% for political beliefs). Movies became full of "how is Freddy gonna kill this guy" moments rather than a "no kid, don't fall asleep!" moments.

There is some margin-of-error I give Freddy for his contributions over the years. But I see a general downgrade of scaryness to Freddy nowadays, and it's just about too late to save him.

A good thing about Wes Craven, however, is that after 6 Elm Street Movies, in which case Freddy became more and more of a Disney character, Wes was smart enough to create the New Nightmare. It was a box-office flop but it brought out the Freddy that I know and love. He was again tortured soul, hell bent on murder and mayhem. He hardly talked, but rather just stared with his wide open white eyes. He was everything I knew and loved about Freddy revisited. Even his story was interesting, switching from the Elm Street child murder caught in dreams, to a demonic spirit that is trapped within the movies to keep him at bay. I wish this all would've caught on, as Freddy's time is now up.

Others on the list include Jason-to-Jason X, the new generation of Texas Chainsaw rednecks, and Eddie Murhpy (although he was neve rmeant to be scary, so I'll let him pass).
Old 11-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Evil Dead

No offense, but after reading a few of your posts I've come to the conclusion that you're a bit too critical and won't allow yourself to just sit back and enjoy the movie.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Undead

Oh hey, no offense taken. I won't apologize for my posts or opinions, but I can defend them. There is no reason to sit through a bad movie and not respond to it. Unless, of course, you're some sort of mindless drone. In which case, clap away for everything that shines in front of you. Just make sure to mop up the drool.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:49 AM
Evil Dead

Yeah

Starting to think the same thing myself. Almost feels like the dude's constantly searching for some sort of argument.

James
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html
Old 11-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Evil Bitch From HELL

I can understand the idea of not wanting to watch mindless crap..But sometimes it gives you a break..I like all horror movies..I can normally pic a part I thought was interesting or cool...I figured most true lovers of horror could do the same..But this is just an opinion..It takes all kinds to love horror movies.:) :D
Old 11-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Horror Fan

Downside, I think I know what you mean. Unfortunately, at this time film companies in these instances pander to the mass public (i.e., usually not us hardcore Horror fans) . Fortunately there's a lot of independent outlets that could give two shits what mom and pop going to the movies on Saturday think. I think it'll change in time, I still think a lot of people right now don't want to see REALLY scary movies because of the geo-politics going on in the world today. :rolleyes:
Old 11-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Evil Dead

If there is one scene in the movie that I like then I will like the movie. But it doesnt mean that I will watch it again. I mean there is tons of crapy horror movies out there and I do own hundreds of them, but like most of us on here I am a horror fan so therefore I crave it. I do however find that I love atleast one scene in every movie. Even in movies I dislike:Troll II, Leprechaun series, 28 Days later, etc...

Fulci Lives!!!!
Old 11-05-2003, 10:29 AM
Undead

Thanks for everyone that participated in this. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone really scratched the topic. Originally, I wanted to discuss the changing of a title character from movie to movie...then it somehow got off on a subject of whether or not I personally can relax and enjoy the movie. I apologize to those ever interested in the original topic, but my character seemed to be more interesting to discuss, although I'm not sure how. The original topic was worth the discussion. Though a horse has been beaten.

If anyone wants to questions my actions/motives in the future, possibly a different thread would be appropriate.