Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing

Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 PM
7 Days Summer 2013

How far is too far? Offending Readers vs Guilty Pleasure

I am currently an independent author signed to Taylor Street Books, San Francisco and will be releasing my first horror novel in Summer 2013. As I write '7 Days' I am constantly pushing boundaries beyond comfortable. I want to be able to thrill people, turn them on and then off, making them feel bad for enjoying what they have just read. In my latest scene, for example, is receiving a prostate massage and oral sex whilst booking a hire car to travel to Hell too much?? I have dealt with masturbating priests, cannibalistic orgies, and street-side sex change operations.... Shall I just carry on pushing my own limits, hoping others will tolerate - or should I be writing with a wider audience in mind?

My first novel 'Nick' was a traditional Christmas Ghost Story with a modern twist and met with good response, this time the gloves are off and I am throwing down! (or up at some of the things lurking around my head lol!)

I suppose it boils down to whether or not i write to sell or write to indulge!!

By the way - I am nice, sweet and sane - just having a bit of fun x :p
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Cranky

Well Stuart, I think you need to tell the story that's in your heart, and not worry whether you're offending them or not. There's quite a bit of extreme horror on the market these days, and the things you describe don't really sound that far out to me.

Conversely, if you're writing just to be extreme, it's going to seem contrived. Just write the story you see, and write it the best you can.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 PM
7 Days Summer 2013

Hi Lee and thanks for your comments. I'm certainly not in the market just to write to shock - that would be a complete waste of time and space. The graphic nature of some of my scene's adds to the overall menace and flaws of the characters. This is my second novel, the first being a very steep learning curve but fairing quite well. This time I really wanted to see how far I could go with things, and as such am enjoying the write so much more!

Anyway, If you are interested in reviewing the opening material please contact me. My publishers have ok'd the opening chapter's for promo work.

Tags
7 days, books, horror author, horror novel